A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

New to Me 05 A6.....Intro and progress

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to Me 05 A6.....Intro and progress

So as you all know from my "worth the risk" thread, I decided to take a chance. Couldn't pass on the deal of a very nice condition 05 A6 3.2 Quattro for $3500. High mileage and needing upper chain tensioners at a minimum.

So she came home today, this is fresh after the tow (how freaking cool is the tow attachment point and included hook!), just putting the battery on the charger because the car has sat for about 2 months.

She's dirty, but the paint is actually very nice (hit it with some quick detailer on a couple of spots to double check).

First thing I wanted to do is verify if it's jumped timing, so I'm currently in the process of pulling the valve covers:

Passenger side off, this is a good sign. They seem to be right in alignment with each other, bit will know for sure once I get the tool kit in and go to lock the cams.

Things I found along the way to where I'm at: The Air Bypass tube from the airbox to the intake tube was missing. Airbox was open, duct tape over the hole on the intake tube. Will locate one of those.

Valve covers were both leaking, no biggie, new gaskets going on as part of project.

There is a big solenoid type block on the front of the passenger head that seems to be leaking oil. Any input on this?

And the big win. Found pre-wiring for the Nav system I believe. Stoked about that. Going to grab the dvd player for the nav and the dvd. Need to find out if programming is involved.

Still not sure if I'm keeping or selling the car, but I'm admittedly falling for it already.

Now, about me. I'm ex Air Force (14 years, but it was time to go, too many negative changes, and I'm truly happier now), ASE Certified Auto Technician, total car guy (have owned a 760 RWHP Twin Turbo 99 C5 Corvette, currently own a 99 Celica GT with a 93 MR2 Turbo motor swap and a 93 Trans Am with a 383/76mm Turbo combo that's good for 750+ to the tires), and am NOT afraid to get down and dirty to fix something. Currently work for BF Goodrich in their Fort Wayne tire plant, part of the tire production. Always willing to help out, and learn whenever I can. Hopefully I can help out and learn while I'm here.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Got the passenger side cover off today:

Rear Cam covers are off too:

And the good news........looks like everything is still in time correctly based off the positioning of these cams on the drivers side:

And now I pause. Ordering the tool set today. Probably going to have to wait a couple of weeks to order the timing tensioners (wifey has a wedding in NJ she's leaving for this week and will be gone 10 days, have to spend on that first I guess, lol).

But......man is this interior nice for the mileage.

Only real flaws I can find are the drivers door panel, there's a crack in the main part below and behind the arm rest.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Oh yeah, went by the local Audi dealership today. Got service history from 34K miles to current. Pretty clean history. Had an MMI replacement due to an internal short, ABS module replaced, and nothing else major happened. Lots of LOF, Brake, and misc service records too.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Broke down the RPO codes via VW Group Option Codes Decoder last night. Saw Bluetooth prep listed. Went out and checked and sure enough my phone paired right up. Not planning to stream bluetooth music because it NEVER sounds good to me, so I'm pleased with that as-is.

Since I'll be waiting a short time before ordering tensioners, I'll probably start a wet-sand and general cleanup of the slightly oxidized headlight lenses this coming weekend. Nothing going to happen to the car for the next 2 1/2 days though because I'm working tonight and tomorrow night (6P to 6A).
Old 10-02-2014, 12:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Looking good.

Keep us posted!
Old 10-04-2014, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Blah, weather turned, it's cold and rainy, and my garage is full so nothing doing on the Audi right now. Just ordered the tensioners and valve cover gaskets, so will hopefully have those in around the end of next week. Tools are being delivered on Monday, so Wednesday on my next subsequent day off I"ll have everything locked in place and probably staged to drop the new tensioners in.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Tools are in, and it's not a fluke. The El Paso tools sold "Baum" tool kit does include the crank turning tool now.

And I got a parts shipment notice and tracking number today. Ordered the parts from Parts VP whom I found searching around for the best deal. Left side tensioner was $219, right side was $151, and valve cover gaskets were $18.99 each side (same as aftermarket via big box stores).

Has anyone noticed on ebay you can get BOTH tensioners, aftermarket chinese manufactured, for $200 for the pair? I was tempted, but didn't want to trust the engine to a chinese knock off. I'm sure their customer support would be phenomenal when one lets loose while driving and tanks the entire valvetrain. Not.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks Fastbird for sharing your new project with us. You certainly are brave doing a project of this magnitude outside. I don't like doing oil changes outside let alone a timing chain job.

Nice looking Audi, my wife's Audi has the same color scheme inside.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A6 4.2 Vier
Thanks Fastbird for sharing your new project with us. You certainly are brave doing a project of this magnitude outside. I don't like doing oil changes outside let alone a timing chain job.

Nice looking Audi, my wife's Audi has the same color scheme inside.
Not by choice. My celica is down for a radiator (you wouldn't believe how hard it is to get a straight non-leaking radiator anymore, stupid china POS's) and my Trans Am is still in pieces after the cam swap for the turbo and other stuff. But it's right next to the tools inside, and realistically it's a quick enough job. I'm going out tomorrow to lock the crank and cams and probably break it all apart to be ready to just slap the new parts in when they come in.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastbird
Not by choice. My celica is down for a radiator (you wouldn't believe how hard it is to get a straight non-leaking radiator anymore, stupid china POS's) and my Trans Am is still in pieces after the cam swap for the turbo and other stuff. But it's right next to the tools inside, and realistically it's a quick enough job. I'm going out tomorrow to lock the crank and cams and probably break it all apart to be ready to just slap the new parts in when they come in.
With 3 cars down, hopefully you will have an excuse to drive the Audi when it's up and running. They are certainly addictive once you drive one.

Quick Reply: New to Me 05 A6.....Intro and progress