A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

new owner/forum member

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new owner/forum member

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Just picked up a 2005 A6 3.2l a couple of weeks ago. I previously had a 1997 A6 (both bought used at a local auto auction) that I loved and ran until it had over 175k miles (and got a company car). Very little problems with the 97!

My new car has the convenience, cold weather and comfort packages, along with 17" alloy wheels as options. It had some minor front end damage that I fixed already (new fog light grill and some epoxy!) and some other issues that I see are typical for this car (MMI control know bubbling, arm rest cover latch broken). I think Audi wanted to dump this one in that there was little effort made to correct these problems(went for $17,200 at the auction with 54k miles).

I couple other issues I am dealing with that I'm looking for advice on. First when I got the car I set the parking brake after driving it home. The brake wouldn't release, and a parking brake manfunction light came up. I got a TSB on this saying that it needs a software update. I also noticed that the parking brake module (located beneath the spare tire tools in the trunk) was replaced (the old one was still there). Anyone have any idea (short of bring it to the dealer) on how to do the update? Is is part of the module and I got a bad one?

Also, when the fuel tank is more than 1/2 to 3/4 full, both the gage and miles to empty are really inaccurate. The gage will show, say 3/4 when I start the car, and slowly climb as I drive! Same with the miles to empty. When I get between 1/2 to 1/4 it appears that it starts to register correctly. I saw other posts that had the opposite problem - showing the tank to be empty when it wasn't, but no posts describing my problem.

I've ordered the MMI CDs, since I am still on 7.5 and want to get the full benefit of the bluetooth (can't download the phone book, etc.). I am also planning to get a VAG COM cable since I plan to do the service myself in the future (now both the service light and parking brake light come up when I start the car!).

I also ordered the control know (the old one should pop right off, correct? I tried to pull it easy and it didn't budge - I wanted to get the new one before I tried harder) and the arm rest cover (have to figure that one out also).

So far I love the car, great to get back into an Audi! I can't wait for winter in Boston to see how it handles in the snow (great, I expect).

I'd appreciate any advice anyone can offer regarding the 2 issues!
Old 10-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Cat Herder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default there's a cluster software update they usually apply for fuel gauge problems, so you might try that

See if you can find out if the fuel sending units (2 of them) were replaced in that car already. If not, get em done as they will most likely fail.
I'd pay the dealer to do the MMI update from that far back, but that's up to you.
I'm not sure if the car is driveable without an MMI module, although I assume so.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 887 Likes on 726 Posts

There is a TSB on the fuel gauge software.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: there's a cluster software update they usually apply for fuel gauge problems, so you might try t

thanks, I have the Bentley ordered...will see if the TSB is there.

Pierreb....I curious, why did you suggest the dealer do the MMI upgrade?

Appreciate the advice!
Old 10-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Cat Herder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default from that far back, it's a two-step upgrade. most of the failures happen on the way to 27.40. once

you're there you're out of the woods.

it's also the longest update and it touches the most gear = higher risk.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

"I can't wait for winter in Boston to see how it handles in the snow" same here
Old 10-05-2008, 08:06 AM

Default Please let me know the outcome

Since I also have the prolem with a fuel gage on my 06 A6 3.2q S-Line 09/2005 production.
The fuel gauge is not working propertly. It does not mark the availabe fuel in the tank all the time. in otter words intermitent.
My vehicle is out of a warranty, will dealer still cover it?
Thank you
Old 10-05-2008, 07:26 PM

Default Warranty ?????

I just found out that this is what was done on my vehicle:
Repair Date:2007-04-03 Mileage:39542
Fuel gauge sender 2 removed and reinstalled
4F0919673C Sender
4F0919673A Sender
4F0919133B Washer

Repair Date:2007-03-22 Mileage:38555
INSTRUMENT CLUSTER SOFTWARE UPDATED

Now my vehicle has 59,000 miles, will the dealer cover this ?????
Thank you
Old 10-06-2008, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default hmmm... i would plead your case with the dealer... i had both my fuel sending units replaced.. but

i'm still in the warranty period -- 37K
Old 10-11-2008, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Success!

Today was the day! I got all my parts from genuinevwaudiparts.com and picked up a vag-com and bentley. That along with alot of advice I picked up here was all I needed!

earlier in the week I got the vag-com and used it to reset the fault codes. Tried to activate the voice button, but that didn't work.

Today I started with updating the MMI software (originally version 7.5). Followed the TSB that I from Pierreb's signature, with the AB CD and then the H CD. Took a long time, but worked fine. The changes I noticed so far are losing the 'lawyer' screen, being able to down load my phone's contacts, and having the signal strengh meter work for the phone. I haven't gone back yet to see if the voice button will work (forgot!), but will do that tomorrow.

I then replaced the MMI control **** and the armrest latch (I can see why they had problems with this!). I also found a TSB regarding the cover for the tire changing tools in the trunk...it kept falling off and to my surprise I found a TSB telling how to fix it!

I then did the 55k service - plugs, air filter and oil change. I followed IanB's thread that gave step by step instructions with photos....it was great! Other than messing around with the air filter housing to get it off and back on, everything went great. One of the coil packs had a white flakey coating...not sure what that was. The electrical connections came out OK, and the coil backs were pretty easy to pull out. The Air filter, however was a mess!

Oil change was pretty straight forward. Although I am still confused over the oil capacity...I see both 8.6 and 6.9 quarts. I put in 6.9 (the levels looks fine), but more than 8 quarts were drained (I filled 2- 1 gallon jugs with some left in the drain pan)!

So, thanks to all the good advice from AW members! Onto cleaning the interior tomorrow!

Quick Reply: new owner/forum member