A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

New Owner Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 06:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 06 3.2 purchased new. 135K and runnIng strong. Knock on wood, I've had none of the issues these others have had. One of the driver's door window switches needed replacement early on, within first 10K. I did need the MMI software updated. I bought a vag-com and have a great private mechanic. I've nbeen maintaing the car that way since The 75K service. I purchase only OEM or upgraded parts online and have saved a bundle over dealer servicing.

My A6 is the best car I've owned. I had an 03 A4 1.8t before my A6. I just got a '12 S4 which is a dream. But I am keeping And still love and drive my A6.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default my A6 experieence

I guess I've been lucky with both my 2003 and 2008.
I bought an extended warranty for both. 2003 with 95k didn't have enough ext warranty repairs to even come close to the $3k the warranty cost. And not many under warranty repairs.

The 2008 had 9K on the clock when I bought it in 2010 probably because it was a lemon law recall for gas tank evaporator problems (CEL). Now with 60K I've had a battery, a water pump seal replaced and s/w upgrade under Audi warranty and taillight assembly replaced under extended warranty.

I was lucky to have free maintence to 45K since it was purchased by original owner.So only real items were pads(substituted ceramic) and rotors along with the $800 55K service.

All in all not bad compared to some of the horror stories

Last edited by dougaross; 07-07-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dougaross
I guess I've been lucky with both my 2003 and 2008.
I bought an extended warranty for both. 2003 with 95k didn't have enough ext warranty repairs to even come close to the $3k the warranty cost. And not many under warranty repairs.

The 2008 had 9K on the clock when I bought it in 2010 probably because it was a lemon law recall for gas tank evaporator problems (CEL). Now with 60K I've had a battery, a water pump seal replaced and s/w upgrade under Audi warranty and taillight assembly replaced under extended warranty.

I was lucky to have free maintence to 45K since it was purchased by original owner.So only real items were pads(substituted ceramic) and rotors along with the $800 55K service.

All in all not bad compared to some of the horror stories
Since mine was used I could only get an aftermarket warranty, I'm wondering how greatly/ drastically this varies from the manufactures warranty? I know it won't cover maint. and a few other things but I'm hoping it's comparable enough...?
Old 07-07-2012, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ALynn88
I just purchased a 2005 Audi A6 with just under 49,000. I've talked to someone who says since it isn't high mileage and is in good condition there's no reason I should be particularly concerned about big repairs (though of course things go at any time!)

Others have been telling me repairs are so expensive for the car it'll ruin me.

Ultimately, I'm curious about the experience other people with similar year/model/mileages have had- are mechanical repairs common? Are repairs in general frequent?

I had the impression the were overall reliable cars but I'm getting mixed signals!

I understand how each car is driven and it's history will make a difference but I'd just like to hear others' experiences!
I thought most people would have do a throughout research before buying used cars, especially European vehicles which aren't known for best reliability.

One comforting thing to know is that newer Audi vehicles are becoming more and more reliable, even though it's still way behind the top-notch reliability of the top Japanese auto makers.

The repair bills for my sold '97 A4 had paid for the extended warranty cost almost 2x over, and those for current '05 A6 are already 2/3 of the way up to getting my money's worth on the extended warranty too.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mmarcski
I have an 06 3.2 purchased new. 135K and runnIng strong. Knock on wood, I've had none of the issues these others have had. One of the driver's door window switches needed replacement early on, within first 10K. I did need the MMI software updated. I bought a vag-com and have a great private mechanic. I've nbeen maintaing the car that way since The 75K service. I purchase only OEM or upgraded parts online and have saved a bundle over dealer servicing.

My A6 is the best car I've owned. I had an 03 A4 1.8t before my A6. I just got a '12 S4 which is a dream. But I am keeping And still love and drive my A6.
Did you ever change transmision fluid?
Old 07-08-2012, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you got the money or the hands, if the car is not reliable.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

complete ownership of my C5 was $12347.25 (i did own the car for 7 years 3 months) including everything oil change, alignment and all repairs (and i did some repairs on my own!!!). Now with C6 i'm already at almost $2k in 10months, only warranty saved me from paying most of it.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
I have pasted in two of my earlier posts, which I have slightly revised and updated.

