A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

New to the Audi and off to a rocky start.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the Audi and off to a rocky start.

Hello all.

Last week I became the new owner of an 05 A6 4.2L S-Line. Very clean car with 83K miles and cosmetically only rock chips on the nose that I need to take care of. The only options missing that I can see is Nav and TPMS. The nav I plan to add later as I'm reading it should be a pretty easy transplant.

Picked it up from the dealer Thursday morning, took it back to them Friday morning after it nearly left me stranded at work and was leaking coolant.

Long story short, my vehicle fell through the cracks at the Mercedes dealership, it didn't go through their inspection process before being placed on the lot. In the end they're taking care of me and eating the costs involved in bringing it up to reliability standards for their used vehicles.

So far they're putting a new radiator in it and troubleshooting a problem where the fuel pressure bleeds down after shutoff. They should have some codes to work with as the CEL light and EPC light came on yesterday when she nearly left me stranded 50 miles from home.

Anyway, I'm new to the Audi family and when she ran great. The 4.2L is a nice engine, no noise which I'm glad to hear based on reading about the timing chain/guide issue.

Having owned nothing but high end GM vehicles prior to this (1 Honda exception which lasted 6 months, hated it), I'm very impressed. I found a love for the European design a few years back on a business trip to France where I had a nice Citroen C5, 2.0T diesel with a 6spd. I have an STS-V in my stable and I'd trade that car in a heartbeat if I could get one of those Citroens here in the U.S.

One question I have is maintenance on these vehicles which doesn't seem to show up in searches. I hear references to changing the plugs but no discussion on what type to use as an OEM replacement? Is everyone using OEM plugs exclusively?

With my GM vehicles I've had very good results with Bosch +4 design plugs. I've used them in my Corvettes, Caddys, and SUVs without issue. Anyone using these in the 4.2s?

Is the transmission fluid change as much as I'm reading about? It sounds like an $800 job at the dealer with near $50 a quart fluid?
Old 08-16-2013, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats. First thing in order should be a Ross Tech Cable. I would do OEM plugs anf coil packs. The transmission fluid change, yep it's up there. You could do the change yourself if you Ross tech cable. CTSC sell the fluid for half the price: http://www.thectsc.com/index.php?p=p...d=193&parent=0
You'll need check if your transmission had the software update as well.
For part look up: ecs tuning.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default thanks for the advice.

I got a guy at work who's the Audi go-to guy. He's already pushed me toward the cable and software as I do the work on my vehicles. For the GMs I have the Vetronix Tech II, the same tool the dealership uses. It was expensive but paid for itself over the years as it allowed me a lot of troubleshooting at home and transplants of factory nav units into vehicles that didn't come with them, PCM swaps, etc.

I'm looking forward to tinkering with and driving my Audi when I get it back. Tomorrow I pick up a loaner for about a week which is nice. I put 100 miles a day on my work commute so keeping the miles off my vehicles is a big plus.

I suspect I'll be doing a suspension rebuild before too long as well. With my GMs it seems between 80K and 100K miles is when everything starts wearing out underneath.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 887 Likes on 726 Posts

I have pasted in two of my earlier posts, which I have slightly revised and updated. I believe these posts will help show the problem areas on our cars and show what maintenance items to expect as our cars get older and have higher mileage. I have not included the scheduled maintenance, brakes or tires.

I have an 05 4.2 that I purchased new about 8 years ago. She currently has 127k on the odometer. As far as reliability, she is ok, but she is no Lexus. But she is a lot of fun to drive. Most of the problems have been nuisances.

1. The airbag light came on two weeks after I purchased the car. It took them 10 days to figure out the problem. Audi then came out with a TSB on updating the computer software for the airbags.

2. The MMI "crashed" a year after I bought the car. After having the car for 8 days, Audi wiped the hardware clean and reinstalled the MMI computer software.

