A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
View Poll Results: Oyster Grey Mettalic
Love it
73.68%
Unsure about it - looks too blue or purple
26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Oyster Grey Metallic - like or dislike

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oyster Grey Metallic - like or dislike

I am contemplating purchasing a 2009 A6 in this color but I am having to buy it sight unseen since I am 750 miles away (I have photos and had an independent mechanic look over the car). I think I like the color but in some of the pictures it looks purple. I don't want anything to do with a purple car. But a cool gray metallic is of interest. Those who have one or have seen one, what are your thoughts?
Old 10-06-2010, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I seen one on the showroom, I like the color itself but did not like the fact that the color have a purple tint to it when it is in natural light or under sunlight. The salesman told me that is why the oyster grey is not as popular as quartz or condor grey. BTW, condor grey has a blue tint to it.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Take a look in my picposter. There are a few shots of my Oyster Grey 200 A6. The car looks excellent in this color and there are not many of them out there. I see where you can say it looks a bit purple at times but for the most part it looks dark grey. Hope this helps you a bit in your decision.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by V6UnderPressure
Take a look in my picposter. There are a few shots of my Oyster Grey 200 A6. The car looks excellent in this color and there are not many of them out there. I see where you can say it looks a bit purple at times but for the most part it looks dark grey. Hope this helps you a bit in your decision.
This^^^

When it's really clean it has a slight purple tint to it when the sun hits it at certain angles otherwise it looks grey...my fav VW color.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the color. I have it on my 2005. Under a lot of sun and in only up close it looks purple at times. It is a rare color and I think it looks awesome.
Take a look at my signature (link to album). All the photos are of that color, and you just can't see purple anywhere...
Old 10-06-2010, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by olikoli
I love the color. I have it on my 2005. Under a lot of sun and in only up close it looks purple at times. It is a rare color and I think it looks awesome.
Take a look at my signature (link to album). All the photos are of that color, and you just can't see purple anywhere...
You wont see the purple in pictures, but its visible in real life.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just bought a 2011 PremPlus A6 in Quartz Metallic. Absolutely love it. I have no idea what this purple talk is about. In strong daylight it is a nice lighter silver in darker light it is deep metal silver.

I'm coming off a Jet Black BMW 5-series and was looking at Titanium silver or Space Gray. the Space Gray seemed too "Gunship Gray". The Audi QM is a nice rich color. Was orginally looking at an S4 in QM but the A6 is better suited for my real driving needs.

Good Luck.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by abudoggie
Just bought a 2011 PremPlus A6 in Quartz Metallic. Absolutely love it. I have no idea what this purple talk is about. In strong daylight it is a nice lighter silver in darker light it is deep metal silver.

I'm coming off a Jet Black BMW 5-series and was looking at Titanium silver or Space Gray. the Space Gray seemed too "Gunship Gray". The Audi QM is a nice rich color. Was orginally looking at an S4 in QM but the A6 is better suited for my real driving needs.

Good Luck.
OK... Im an idiot.. I misread this. Too excited about my Quartz Metallic I guess. I actually can see the purple issue in the Oyster. So guess you know what my vote would be... go QM.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by abudoggie
OK... Im an idiot.. I misread this. Too excited about my Quartz Metallic I guess. I actually can see the purple issue in the Oyster. So guess you know what my vote would be... go QM.
Let's see some pics of the QM...
Old 10-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've owned my '06 Oyster Grey 4.2 A6 for a few months and have had many compliments about the color. 95% of the time it's a deep rich grey with an almost pearl effect. 5% of the time a glimmer of purple jumps out. It bugs me a little when I notice it, but overall I'm extremely happy with the color.

Before I purchased the car I brought it to the local Audi dealer for a pre purchase inspection, and there were no less than a half dozen techs huddled around it. Apparently it's a very rare color to have and they dont see many. (Incidentally, the only squawk on the whole vehicle was the broken armrest latch - and I scored it for almost 10k below bluebook!)

Regardless of what you decide, you will fall in love with the car. It's my third Audi and hands down the nicest car I've ever owned. Good luck with your decision!

Eric

Quick Reply: Oyster Grey Metallic - like or dislike