A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Advanced key

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Advanced key

Has anyone ever found someone who repairs the advanced keys? My wife has washed 3 of them and would like to see if repairing is less expensive than replacing.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 10-11-2013, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

not much out there due to the repair vs. replacement costs associated with small electrical devices. The cost of the replacement can be had for less than $30 + cost of programming and cutting. The repair cost can be so variable that in most cases it's simply not worth it to the repair person to bother with the time and expense vs. purchasing a new replacement...good luck though
Originally Posted by Robert Schirmer
Has anyone ever found someone who repairs the advanced keys? My wife has washed 3 of them and would like to see if repairing is less expensive than replacing.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 10-13-2013, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what is broken w them?
were they dropped in water?
could they need a good opening up and wiping any crud dust off?
Old 10-14-2013, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by raj99
not much out there due to the repair vs. replacement costs associated with small electrical devices. The cost of the replacement can be had for less than $30 + cost of programming and cutting. The repair cost can be so variable that in most cases it's simply not worth it to the repair person to bother with the time and expense vs. purchasing a new replacement...good luck though
Actually, they were in the wash machine. Where did you see advanced keys for $30.00?? I got the t-4,5,6 torx head bits to open mine up to see what was wrong. If I can find the key for that cheap, I can just change the blades and have them reprogrammed.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 10-14-2013, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

ebay can be your friend:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Audi-A6-used-key-fob-/271295647455?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f2a7b0edf&vxp=mtr
Actually, they were in the wash machine. Where did you see advanced keys for $30.00?? I got the t-4,5,6 torx head bits to open mine up to see what was wrong. If I can find the key for that cheap, I can just change the blades and have them reprogrammed.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 10-15-2013, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

ebay can be your friend:

2008 Audi A6 Used Key Fob | eBay
Has anyone bought a used one and had it reprogrammed?
Old 10-15-2013, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

yes...it's pretty straight-forward and until recently I actually had a device that would program the keys for you!

Most dealers and good indy shops can do it very quickly and easily.

BTW, I'm looking for just eth key fob (don't care about the electronics), so if you want to get rid of one of your 3 unusable keys lmk. I actually just need the red 'alarm; button on the side, since mine fell out.

Thanks,
Has anyone bought a used one and had it reprogrammed?
Old 10-15-2013, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

yes...it's pretty straight-forward and until recently I actually had a device that would program the keys for you!

BTW, I'm looking for just eth key fob (don't care about the electronics), so if you want to get rid of one of your 3 unusable keys lmk. I actually just need the red 'alarm; button on the side, since mine fell out.

Thanks,
Found a place selling a 4-pack of oem used ones. Looks like my wife can do the again laundry now! ;-] I am also missing 2 red buttons so.... I just have to switch over the blades/get reprogrammed and I will have spares galore.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 11-05-2013, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks,
Sorry to say raj99, but our advanced keys are equipped with an un-erasable chip. Once it is made at mother Audi, it will only be able to be used with that specific car. Unless my dealer is missing something(which I hope he is) so much for the cheap eBay keys I bought. At least swapping the blade was easy with the right torx bits.

Bob
Old 11-05-2013, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Bob,

It appears that the chip can be cloned or remade, take a look here:

Also, here's how you swap out the chip required:

It appears that these CAN be prgramed or provided through a dealer, so you may want to contact AoA (Audi of America) to determine your best course of action and here's some more details on the actual chip locking system used:
http://brandtlocksmiths.com/doc/DOcAC.htm

As for programming keys that are chipped to your car:
There are two kinds of programming. If you have remotes that have been programmed to the car previously the steps are easy. There are longer steps if the keys are new and those are the secondary ones.

Steps to reprogram keys to a car they are already linked to:
1. Press and hold the unlock key on a remote
2. Insert key in ignition and turn to on (while still holding unlock)
3. Hold unlock while in the on position for 2 seconds
4. Turn key to off, remove from ignition and release button.

Do this for each remote. Relink to seat positions (press and hold mem position #, then unlock button for 2 seconds and release both) and done.

To program new remotes on a car never linked to previously:

1. Take a key (valet key works best, put it into the ignition and turn the key to the "on" position, so the dashboard lights come on.
2. Roll down the driver's side window (not required, but a good idea in case there's a problem).
3. Exit the car and close the door.
4. With a second key, physically lock the doors by turning the key clockwise (don't use a remote).
5. Take the first remote to be programmed, press the unlock button. The lights will flash once.
6. Wait 10 seconds and press the unlock button. The doors should unlock. That first transmitter is now programmed.

***If you have only one key skip to step 16. Otherwise continue to step 7.***

7. Lock the door again (physically) with the key, (not the remote) by turning clockwise.
8. Press the unlock button two times with a one second interval in between, the lights will flash with each button press for a total of two flashes.
9. Wait 10 seconds and press the unlock button. The doors should unlock. The second transmitter is now programmed.

***If you have three keys proceed to step 10. Otherwise skip to step 16.***

10. Lock the door again (physically) with the key, (not the remote) by turning clockwise.
11. Press the unlock button three times with a one second interval in between, the lights will flash with each button press for a total of three flashes.
12. Wait 10 seconds and press the unlock button. The doors should unlock. The third transmitter is now programmed.

***If you have four keys proceed to step 13. Otherwise skip to step 16.***

13. Lock the door again (physically) with the key, (not the remote) by turning clockwise.
14. Press the unlock button four times with a one second interval in between, the lights will flash with each button press for a total of four flashes.
15. Wait 10 seconds and press the unlock button. The doors should unlock. The fourth transmitter is now programmed.

16. Remove the key from the ignition.

Make sure that to test the newly program remotes, the original key is removed from the ignition since this exits the programming process. Someone might be a bit frustrated trying to test it with it still in 'program' mode.

Quick Reply: Advanced key