3. The MMI had a few bugs with not updating the satellite radio stations, losing surround settings and sometimes not automatically linking with my bluetooth phone. Audi had the car for a day and updated the MMI computer software. Audi has a TSB on this issue as well.

I have written those three problems off to having a very early computer software version. To give you an idea of the number of changes in the software, my car came with MMI version 10 and now has version 33. Since being updated to MMI version 33, around 2006 or 2007, I have not had any computer issues. I understand that there is now a version 46 that is available. Since my MMI has been stable with version 33 I have not upgraded to 46. From fellow Audi owners I understand that the differences between 33 and 46 are negligible.

As far as non-computer issues. I have had quite a few.

1. All 8 coil packs had to be replaced.

2. The lid for the gas cap would not open from inside the car. In order to open it I had to wedge my credit card inside the lid and open it from the outside.

3. The frame for the front passenger seat came loose and the entire seat had to be removed and the bolts tightened.

4. A rattle in the glove box area of the dashboard that required installation of additional insulation.

5. A bad tire pressure sensor had to be replaced.

6. A mildew smell from the air conditioner vents, which required the replacement of a ventilation duct.

7. A rattle from the rear fold down seats, which required a new clamp.

8. A rattle from the driver’s side of the dashboard, which required additional damping material.

9. The fuel-filter recall, which required a new fuel filter.

10. The fuel gauge started reading empty even though there is fuel in the tank, which required a computer software upgrade.

11. The transmission developed a chirping and the transmission software had to be upgraded.

12. The low coolant light would come on for no reason, which required an upgraded electrical circuit.

13. The power steering reservoir leaked and completely emptied itself, which required a revised clamp.

14. The front brakes developed a vibration at slow speeds and the brake caliper seals had to be replaced due to a re-design.

15. The motor for the power tilt/telescoping steering wheel had to be replaced because of a groaning noise.

16. The MMI **** fell off.

50,000 MILE MARK – 3 ½ YEARS

17. The motor for the rear power sunshade had to be replaced because that motor was groaning and clicking.

18. The coolant temperature gauge stopped working and the sensor had to be replaced.

19. The trunk latch ceased working and had to be replaced with a redesigned latch.

20. The adaptive headlight malfunction light came on and the dealer had to upgrade the software for the adaptive lights.

21. The air bag light came on and the rear air bag sensor had to be replaced for a second time.

22. The Parktronic speaker broke and had to be replaced.

23. The coolant gauge broke again and the sensor had to be replaced.

24. The coolant gauge broke yet again and the thermostat had to be replaced.

25. All four dampers were replaced.

26. The gas struts for the trunk were replaced.

27. The air bag light came on and rear air bag sensor had to be replaced for a third time.

28. The LED unit had to be replaced in the rear right because the brake and turn signal light would fail to fire.

29. The coil packs were replaced under recall.

30. The air bag light came on and a rear air bag sensor had to be replaced for a fourth time.

31. The brackets holding the electric switch panel to the front passenger seat broke and had to be replaced.

32. The air bag light returned and the dealer upgraded the software yet again.

33. An upper control arms was replaced.

34. The motor for the power tilt/telescoping steering wheel had to be replaced yet again.

35. The air bag light came on and a rear air bag sensor had to be replaced for a fifth time.

36. The entire steering column had to be replaced.

37. The oil pressure sensor had to be replaced.

38. The air bag light came on yet again and this time the right rear supplemental (optional) air bag was replaced.

100,000 MILE MARK – 7 YEARS

39. Battery replaced for the first time.

40. The fuel filter was replaced.

41. The coil packs were replaced.

42. The LED unit had to be replaced in the rear left because the brake and turn signal light would fail to fire.

43. Right side motor mount was replaced.

44. All 4 upper control arms were replaced.

45. Both front sway bar links were replaced.

46. Gas strut for the hood was replaced.

47. Satellite Radio Module Replaced.

48. Battery replaced for a second time.

125,000 MILE MARK – 8 YEARS

49. All four dampers were replaced.

50. Rear passenger window regulator was replaced.

Similar to the computer issues discussed above, Audi has TSBs on nearly all of these issues, seeming to indicate that the problems are not isolated to just my car. Audi has also issued dozens of other TSBs on issues that I have not experienced since I have the 4.2 engine instead of the 3.2 engine. In total, the 3.2 has over 200 TSBs. If you complain about these items while the car is under warranty, Audi will fix the problem for free, which sounds like a recall to me.

