A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Potential Oil Leak Fix for Cam Girdle Joint

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2023, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 112 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Sallad
Why not just fix it properly?

This is a weird "band-aid" fix. For the time to cut out the little sheets and add sealant, etc. you could have just done it correctly.

Its not a hard job, just takes a little time. Nothing crazy though.
what do you mean little time?? This is a labour intensive job, and if you are paying a mechanic, it will cost you a good chunk of money.
and to to say on a 4.2, that is an engine out job.

Old 06-10-2023, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 151 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by G-Can
what do you mean little time?? This is a labour intensive job,
Have you ever done this job? Dont you pay a mechanic to do all your work?
Old 06-10-2023, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Sallad
Have you ever done this job? Dont you pay a mechanic to do all your work?
No, but I do know that for any V8 or V10 in a C6 series car and a V10 in a D3 series car, you are taking the engine out.
Now if you have a V6 or a v4, you probably can do the work in the car, but be clear, this is still a upper level job. not just replacing valve cover gaskets, or even a carbon cleaning, you are playing with the timing. Taking the upper chains off.

Not really for the faint of heart. and yes, if you do it in the car, you will be spending a fair amount of time on the project.
The following users liked this post:
AudiAllTheWay (06-10-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A6Gary
The poor engine design that Audi AG used for a camshaft girdle in the 3.2L V6 engine will eventually result in an oil leak into the spark plug wells (this problem also exists on other Audi engines). IAW the Audi official repair for this oil leak, you would need to remove the camshaft girdle, which requires an expensive/time consuming removal of the upper timing chain assembly and the camshafts to replace a low cost elastomer seal. Being a mechanical engineer and well versed in auto mechanicals, I do not understand why Audi AG engineers designed a two-piece head that has a known oil leak pathway that would requires an expensive maintenance cost for the car owner as the engine ages beyond the warranty period. For my 2006 A6 Avant, I am planning to install aluminum sleeves into the spark plug wells that was discussed on the Q5 MKI forum (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...e-fix-3053694/). This installation will be in conjunction with replacing the valve cover gaskets. Once I have these sleeves installed, I will post my experience with this non-OEM retrofit, which may be of interest to other Audi owners having this stupid cam girdle design oil leak issue.
Is this fix still holding up for you? I have the exact same year, make and model with the exact same problem for a couple years now. Thankfully it's only 1 well and it's leaking pretty slowly, but I'd still love to fix it. I just wish that site sold the pieces individually.
Old 08-08-2023, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 171 Likes on 150 Posts

After ~1.0K miles, the aluminum sleeves are working AFAIK. When I installed the sleeves while replacing the valve cover gaskets, there wasn't any oil in any of the driver's side spark plug wells that I found earlier while I was changing the spark plugs. So, the oil leak may have been very slow as well since the mileage between the spark plug maintenance and the valve cover maintenance was only ~1.0K miles. For me, it was well worth the price to install a permanent fix for the awful Audi engine head design.
Old 08-08-2023, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by A6Gary
After ~1.0K miles, the aluminum sleeves are working AFAIK. When I installed the sleeves while replacing the valve cover gaskets, there wasn't any oil in any of the driver's side spark plug wells that I found earlier while I was changing the spark plugs. So, the oil leak may have been very slow as well since the mileage between the spark plug maintenance and the valve cover maintenance was only ~1.0K miles. For me, it was well worth the price to install a permanent fix for the awful Audi engine head design.
Thank you for the update! I reached out to the seller to see if they'd be willing to sell the pieces individually. I can't really afford $200-300 at the moment.. but it's definitely worth that to fix an otherwise expensive/difficult repair.
Old 08-08-2023, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 151 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by sswari
for any V8 or V10 in a C6 series car and a V10 in a D3 series car, you are taking the engine out.
Wow, didn't know you had to pull then engine. Damn
Old 08-08-2023, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Call it over engineering or awful head design but I think Audi assumes when you’re pulling the engine to do a V8 or V10 timing chain job then replace the cam girdle gaskets at the same time. The design intent was for a lightweight high revving valve train by having the rockers under the cams hence the girdle gasket. The unconventional fix of using aluminum tubes and sealant may buy some time, but by the time spark plug wells are filling with oil due to girdle gasket leaks then a chain job is likely due soon.
Old 08-09-2023, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiAllTheWay
Call it over engineering or awful head design but I think Audi assumes when you’re pulling the engine to do a V8 or V10 timing chain job then replace the cam girdle gaskets at the same time. The design intent was for a lightweight high revving valve train by having the rockers under the cams hence the girdle gasket. The unconventional fix of using aluminum tubes and sealant may buy some time, but by the time spark plug wells are filling with oil due to girdle gasket leaks then a chain job is likely due soon.
I should probably go and pull a few of my coils to see if the old tighten down your valve cover screws did the trick. Had several wells with oil in them, and just as many cover screws that were barely hand tight, with the rest not even in spec.
Old 08-13-2023, 10:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I bought a 6 pack and installed them last night. I'll update after a while if anybody else is interested. I understand this is just a "band-aid," but it seems like a fairly long term band-aid on a fairly old car that doesn't feel worth paying for a crazy amount of labor to replace a cheap gasket.

However, I'm not exactly thrilled that I paid so much for these things... They are literally just cheap aluminum sleeves. I probably could have just measured the spark plug well and purchased some thin aluminum tubing and cut them myself. But I guess I do appreciate the convenience of pulling them out of an envelope and popping them right into the engine.

Quick Reply: Potential Oil Leak Fix for Cam Girdle Joint