A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Plastic on MMI knob bubbling and peeling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 12:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic on MMI **** bubbling and peeling.

I searched the site and can't find anything pertaining to this issue. I took my car in last Thursday for the 45k service, and the bubbling and peeling of the plastic on the MMI **** is one of the things I addressed since the car will be out of warranty soon. They called me today to tell me that the peeling is "normal wear and tear" and that it's from skin oils or lotions. Riiiight. I don't have nav so the **** sees minimal use. My car wont be ready until this Thursday so I can't provide pics. I'll be trading the car in soon this isn't something I'll have to live with.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Milehi
I searched the site and can't find anything pertaining to this issue. I took my car in last Thursday for the 45k service, and the bubbling and peeling of the plastic on the MMI **** is one of the things I addressed since the car will be out of warranty soon. They called me today to tell me that the peeling is "normal wear and tear" and that it's from skin oils or lotions. Riiiight. I don't have nav so the **** sees minimal use. My car wont be ready until this Thursday so I can't provide pics. I'll be trading the car in soon this isn't something I'll have to live with.
I had this happen on the volume control ****. The metallic-looking cover peeled off. Dealer just fixed it for me under warranty. They kept my car and gave me a loaner for 4 days while they waited for the part to arrive.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your talking about the black soft peeling stuff thats on top of the actual plastic then what you can do is just literally peel it all off and just clean under it with a soft cloth. I had the same thing happen and I just peeled it all off and its like brand new now. The same thing happened with the hand pull on the center compartment in the front, again just peel it off.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'll be trading the car in soon this isn't something I'll have to live with.
Isn't the solution of trading in your car to a small plastic **** with excessive wear a little extreme?

Either go to another dealer about replacing it or buy a new one which will be a lot cheaper than buying another car.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

PEEL IT OFF
Old 04-22-2009, 10:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm not trading the car in because of the ****; it's just time for something different. But they will probably lose my business over this (and other issues).

I've always butted heads with this dealer's service dept. They put a deep four inch scratch in the door of my 2005 Allroad and curb rashed a rim on it's first service visit, then refused to own up to it. I took the car to another dealer for the remainder of the time I owned it. I then bought the 2007 A6 S Line at another dealer, but decided to give this dealer another chance(it's two miles from my office) but things really haven't changed there. With 17 Audi dealers in Southern California, you would think they would be trying to keep my business. I'm in sales and customer service (replacement hips/knees/spine screws,ect) and expect more from these guys. I want service that matches the price I pay for the cars I drive. Both my brothers drive different brands of luxury cars and never have to hassle with the dealer. My girlfriend's service visits to Toyota are painless. I have no problem peeling the rubber off the ****, but I think it's silly for them to not step up since the car isn't even a year and a half old. The scratch on my Allroad and the **** (and other issues not addressed) on the A6 will cost them over 100k in lost sales in two years. They're wasting my time and time is money. Rant over, gotta get back to work.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:45 AM
Cat Herder

My **** has 83,000 miles on it and it doesn't peel...

"settle down, Beavis!"

Never took particular care in what I had on my hands either for oils or lotions.

the new cars (A4 and Q5) don't have any of these nice textures on them anymore, it's all plastic...
Old 04-22-2009, 12:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've always butted heads with this dealer's service dept. They put a deep four inch scratch in the door of my 2005 Allroad and curb rashed a rim on it's first service visit, then refused to own up to it.
I hope you called Audi Customer Care about this issue at the time? I had a simialr issue with an Audi dealer here in the Boston area (thankfully bought out recently by a auto chain that seems to have improved service quality). I took my Audi in for an isse with only 1400 miles on it (for a vibration) and they scratched my front bumper but claimed it was there. I fought them tooth and nail and got no where. I called Audi customer care and explained the whole thing. I don't know if Audi forced them to pay or Audi payed for it but Audi told me to take it in there and it will all be taken care of and I'd be given an A4 loaner. The dealer were still @ssholes about it but it was taken care of and repaired. Needless to say, I never went back to that dealer ever again. Now they're owned by another big auto chain recently and I've heard most of the monkey's are gone and service is much better.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default The MMI ****

Heads up I had this problem too and then I realized it was about a 17 dollar part. I figured it was probably super expensive but then it ended up being very cheap.

So -- I just ordered a new one from an online audi dealer / retailer. Its also surprisingly super easy to install. Pull up (absolutely vertically, dont twist it or try to bend it) and the old one comes off, push the new one on (its a press fit on the "stalk).
Old 04-23-2009, 07:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BVegas
Heads up I had this problem too and then I realized it was about a 17 dollar part. I figured it was probably super expensive but then it ended up being very cheap.

So -- I just ordered a new one from an online audi dealer / retailer. Its also surprisingly super easy to install. Pull up (absolutely vertically, dont twist it or try to bend it) and the old one comes off, push the new one on (its a press fit on the "stalk).
Thanks, good to know.

Quick Reply: Plastic on MMI knob bubbling and peeling.