A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Radio stuck in mute-2006 A6 avant

Old 12-14-2009, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio stuck in mute-2006 A6 avant

I've found a few threads with this issue but none mentioned what was done to fix it. My symptoms are that the speaker is set to mute as if the volume button was depressed. I am quite sure nothing has spilled on the console. Also the sound button (lower right) does not open the page to adjust fading, tone, etc. That same button does work if under car or setup however no access to the Sound area. I have tried rebooting the MMI, I checked all fuses in the trunk, I fiddled with the buttons about 1000 times but nothing. When I use VAG is says address 47 'no response from sound system' and I get a no response from controller fault code set under the CAN gateway.

Any guess if the problem would most likely be the amplifier, the MMI control unit, or the connections? If someone with these symptoms knows the likely culpret I'll try to find a used unit.

I appear to be receiving the radio stations because it shows the song titles, originally the CD's appeared on pause but since I ejected them while testing they now load titles but don't play (pause and mute).

One more clue, when it first happened it didn't break 100%, for about 5 minutes I was able to get a short burst of sound as I jumped from radio band am/fm/cd until it broke completely. Makes me guess a component meltdown rather than a fuse situation.

Thanks in Advance!
Joe
Old 12-14-2009, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

did you check out the tsb's? maybe there is a fix for this in there.

Sounds like something is loose - maybe a connection; but thats just a guess.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Last night I found a TSB that is similar to my problem, I'll see if I can convince the dealer the issue is the same. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Radio Stuck in Mute

Have the amplifier checked out. The amplifier on my 2006 A6 Avant burned out - literally, a nice, acrid odor - shortly after the speakers started to mysteriously mute. The amplifier is in the back of the car, to the left just in front of the tailgate, along with the electronics controller board. There is an Avant TSB about the water hose to the rear window leaking - and it can leak on to the amplifier and controller board, causing either other both to burn out (as happened to mine, fortunately both replacements covered under warranty). Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by BongoCruiser
I've found a few threads with this issue but none mentioned what was done to fix it. My symptoms are that the speaker is set to mute as if the volume button was depressed. I am quite sure nothing has spilled on the console. Also the sound button (lower right) does not open the page to adjust fading, tone, etc. That same button does work if under car or setup however no access to the Sound area. I have tried rebooting the MMI, I checked all fuses in the trunk, I fiddled with the buttons about 1000 times but nothing. When I use VAG is says address 47 'no response from sound system' and I get a no response from controller fault code set under the CAN gateway.

Any guess if the problem would most likely be the amplifier, the MMI control unit, or the connections? If someone with these symptoms knows the likely culpret I'll try to find a used unit.

I appear to be receiving the radio stations because it shows the song titles, originally the CD's appeared on pause but since I ejected them while testing they now load titles but don't play (pause and mute).

One more clue, when it first happened it didn't break 100%, for about 5 minutes I was able to get a short burst of sound as I jumped from radio band am/fm/cd until it broke completely. Makes me guess a component meltdown rather than a fuse situation.

Thanks in Advance!
Joe