A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

New here. Steering column actuator fault. 2005 A6 not starting

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here. Steering column actuator fault. 2005 A6 not starting

Hi, My 2005 Audi A6 has the steering column actuator fault, won't start, my v basic scanner won't access car when the car is in this shutdown state so I can't reset the code. What is the minimum equipment I need to be able to reset this steering column actuator code and get my car started. I am running hazard lights, full beam held on manually and foot on brake, but my obd2 scanner won't pickup anything, I've used the same scanner before on this car and I know it can access when the car isn't in this shutdown state. Done a bit of research, would the lite, free version of vcds be sufficient or not? Have an IT background, happy to setup software on laptop etc, I assume I just need the correct cable to connect laptop to car comm port? I'm in NZ
Thanks
Craig
Old 07-24-2019, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Disconnect the battery terminals and hold them together for a minute to drain the capacitor and wipe the stored memory. Id start with that and see, however, recommend fixing it for safety.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Craiggy, I had the exact same problem. I was able to clear the codes and start the car using my ross-tech VCDS software and cable, but also tried once using this little bluetooth device + iphone software I got to play around with. Couldn't make it work with that, but then afterwards I saw something online where you have to perform some specific steps to "wake" the car up. Looks like you have tried some steps. The order I have seen is;

1. Turn on parking lights
2. Turn on hazard lights
3. Turn on high-beams.
4. Press brake pedal.

Is that the order you tried?

In the end you have to replace the steering column, which is not cheap. Although A6Gary on here knows of a place that can recondition them...
Old 07-25-2019, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 171 Likes on 150 Posts

Rather than replace the expensive complete steering column (~$2,300 part) as Audi AG specifies, the J518 immobilizer module, which fails and causes the problem, can be repaired by a company located in Ridge Park, IL (www.speedosoilutions.com). For this repair, you will need to remove the module from the steering column and send it to them for repair. Their repair cost for this module is $199 + shipping. Check their website for details. And as some feedback, here are some details re: this module

"The J518 repair/remanufacture is a quite common service. Most problems are related to wear and tear of moving components (actuator motor, microswitches, relay) within the module, mostly affecting 2005-2008 models years A6 and Q7."
Old 07-25-2019, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for your suggestion. Not sure I'd be comfortable holding a positive and negative power cable together. The official fix is to replace steerIng column, here in NZ Audi quoted almost $NZ4000 to supply, fit, then recode keys etc, car not worth enough to justify that
Old 07-25-2019, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JamesAudiA6007
Hi Craiggy, I had the exact same problem. I was able to clear the codes and start the car using my ross-tech VCDS software and cable, but also tried once using this little bluetooth device + iphone software I got to play around with. Couldn't make it work with that, but then afterwards I saw something online where you have to perform some specific steps to "wake" the car up. Looks like you have tried some steps. The order I have seen is;

1. Turn on parking lights
2. Turn on hazard lights
3. Turn on high-beams.
4. Press brake pedal.

Is that the order you tried?

In the end you have to replace the steering column, which is not cheap. Although A6Gary on here knows of a place that can recondition them...
Hi James, yes, that's pretty much what I've done, not sure what you mean by parking lights, and not sure of order, I just held them all down, will check order next time, however the scan tool I have at the moment is v basic (Chinese knockoff!). Do I need to buy the VCDS software or is the free lite version sufficient to reset codes? What is spec / name of cable connection I need - USB to whatever car port is called, is it called an obd2 port? If I can reset the codes and get it running that will be a start
Cheers
Craig
Old 07-25-2019, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by A6Gary
Rather than replace the expensive complete steering column (~$2,300 part) as Audi AG specifies, the J518 immobilizer module, which fails and causes the problem, can be repaired by a company located in Ridge Park, IL (www.speedosoilutions.com). For this repair, you will need to remove the module from the steering column and send it to them for repair. Their repair cost for this module is $199 + shipping. Check their website for details. And as some feedback, here are some details re: this module

"The J518 repair/remanufacture is a quite common service. Most problems are related to wear and tear of moving components (actuator motor, microswitches, relay) within the module, mostly affecting 2005-2008 models years A6 and Q7."

Thanks Gary, I'm in New Zealand, checked their website, no shipping option from NZ and suspect would be v expensive to ship back and forth anyway. Will look for solutions here in NZ I guess. Been speaking to a mechanic here who works on aftermarket management systems who says can resolve by fitting after market engine management so as to bypass ecu, will look into. In meantime just need to work out a valid scan tool or software and cable option so I can reset fault codes as short term fix at least
Cheers
Craig
Old 07-25-2019, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks like they have an option that would only require shipping one way and it is in virgin state which I THINK (can someone verify) will mean no programming needs to be done.

Shipping - 6-10 Business days via USPS should be less than $50.00

Old 07-25-2019, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jeffpuxx
It looks like they have an option that would only require shipping one way and it is in virgin state which I THINK (can someone verify) will mean no programming needs to be done.

Shipping - 6-10 Business days via USPS should be less than $50.00

Looks to still need coding. Also can't see a delivery option outside of US, Canada and Cuba... I am in NZ
Old 07-26-2019, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Craiggy
Hi James, yes, that's pretty much what I've done, not sure what you mean by parking lights, and not sure of order, I just held them all down, will check order next time, however the scan tool I have at the moment is v basic (Chinese knockoff!). Do I need to buy the VCDS software or is the free lite version sufficient to reset codes? What is spec / name of cable connection I need - USB to whatever car port is called, is it called an obd2 port? If I can reset the codes and get it running that will be a start
Cheers
Craig
Here's the steps and I'd recommend the VCDS or at the very least some sort of OBDII scanner which supports basic functions

Quick Reply: New here. Steering column actuator fault. 2005 A6 not starting