A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

PRNDS Lights on Solid

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PRNDS Lights on Solid

So today when I got in the car I had my phone between the shifter and MMI selector wheel. So I back up and then go to put the car in drive and the shifter hits my phone and then suddenly PRNDS light up.
I turn the car off and back on with no changes. The lights come on instantly as the screen lights up.
The car drives just fine, even Sport mode works just fine, so the car isn't in limp mode so I'm thinking the circuit board underneath the shifter might be bad or something because TIP mode doesn't work.
I haven't scanned the car with a VAGCOM since I don't have one but after a few google searches , the circuit board is the first conclusion I came to.
I'm I right in thinking that? If I am, how much would it cost for a new circuit board and how hard would it be to replace?
Hopefully it's not something else that is broken.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

I backed out of the garage today and when I put it in drive, everything went back to normal. I haven't tried TIP mode yet but the display works just fine now. Weird.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would double check theres not water leaking into the passenger side floor. I don't recall if the C6 TCM is located under there like all of the previous generation Audi's.

Your phone certainly wouldn't have caused any problems. You didn't spill any liquids on that section did you? It makes more sense that all the lights came up because you put it in drive and something went wrong, rather than the shifter hitting your phone.

Double check your cowl panel and sunroof drains. Clean them and make sure the drains work correctly. All of selectors lighting up usually indicates your car is in limp mode. Without any codes or a VAG-Com it's really hard to diagnose a problem.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 116 Posts

The TCM in the C6 is inside the transmission and the shifter is a mechanical linkage. I had thought that the shift mechanism would be purely electronic but I saw the linkage myself when helping 4Dr1ver4 re-install the tranny in a C6 Avant.

Last edited by SchwarzS6; 05-16-2014 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Its probably just a electrical bug or something of the sort. Still, it would be interesting if someone was able to use a VAG-Com to find what is going on when this happens.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by FormulaElement
I would double check theres not water leaking into the passenger side floor. I don't recall if the C6 TCM is located under there like all of the previous generation Audi's.

Your phone certainly wouldn't have caused any problems. You didn't spill any liquids on that section did you? It makes more sense that all the lights came up because you put it in drive and something went wrong, rather than the shifter hitting your phone.

Double check your cowl panel and sunroof drains. Clean them and make sure the drains work correctly. All of selectors lighting up usually indicates your car is in limp mode. Without any codes or a VAG-Com it's really hard to diagnose a problem.
Is your A6 front wheel drive with CVT? Always scan for fault code and get proper diagnosis before doing anything else.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by enoch861
So today when I got in the car I had my phone between the shifter and MMI selector wheel. So I back up and then go to put the car in drive and the shifter hits my phone and then suddenly PRNDS light up.
I turn the car off and back on with no changes. The lights come on instantly as the screen lights up.
The car drives just fine, even Sport mode works just fine, so the car isn't in limp mode so I'm thinking the circuit board underneath the shifter might be bad or something because TIP mode doesn't work.
I haven't scanned the car with a VAGCOM since I don't have one but after a few google searches , the circuit board is the first conclusion I came to.
I'm I right in thinking that? If I am, how much would it cost for a new circuit board and how hard would it be to replace?

Is your A6 front wheel drive with CVT? Always scan for fault code and get proper diagnosis before doing anything else.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
The TCM in the C6 is inside the transmission and the shifter is a mechanical linkage. I had thought that the shift mechanism would be purely electronic but I saw the linkage myself when helping 4Dr1ver4 re-install the tranny in a C6 Avant.
That explains why I was able to drive the car just fine.

Originally Posted by FormulaElement
Its probably just a electrical bug or something of the sort. Still, it would be interesting if someone was able to use a VAG-Com to find what is going on when this happens.
Hopefully it was just a bug. I wish I had a VAGCOM, I would have scanned it for you guys. If it happens again, I'll try and find one.

Originally Posted by audiperhaps1
This is absolutely crazy as I experienced the EXACT same thing today. An hour later when I was back in the car the problem completely self corrected. I don't know how/why it started, what fixed it, and if it will ever return.
It hasn't happened since and I've put about 300 miles ever since. So hopefully it was just a one time thing.

Originally Posted by oaktreelimb
No, I have Quattro. I don't have a VAGCOM so I couldn't scan it, otherwise I would have. But the issue fixed itself miraculously.

Last edited by enoch861; 05-19-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by enoch861
​​​​ I know is an old post but in the hope that it will help someone...same thing happened to me last week and I've opened the thing under the shifter, moved the circuit board a little bit and everything went back to normal. Hope it will be your case two, easy fix and most important...no money spent.😁
Old 04-21-2017, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Cristi Mihaescu
​​​​ I know is an old post but in the hope that it will help someone...same thing happened to me last week and I've opened the thing under the shifter, moved the circuit board a little bit and everything went back to normal. Hope it will be your case two, easy fix and most important...no money spent.😁
Everything went back to normal somehow. Haven't had that issue to this day.

Quick Reply: PRNDS Lights on Solid