I have an 05 4.2 that I purchased new about 7 years ago. She currently has 101k on the odometer. As far as reliability, she is ok, but she is no Lexus. But she is a lot of fun to drive. Most of the problems have been nuisances.

1. The airbag light came on two weeks after I purchased the car. It took them 10 days to figure out the problem. Audi then came out with a TSB on updating the computer software for the airbags.

2. The MMI "crashed" a year after I bought the car. After having the car for 8 days, Audi wiped the hardware clean and reinstalled the MMI computer software.

3. The MMI had a few bugs with not updating the satellite radio stations, losing surround settings and sometimes not automatically linking with my bluetooth phone. Audi had the car for a day and updated the MMI computer software. Audi has a TSB on this issue as well.

I have written those three problems off to having a very early computer software version. To give you an idea of the number of changes in the software, my car came with MMI version 10 and now has version 33. Since being updated to MMI version 33, around 2006 or 2007, I have not had any computer issues. I understand that there is now a version 46 that is available. Since my MMI has been stable with version 33 I have not upgraded to 46. From fellow Audi owners I understand that the differences between 33 and 46 are negligible.

As far as non-computer issues. I have had quite a few.

1. All 8 coil packs had to be replaced.

2. The lid for the gas cap would not open from inside the car. In order to open it I had to wedge my credit card inside the lid and open it from the outside.

3. The frame for the front passenger seat came loose and the entire seat had to be removed and the bolts tightened.

4. A rattle in the glove box area of the dashboard that required installation of additional insulation.

5. A bad tire pressure sensor had to be replaced.

6. A mildew smell from the air conditioner vents, which required the replacement of a ventilation duct.

7. A rattle from the rear fold down seats, which required a new clamp.

8. A rattle from the driver’s side of the dashboard, which required additional damping material.

9. The fuel-filter recall, which required a new fuel filter.

10. The fuel gauge started reading empty even though there is fuel in the tank, which required a computer software upgrade.

11. The transmission developed a chirping and the transmission software had to be upgraded.

12. The low coolant light would come on for no reason, which required an upgraded electrical circuit.

13. The power steering reservoir leaked and completely emptied itself, which required a revised clamp.

14. The front brakes developed a vibration at slow speeds and the brake caliper seals had to be replaced due to a re-design.

15. The motor for the power tilt/telescoping steering wheel had to be replaced because of a groaning noise.

16. The MMI **** fell off.

17. The motor for the rear power sunshade had to be replaced because that motor was groaning and clicking.

18. The coolant temperature gauge stopped working and the sensor had to be replaced.

19. The trunk latch ceased working and had to be replaced with a redesigned latch.

20. The adaptive headlight malfunction light came on and the dealer had to upgrade the software for the adaptive lights.

21. The air bag light came on and the rear air bag sensor had to be replaced for a second time.

22. The Parktronic speaker broke and had to be replaced.

23. The coolant gauge broke again and the sensor had to be replaced.

24. The coolant gauge broke yet again and the thermostat had to be replaced.

25. The gas struts for the trunk were replaced.

26. The air bag light came on and rear air bag sensor had to be replaced for a third time.

27. The LED unit had to be replaced in the rear right because the brake and turn signal light would fail to fire.

28. The coil packs were replaced under recall.

29. The air bag light came on and a rear air bag sensor had to be replaced for a fourth time.

30. The brackets holding the electric switch panel to the front passenger seat broke and had to be replaced.

31. The air bag light returned and the dealer upgraded the software yet again.

32. The upper control arms were replaced.

33. The motor for the power tilt/telescoping steering wheel had to be replaced yet again.

34. The air bag light came on and a rear air bag sensor had to be replaced for a fifth time.

35. The entire steering column had to be replaced.

36. The oil pressure sensor had to be replaced.

37. The air bag light came on yet again and this time the right rear supplemental (optional) air bag was replaced.

Similar to the computer issues discussed above, Audi has TSBs on nearly all of these issues, seeming to indicate that the problems are not isolated to just my car. Audi has also issued dozens of other TSBs on issues that I have not experienced since I have the 4.2 engine instead of the 3.2 engine. In total, the 3.2 has over 200 TSBs. If you complain about these items while the car is under warranty, Audi will fix the problem for free, which sounds like a recall to me.

