A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

NTB alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NTB alignment?

Just curious would anyone trust NTB to do a 4 wheel alignment on the car? Also does anyone know if the Toyo Extensa HP A/S is a good set of tires? I recently got a flat and the dealer was over booked to take me so I brought the car to NTB. They also told me the tires they are selling are a lot better the P6 OEM tires.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Personally I would not trust NTB. Since if you watch any of the thousands of the commercials they have, they offer all these sales that sound great. Such as buy three tires get one free, but they require you to purchase the "premium install package" So I feel as they're really just trying to rip you off.

Although alignmetns for our vehicles are very simple. If you do decide to go with NTB I would suggest to make sure to ask and verify that they reset your steering wheel angle sensor. This sensor needs to be re-calibrated so your ESP can preform properly. I work for a Goodyear owned shop and we normally charge $25-40 extra on top of the alignment price depending on the vehicle.

As far as the Toyo Extensa HP goes. I've never heard of it, and frankly I really don't trust tires that are only sold to particular companies such as; Discount tire, NTB or sam's club. My father purchased a set of Yokohamas for his ML350 that after some research i found you could only purchase from discount tire, no other store/company offered this tire, and Yokohama made this spacific tire for them. Within about a year these tires started feathering on the edges, and wearing prematuraly even though we kept up with the maitenance of balancing and rotating the tires every 6 months 6k. I also found out other buyers of this tire had the same problem. If you're looking for a good tire visit a goodyear store, Just tires, Firestone Or research a tire you like on tire rack and have a local shop install them for you.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AsianiceStyle
Personally I would not trust NTB. Since if you watch any of the thousands of the commercials they have, they offer all these sales that sound great. Such as buy three tires get one free, but they require you to purchase the "premium install package" So I feel as they're really just trying to rip you off.

Although alignmetns for our vehicles are very simple. If you do decide to go with NTB I would suggest to make sure to ask and verify that they reset your steering wheel angle sensor. This sensor needs to be re-calibrated so your ESP can preform properly. I work for a Goodyear owned shop and we normally charge $25-40 extra on top of the alignment price depending on the vehicle.

As far as the Toyo Extensa HP goes. I've never heard of it, and frankly I really don't trust tires that are only sold to particular companies such as; Discount tire, NTB or sam's club. My father purchased a set of Yokohamas for his ML350 that after some research i found you could only purchase from discount tire, no other store/company offered this tire, and Yokohama made this spacific tire for them. Within about a year these tires started feathering on the edges, and wearing prematuraly even though we kept up with the maitenance of balancing and rotating the tires every 6 months 6k. I also found out other buyers of this tire had the same problem. If you're looking for a good tire visit a goodyear store, Just tires, Firestone Or research a tire you like on tire rack and have a local shop install them for you.
Thanks very much I appreciate your feedback. I looked at the receipt and you are correct I am getting jipped. The 4 tires are $700 they then charged me about $300 in extras. Mount and Balance, 4 wheel alignment, road hazard, nitrogen air, computer balancing, tire stem, disposal. I didn't look at NTB hopefully I can get my money back since I plan on having it installed tomorrow.

Just wondering do I need to do a 4 wheel alignment and computer balance each time I install new tires?

Last edited by triplecore; 05-17-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 116 Posts

You need to balance the new tires but the alignment is not dependent on the tires. You need an alignment after doing any suspension work. Also if you have abnormal tire wear you should have the alignment checked. If the alignment is out and you have not had any suspension work done you probably need to something fixed. It is rare for an Audi to go out of alignment if all of the suspension bits are in good shape.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
You need to balance the new tires but the alignment is not dependent on the tires. You need an alignment after doing any suspension work. Also if you have abnormal tire wear you should have the alignment checked. If the alignment is out and you have not had any suspension work done you probably need to something fixed. It is rare for an Audi to go out of alignment if all of the suspension bits are in good shape.
Ok thanks very much for the info. Would you trust NTB or such discount stores to do an alignment? I googled this and some people said an alignment is alignment and other say NTB and such discount places really screwed up their car. Do you have any thoughts?
Old 05-17-2012, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Story time, kiddies...

Kinda long...
I had my W210 Mercedes (Oo=*=oO) <--(isn't that cute)- in for tires at NTB in Madison, Tennessee ~3 years ago. They told me they would check alignment free, as it was necessary for the (Michelin) warranty, which I knew was BS but hey, the price was right for the "free" check. I fully expected a $100+ alignment would be found to be "necessary", even though my old tires had worn pretty evenly with nary a rotation.
NTB used to let customers into the work area (may still) and I talked to the tech as he did it. He told me it was dead on and didn't need anything, and gave me a printout. I asked if they stocked the eccentric bolts that are necessary to change the alignment - in case I had needed it done - and he admitted they did not, but the dealer had them and they'd go get them (!) if necessary. That would have taken an hour, so I was glad he was up front with me. They were not busy at all FWIW. He also told me to ask for him because some tech were not quite as... well trained as he was. I tipped him $20.
I love me sometimes...
Old 05-17-2012, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by triplecore
...Would you trust NTB or such discount stores to do an alignment?...
So the short answer is no, take it to the dealer for alignment. It is really not that much more is it? (I do not know) Also, if you don't hit potholes and the tires wear evenly it probably does not need "preventative" alignments, like SchwarzS6 said, despite what the tire shops tell you!

At NTB, I got lucky; and the MB was not all wheel drive. Even if one goes to an Audi dealer, you gotta say a prayer first...

HTH,
Tom
Old 05-17-2012, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by triplecore
They also told me the tires they are selling are a lot better the P6 OEM tires.
selling alot better where and how?
more people drop P6s for UHPs? is that A6 owners? Audi owners? or all makes? is it just their store? NTB as a whole company? in the US? worldwide? or just UHP vs P6 in general? .. i love sales... that said i cant say its a good or bad tire

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
It is rare for an Audi to go out of alignment if all of the suspension bits are in good shape.
+1 i took my car in to a reputable indie shop that has a hunter machine earlier this year... my car drove straight as an arrow but since i seen some odd tire wear on a set of tires i was discarding i got curious... i think they charge $90 for service but if the alignment #s come out to spec they only charge you $30 for a check not service.. was worth the piece of mind
Old 05-18-2012, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MainlandMig
selling alot better where and how?
more people drop P6s for UHPs? is that A6 owners? Audi owners? or all makes? is it just their store? NTB as a whole company? in the US? worldwide? or just UHP vs P6 in general? .. i love sales... that said i cant say its a good or bad tire

I am not sure I didn't clarify. I went back to the OEM P6 tires. I think they might have some deal to push a certain brand.

Originally Posted by MainlandMig
+1 i took my car in to a reputable indie shop that has a hunter machine earlier this year... my car drove straight as an arrow but since i seen some odd tire wear on a set of tires i was discarding i got curious... i think they charge $90 for service but if the alignment #s come out to spec they only charge you $30 for a check not service.. was worth the piece of mind
Thanks I think they have that machine where I am going I just hope they know how to make the proper adjustments. My dealer told me that only Audi has the specs and are trained to adjust the car properly. If I go to a third party they might not adjust the parts right and end up bending parts of the suspension if done incorrectly, yes it aligned, but by damaging the car. Hopefully NTB know how to to do it right.