A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

parking break warning

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default parking break warning

I am new here. My 2005 A6 3.2 break warning light was on and off for a while. I thouhgt front break pads are worn out and I replaced front break pads yesterday with the helps from postings. Both front pads have at least 1/8 inches to sensor wire. My parking break warning is on since this morning. I checked break fluid level and it is at max level. What cause break warning light? According to the posts I read, there is no sensor on the rear break. Thansk for your hlep.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

The parking brake is all electro-mechanical - My light came on and stayed on - it was the parking brake control module - brace yourself - its not cheap.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I tried parking brake many times after I read your reply and it is working fine. Even though parking break is working fine, do you think parking brake control module is the cause?

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2011, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

make sure you have the sensor connectors on well. Another thing is short out the leads and see if the warning light goes away; I kept an old connector where i short out the wires for just this reason.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In order to find out what cause your parking brake light to come on you need to scan your car, then we will be able to help you
Old 05-15-2011, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What is the exact error?! If it is the 'brake pads limit' ... Or something like that then the issue is with your front brake pads and they need to be replaced. However if ur error is a 'P' with a slash through it then the issue is with ur parking brake. If it is your ebrake, then is it workin (engaging & disengaging) fine?
Old 05-16-2011, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I replaced front brake pads two days ago due to on and off brake error meassages. My old break pads has more than 1/8 inches to the pads sensor wire. When I test drive my car after the brake pads replacemnet, everything worked fine without any error message. But, I got an error message a 'P' with a slash through it when I drove my car yesterday. My car parking brake works fine (engaging & disengaging)at this time. I haven't checked rear brake pads, but do you think thin rear brake pads can triger the error message?
Old 05-16-2011, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Rear brake pads don't have sensors - they just squeal when they need replacement.

The P with the slash is your parking brake - not your brake pads.

I had that same issue when an indy replaced my rear brake pads (P with slash would not go away from dash) - and the parking brake control module was replaced a couple of month before at the dealer. The indy said he let the battery discharge and the error went away the next morning.

hth

Originally Posted by kornerstone2
I replaced front brake pads two days ago due to on and off brake error meassages. My old break pads has more than 1/8 inches to the pads sensor wire. When I test drive my car after the brake pads replacemnet, everything worked fine without any error message. But, I got an error message a 'P' with a slash through it when I drove my car yesterday. My car parking brake works fine (engaging & disengaging)at this time. I haven't checked rear brake pads, but do you think thin rear brake pads can triger the error message?
Old 05-16-2011, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I found Audi A6 TSB List from below link
http://www.uberlame.com/a6_tsb/Audi%...TSB%20List.htm
It shows that if electronic parking break hasn't been used for a long period of time, it can cause EPB error warning. I drove my car after engaged and disengaged parking brake handful of times and the EPB warning is gone. I don't know whether the problem is fixed or not, but at least the EPB error warning is gone at this time.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:51 PM
caf
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kornerstone2
I found Audi A6 TSB List from below link
http://www.uberlame.com/a6_tsb/Audi%...TSB%20List.htm
It shows that if electronic parking break hasn't been used for a long period of time, it can cause EPB error warning. I drove my car after engaged and disengaged parking brake handful of times and the EPB warning is gone. I don't know whether the problem is fixed or not, but at least the EPB error warning is gone at this time.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help.
I had these symptoms and it eventually got worse. Usually it would go away after cycling the EPB off and on a couple of times, but once or twice I had a hard time getting the EPB disengaged, which would have stranded me!

Eventually, my dealer replaced the EPB control unit, which was under warranty. Very expensive part (> $1000 from dealer), but some others have found it MUCH cheaper elsewhere. In my case, a couple of weeks after the control unit was replaced, the EPB warnings returned. Dealer said the problem was corrosion in the EPB wiring harness. They replaced the harness and the problem has not come back.

Supposedly, trouble with the EPB is more likely if you don't use it much. It is recommended to cycle the EPB periodically. If you ask me this is an example of replacing a time-tested reliable system with a new, overly complicated system with astronomical repair costs, all for something that most auto transmission cars seldom use anyway.