A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Picking up a 2006 Audi A6 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by iamghana
i know, emphasis on GOOD and VCDS. back to doing some research. i couldnt find the right wording but looks like VCDS is what i should request
Emphasis on mechanics with experience with this gen audi cars. You can always instantly sell a used vcds cable for 85% of what you paid for it. Net cost of ownership is small. Great value.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:25 AM
A8L 4.0T | Brooklyn

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Worldwidebeagle
Emphasis on mechanics with experience with this gen audi cars. You can always instantly sell a used vcds cable for 85% of what you paid for it. Net cost of ownership is small. Great value.

got it. i recently ordered an Autel VAG505 scan tool, found here

http://www.autelshop.com/wholesale/a...scan-tool.html

does anyone have any experience with this device? i read the specs and description, looks like it can be useful.

i know it doesnt compare to VAGCOM but i can start with this, this will be an upgrade to my regular OBD scanner
Old 02-27-2014, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Did you look online about that tool?

"It mainly reads and erases Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs)"

Thats it!

You can get the same small amount of info from Chinese cables for $10 on ebay night and day.

It will not let you recode ANY modules, not let read in real time what the hell is going on in your engine, transmission, brakes; nor will it do adaptations, nor do 95% of what a VCDS will do.

Its a WASTE of $150 to start with this. its not much of an upgrade to an OBD and pales in comparison to a real VCDS or VAGCOM system.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:26 PM
A8L 4.0T | Brooklyn

Did you look online about that tool? "It mainly reads and erases Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs)" Thats it! You can get the same small amount of info from Chinese cables for $10 on ebay night and day. It will not let you recode ANY modules, not let read in real time what the hell is going on in your engine, transmission, brakes; nor will it do adaptations, nor do 95% of what a VCDS will do. Its a WASTE of $150 to start with this. its not much of an upgrade to an OBD and pales in comparison to a real VCDS or VAGCOM system.
Ugh feeling like a total loser here

At this point since I'm not that savy with the mechanics of these vehicles. I am just going to use it to scan the vehicle for errors on the engine, transmission and abs. At least I know what the issue is before I go to my independent mechanic.

As far as recoding modules and all that stuff. It's a work in progress i am sure I will get there soon
Old 02-27-2014, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Did you look online about that tool?

"It mainly reads and erases Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs)"

Thats it!

You can get the same small amount of info from Chinese cables for $10 on ebay night and day.

It will not let you recode ANY modules, not let read in real time what the hell is going on in your engine, transmission, brakes; nor will it do adaptations, nor do 95% of what a VCDS will do.

Its a WASTE of $150 to start with this. its not much of an upgrade to an OBD and pales in comparison to a real VCDS or VAGCOM system.
Agreed with the what was written above.

Just get yourself and the proper cable and be done with it: http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/cat/VCDS.html

Or on the classified section here: AW or on QW folks sell their cables from time to time
Old 02-27-2014, 02:00 PM
A8L 4.0T | Brooklyn

Originally Posted by raj99
Agreed with the what was written above.

Just get yourself and the proper cable and be done with it: http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/cat/VCDS.html

Or on the classified section here: AW or on QW folks sell their cables from time to time
everyone keeps referring to "CABLE". what is this cable?

is it the cable that connects the computer to the car? or a cable attached to a device?

im sorry about these questions.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ross Tech sells several cables that connect the data port under your dash to your computer. The cable ALSO acts as an electronic pass key allowing the Ross Tech VCDS software to operate. The VCDS software is easily downloaded by everyone, BUT WILL ONLY WORK with the Ross Tech cable.

SO, when someone says Ross Tech Cable OR VCDS - what they are truly saying is: Ross Tech Cable connected to a laptop running the latest version of Ross Tech VCDS software. With this cable, you can run the latest version of the software and get all updates for free.

Please go to the Ross Tech site and read....
Old 02-27-2014, 04:34 PM
A8L 4.0T | Brooklyn

Ross Tech sells several cables that connect the data port under your dash to your computer. The cable ALSO acts as an electronic pass key allowing the Ross Tech VCDS software to operate. The VCDS software is easily downloaded by everyone, BUT WILL ONLY WORK with the Ross Tech cable.

SO, when someone says Ross Tech Cable OR VCDS - what they are truly saying is: Ross Tech Cable connected to a laptop running the latest version of Ross Tech VCDS software. With this cable, you can run the latest version of the software and get all updates for free.

Please go to the Ross Tech site and read....

thank you for everything; i am positive you know you are a wealth of info.

i will research the Ross Tech material and technology and educate myself.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Iamghana I have an extra vagcom cable, it's one of those Chinese brands, but allows access to rosstech lite tools. It'll still do more than the link to the $150+ scanner you sent

I ended up buying a genuine rosstech cable, since I was doing more than just the basic stuff...so if you want the cable PM me and I'll send it your way

Keep leveraging the insight on this forum and use the search function, and you'll be fine. Cheers
Old 02-27-2014, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am going to look at an 06 A6 this weekend, coming from an 05 A8....what are the big things to look for, and yes I have a VCDS cable. It has 67K on it , 3.2L

Quick Reply: Picking up a 2006 Audi A6 3.2