A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Navigation retrofit odd issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Navigation retrofit odd issue

This is for my 05 A6 C6.
I have a navigation unit HW 4E0 919 887 C and SW 4E0 910 887 N.
Based on my searches, that is a nav unit for a D3 A8 but i've seen several cases where this exact combination of hw and sw versions works on a C6 A6.

Now here is my issue: everything works, except the navigation unit always goes straight when i make turns.
After a short while it re-positions on the road using the gps sensor but the arrow indicating the car never turns. I remember on my other C6 A6 it would turn in sync with the car's heading.

I have the latest update, 4640 installed for the mmi system.
However, when doing the update the navi unit shows up as Navibox D3 and I never have any options for pushing updates to it.
I've read that the nav unit is updated by the nav dvd. the nav dvd I have is the 2012 version. Is there a procedure how to update the nav unit software?
I coded the can gateway and mmi control head so they are aware of the nav unit's existence.
I have mmi high (color display in the gauge cluster).

I went into the green MMI service menu and under navigation I can see sensor input. i noticed the gyroscope was working properly and detecting turns.
However, for the wheel signals, it only showed a value for one wheel, (front left), all the others were 0. Not sure if that matters.

I have run out of ideas about what to do next.
Has anyone else ever seen this?
Old 03-12-2015, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by odoboyusa
This is for my 05 A6 C6.
I have a navigation unit HW 4E0 919 887 C and SW 4E0 910 887 N.
Based on my searches, that is a nav unit for a D3 A8 but i've seen several cases where this exact combination of hw and sw versions works on a C6 A6.

Now here is my issue: everything works, except the navigation unit always goes straight when i make turns.
After a short while it re-positions on the road using the gps sensor but the arrow indicating the car never turns. I remember on my other C6 A6 it would turn in sync with the car's heading.

I have the latest update, 4640 installed for the mmi system.
However, when doing the update the navi unit shows up as Navibox D3 and I never have any options for pushing updates to it.
I've read that the nav unit is updated by the nav dvd. the nav dvd I have is the 2012 version. Is there a procedure how to update the nav unit software?
I coded the can gateway and mmi control head so they are aware of the nav unit's existence.
I have mmi high (color display in the gauge cluster).

I went into the green MMI service menu and under navigation I can see sensor input. i noticed the gyroscope was working properly and detecting turns.
However, for the wheel signals, it only showed a value for one wheel, (front left), all the others were 0. Not sure if that matters.

I have run out of ideas about what to do next.
Has anyone else ever seen this?
The latest MMI is 46.1.0, so make sure you have that. Also, the latest 2015 Nav DVD may help you...PM me if you're interested.

You are correct that the nav should automatically re-direct at every turn. But since the original firmware of the nav unit is tied to a D3 (A8), you may need to change this in the hidden menu directly. I'd have to check out exactly...but can try this weekend and post for you.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if it was me i would think that the shark fin antenna was the issue.
somehow the system is not transferring info properly or quickly or more often enough
its not updating your location in time
i am biased bc i had trouble with mine and could be wrong but
GL
Old 03-12-2015, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by MainlandMig
if it was me i would think that the shark fin antenna was the issue.
somehow the system is not transferring info properly or quickly or more often enough
its not updating your location in time
i am biased bc i had trouble with mine and could be wrong but
GL
Great point mig. OP, can you go into the mmi and see how many satellites you are picking up? Also check with another local Audi owner to see what they get in the same area.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Guys,

Thanks for the pointers!
I checked and i am getting 6-8 satellites so i think anything more than 3-4 should be good. I really don't think it's the gps antenna, on an integrated navigation system, vehicle speed and direction are known so it doesn't relay 100% on the gps signal. but in my case i think the direction signal is not being transferred properly between modules.

Raj, please let me know what I would need to change in the hidden menu to switch from the D3 firmware. It would be awesome if I could get this to work.

Much thanks in advance!
Old 03-12-2015, 09:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Oh, i forgot to mention I actually have two nav units (unfortunately both the same exact sw and hw) and both do the same exact thing so they can't both be bad.