A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Random difficult start, rough idle, misfire, poor acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 03:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random difficult start, rough idle, misfire, poor acceleration

Hey all,

I'm hoping AW can help chime in w/ your knowledgeable 2 cents! My 2006 A6 3.2 FWD w/ 33K miles has been having a difficult start about once a week (but getting more frequent). When this occurs, there's a rough idle, poor acceleration up to 20mph and misfiring. From a stop, the car cannot make it up an incline unless it first gains some momentum/speed. Every other time, the car starts up and runs fine.

My indy Audi mechanic has tried replacing the potentiometer (p2401), changing spark plugs, replaced two coils (cylinder #3, #4 indicated misfiring) and some other adjustments but nothing has worked. Since this only happens once every few days or week, the car seems fine after each tweak or fix the mechanic's made but inevitably the same issue creeps up after a few days.

Any ideas? I've search the forums to no avail! Thanks in advance for your input! I'm not a DIYer but I'd like to suggest potential problems to the mechanic before I'm forced to bring it to the Audi dealer service center.

Last edited by ennui75; 05-27-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can you provide a VAGCOm (VCDS) scan and the stored codes?
Old 05-29-2014, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by dafrazi
Can you provide a VAGCOm (VCDS) scan and the stored codes?
could not agree more...give us some data to go on. Otherwise were are just guessing.

Based upon what you've stated as the problem, and since you've already replaced plug and wires, it could be MAF or other sensors related to ignition. go to you indy mech and ask them to give you the VCDS related to the misfires ASAP.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

No MAF in the 3.2 but otherwise I agree with the two previous posters. Get the car scanned by someone with a VAG specific scan tool like VAG-COM and post the results. There are a lot of possibilities and the scan should point you in the right direction.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When was the fuel filter last changed? I'm betting never! and that will cause issues especially as dirty as fuel is today...your burning corn/wheat fuel which is not the best for direct injection systems..change the fuel filter and every other tank or so run the ZERO Ethanol fuel, your engine/injectors/valves etc will love it. Find the stations near you:

http://pure-gas.org/
Old 06-04-2014, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mystrodo
When was the fuel filter last changed? I'm betting never! and that will cause issues especially as dirty as fuel is today...your burning corn/wheat fuel which is not the best for direct injection systems..change the fuel filter and every other tank or so run the ZERO Ethanol fuel, your engine/injectors/valves etc will love it. Find the stations near you:

http://pure-gas.org/
Turns out there is a ZERO ethanol gas station 2min away from my house.
I filled up yesterday and I could swear the car idled much smoother then it typically does when I first start it in the morning.

I'll continue to fill up there for the next little while to see what happens. I hear one can also expect better mpg with zero ethanol fuel.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replace the rest of the coilpacks. There's a recall on them.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

This is the OP - AW wouldn't let me response to the thread (weird error) so I created a new login.

Thanks for the responses - I came back from a biz trip and the mechanic had replaced the MAF sensor. Not sure if a simple cleaning would have worked but I read that it's a common problem. So far, so good - after 1.5 weeks!

If this problem returns, I'll ask my mechanic for the codes and post them here! Thanks again for your help!
Old 07-08-2014, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Update - so the issues and CEL came up again after two weeks. I decided to bring the car to the dealer to get a diagnosis. They did a (long overdue) ECU software update and said the car needed a carbon cleaning on the intake manifold and valves for $1200.

After reading some forum posts about the ongoing carbon build up problem, I called Audi of America to voice my thoughts. Audi of America said they would call my local dealer (Audi Beverly Hills) and see if they could assist in my car issues. The dealer called me back the next day and said they would do the carbon cleaning for free and threw in a free rental. Hopefully the software update and carbon cleaning fixes the problem but I was very impressed and thankful how Audi of America and Audi Beverly Hills handled the situation - especially for a 2007 vehicle!
Old 07-08-2014, 10:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gmen75
Update - so the issues and CEL came up again after two weeks. I decided to bring the car to the dealer to get a diagnosis. They did a (long overdue) ECU software update and said the car needed a carbon cleaning on the intake manifold and valves for $1200.

After reading some forum posts about the ongoing carbon build up problem, I called Audi of America to voice my thoughts. Audi of America said they would call my local dealer (Audi Beverly Hills) and see if they could assist in my car issues. The dealer called me back the next day and said they would do the carbon cleaning for free and threw in a free rental. Hopefully the software update and carbon cleaning fixes the problem but I was very impressed and thankful how Audi of America and Audi Beverly Hills handled the situation - especially for a 2007 vehicle!
Wow nice! Im surprised Audi is going to do it for free.

With your symptoms I think the carbon cleaning will fix it. Especially if it's never been done before.

Quick Reply: Random difficult start, rough idle, misfire, poor acceleration