Despite the car being at the dealer for 95 days for repairs during the last 100 months, not maintenance, which was an additional 32 days, I would certainly buy the car again because the 4.2 is a lot of fun to drive, especially on the highway, and the dealer gives me a loaner (am guessing that I have put approximately 5,000 miles on loaner cars). As part of purchasing, or owning one of these cars, I would check which MMI software version is in the car. If it is below 33, I would take it to Audi and have it updated as soon as possible. In addition, I would check the car's VIN and compare it to the Audi TSBs and see what issues you need to keep an eye on. You can get copies of the Audi TSBs at Erwin's website or at the site that I set up with Dr.Cold at http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/ . The dealer will probably give you the car's maintenance records. While the car is still under warranty, I would make sure you complain about any issues contained on the TSBs issued for your VIN. If you decide to purchase an aftermarket warranty I would get an exclusionary warranty that your local Audi dealer accepts.

Despite the issues with the car, I think that it is a great driving car. However, keep in mind that I am an original owner who paid close to $60,000 cash for my daily driver and who according to my wife is the President of the "More Money than Brains" club. For example, changing the transmission fluid costs over a $1,000 just for the fluid (the fluid is $57 per liter), not including labor. Also keep in mind that the 55,000 mile service is the "major" service for the 4.2. The 75,000 mile service is also significant, in that the nose of the car needs to be removed on the 05 and 06 4.2s. If money is an issue, you may want to look for a car that is cheaper to "maintain". Regardless of your decision, you will enjoy driving an Audi, but you may not enjoy the maintenance. Good luck.

Kevin

Here is my post in response to a related topic:

I am afraid that Audi has TSBs on nearly every one of the problems that I experienced indicating that I am not alone with these issues. As far as not hearing about these issues on the forum, I point out that I am one of the few original C6 owners on the forum with the corresponding 8 plus years of experience in owning one of these cars. I doubt that when these cars are purchased used that the original owners are so honest with the buyers. With that said, I think that the C6 is a great driving car and is a lot of fun on the highway. I would also buy it all over again. You just need to make sure that you are carrying some type of warranty coverage.

Kevin
Old 08-17-2013, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
you will enjoy driving an Audi, but you may not enjoy the maintenance. Good luck.

Kevin
Wow Kevin!

All you had to say was GM reliability and I would have gotten the gist. LOL!

Thank you for the information and I'll keep an eye on her. She's under an extended warranty for 36K miles so hopefully any issues I'll have will be addressed.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Kevin

Ease in slowly and cut down the list.
Your scaring folks away. LOL

But great info.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by eazy211187
Kevin

Ease in slowly and cut down the list.
Your scaring folks away. LOL

But great info.
The list is not complete!

But I still think that the 4.2 is a great daily driver
Old 08-20-2013, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've had my 4.2 for almost 4 years and it has been trouble free...

maybe two or three items on that list were replaced.

I think you got a lemon Kevin.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry about your bad luck. My current A6 3.2 Quattro (2007) was bought as a CPO with 27,000 Miles. Now it is over 100,000 with only routine maintenance. My previous 2001 A6 Avant, also CPO, went 185,000 and was still running strong. Do NOT Change transmission fluid - it is sealed and lasts seemingly forever. Next time consider a much less expensive CPO!
Old 08-21-2013, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by nemesisa6
maybe two or three items on that list were replaced.

I think you got a lemon Kevin.
Not a lemon. A great car

Quick Reply: New to the Audi and off to a rocky start.