Despite the car being at the dealer for over 75 days for repairs during the last 84 months, not maintenance, I would certainly buy the car again because the 4.2 is a lot of fun to drive, especially on the highway, and the dealer gives me a loaner. However, I would check which MMI software version is currently in the car. If it is below 33, I would take it to Audi and have it updated as soon as possible. In addition, I would check the car's VIN and compare it to the Audi TSBs and see what issues you need to keep an eye on. You can get copies of the Audi TSBs at Erwin's website. The dealer will probably give you the car's maintenance records. While the car is still under warranty, I would make sure you complain about any issues contained on the TSBs issued for your VIN. If you are buying an aftermarket warranty I would get an exclusionary warranty that your local Audi dealer accepts.

Despite the issues with the car, I think that it is a great driving car. However, keep in mind that I am an original owner who paid close to $60,000 for my daily driver and who according to my wife is the President of the "More Money than Brains" club. For example, changing the transmission fluid costs over a $1,000 just for the fluid (the fluid is $57 per liter), not including labor. Also keep in mind that the 55,000 mile service is the "major" service for the car. The 75,000 mile service is also significant, in that the nose of the car needs to be removed on the 05 and 06 4.2s. If money is an issue, you may want to look for a car that is cheaper to "maintain". Regardless of your decision, you will enjoy driving an Audi, but you may not enjoy the maintenance. Good luck.

Kevin

Here is my post in response to a related topic:

I am afraid that Audi has TSBs on nearly every one of the problems that I experienced indicating that I am not alone with these issues. As far as not hearing about these issues on the forum, I point out that I am one of the few original C6 owners on the forum with the corresponding 7 years of experience in owning one of these cars. I doubt that when these cars are purchased used that the original owners are so honest with the buyers. In contrast to my 7 years of experience, many of the C6 owners on this forum have less than a year’s experience with the "maintenance" on these cars. With that said, I think that the C6 is a great driving car and is a lot of fun on the highway. I would also buy it all over again. You just need to make sure that you are carrying some type of warranty coverage.

Kevin
I've owned a 2003 & 2008 A6 with very problems in combined 200k mi. Bought extended warranties on both and did not come close to covering the cost of the warranties
Old 09-01-2016, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi all,
I'm new here and have just bought my first Audi after many years of lusting.
It's a 2001 A4 3.0 Quattro sport.
Beautiful car, tiptronic and all seems ok. The only thing is an extremely irritating noise and I'll do my best to describe it, as searching the web has only let me know others have had this problem, but no solution.
The noise is coming from the ignition/footwell/bonnet lever area just above my right knee. (UK) it's almost certainly of an electrical nature and sounds like a switch clicking on and off over and over again. Almost like a sensor which can't quite make its mind up. It's only happens when the engine is running, even at stand still, whilst driving, accelerating, braking and have tried turning the air con off, on, hot and cold. It will click away about 8 times and then stop, only to resume randomly every 20secs or so. It sounds like there are two different clocks, like one on and one off in short succession. This is driving me mad, especially as I have just bought the car and paranoia kicks in. I'm guessing it's nothing major but oh my me is it annoying. Thankyou so much for anyone who takes the time to help.
Kind regards,
Oliver
Old 09-01-2016, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Oliverwaite1
Hi all,
I'm new here and have just bought my first Audi after many years of lusting.
It's a 2001 A4 3.0 Quattro sport.
Beautiful car, tiptronic and all seems ok. The only thing is an extremely irritating noise and I'll do my best to describe it, as searching the web has only let me know others have had this problem, but no solution.
The noise is coming from the ignition/footwell/bonnet lever area just above my right knee. (UK) it's almost certainly of an electrical nature and sounds like a switch clicking on and off over and over again. Almost like a sensor which can't quite make its mind up. It's only happens when the engine is running, even at stand still, whilst driving, accelerating, braking and have tried turning the air con off, on, hot and cold. It will click away about 8 times and then stop, only to resume randomly every 20secs or so. It sounds like there are two different clocks, like one on and one off in short succession. This is driving me mad, especially as I have just bought the car and paranoia kicks in. I'm guessing it's nothing major but oh my me is it annoying. Thankyou so much for anyone who takes the time to help.
Kind regards,
Oliver
Congrats on the purchase Oliver, however you are completely in the wrong forum for your car... You have an a4 and need to be on the b5 a4 subforum.

Quick Reply: New Owner Concerns