A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

My '07 S6 lease is up. $41k buyout option; 25k miles. Options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good to know you're keeping the S6. I enjoy the car every time I get into it. That said, why is the dealer insisting that you buy now? Why not wait and buy the same warranty but while you are still under factory warranty at around a month or two before your stock expires? I just don't understand why dealers are so adamant about selling the warranty at the time of a purchase when the warranty can / should be purchased at any time while you are still under factory.

Wow...! I could have been much more efficient with the language up above... but I had way too much fun last night.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only point about buying now (per dealer) is that, like life insurance, the cost of warranty goes up with the amount of miles on the car when buying. The warranty is more expensive if you buy it at 35k miles than at 25k by about $1,000. Of course, if I wait then the 3 year/36k miles extended warranty takes me to 2014 and about 75k miles instead of 2013 and 60k miles.

As much as I love the S6, I don't think I will own it past January, 2013 which means I will not put more than 60k miles on it (averaging only 8k/year so far).

So, just asking if anyone knows of legitmate other extended warranty options (to purchase next year) and whether you all agree it makes sense that I get the 3 year one now and add the payment to my contract or wait and pay $1k more next year for same deal (assuming no price changes in that time).
Old 01-07-2010, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Just to update- After exploring it more thoroughly I am going to wait until the end of the factory warranty to add the extended warranty. The F&I person at Pacific Audi was very helpful in this process. Turns out that the premium increases with each 10k increase in miles over 25k. Price for 2 year extension is $500 more at 25.5k miles than at 24k!

As long as I lock in the extension more than 30 days prior to expiration of factory warranty an inspection won't be necessary. My plan is to do that (assuming I still am keeping the car of course) in December, 2010 (or before I hit 35k miles) and add a 2 or 3 year extension at that time.

Since I had a little buyer's remorse I took the car out to "play" a little yesterday. Drove some freeways and Topanga Canyon....no more buyer's remorse! Love this car.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

From what you said (if I understand correctly) that the warrant starts at the time of purchase. Well then ofcourse it would be cheaper now because chances are that any current repairs would be done through your factory warranty without using the extended. Its just a rip off (if you ask me) when you buy an extended warranty and it becomes active prior to your factory warranty expiring.

Originally Posted by Inocent Bystndr
The only point about buying now (per dealer) is that, like life insurance, the cost of warranty goes up with the amount of miles on the car when buying. The warranty is more expensive if you buy it at 35k miles than at 25k by about $1,000. Of course, if I wait then the 3 year/36k miles extended warranty takes me to 2014 and about 75k miles instead of 2013 and 60k miles.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You do understand correctly....and it's a ripoff in that sense...which is what the F&I person at Pacific essentially confirmed for me. Once I passed the 25k mark however, it makes no sense to buy one until the factory warranty runs out or I approach 35k.

At the moment, I'm thinking of hanging on to the S6 until the A7/(S7?) comes out..probably in mid-2011 or later (for S7 anyway).
Old 01-07-2010, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That sounds like a good plan. Enjoy your S6 and now that it is purchased why don't you mod it a little.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DirtyVegasTT
That sounds like a good plan. Enjoy your S6 and now that it is purchased why don't you mod it a little.
Probably won't mod it because I love the look as is and not interested in more power (I know that's heresy here...but so be it). I wish I had pulled the trigger on the Madaudi CF rear valence when it was originally (mistakenly) offered at $400. I'd still buy it at that price, but not the $1,155 they want for it now. I would like to mount my Blackberry Storm in the car rather than just having it loose in the console. What are the best solutions for that? Proclips?
Old 01-07-2010, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Why is your Storm in the console? Mine is in my pocket and I just use the BlueTooth when I use the phone. If you email and text while you drive... well that's just a bad idea. My friend almost flipped his Supercharged Rover, my father rear ended someone in our Cayenne Turbo, and I can't remember how many times I just got lucky and avoided an accident.

Long story short, I just try to keep the phone in my pocket and use the BT to talk.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

No worries; I also use BT to phone and I NEVER text or email unless parked. I often keep it in a pocket but sometimes that's uncomfortable if I don't have a jacket on or a shirt pocket. Also, I often keep it charging. I have most of my frequent numbers loaded in the Directory, but my Storm always downloads my whole phone book into the Phone book folder in the car. It loads in alpha order by FIRST names. So all the "Als" come first, etc. My contact list is huge so it can barely load 20% of the whole thing.

Because of that glitch, I sometimes have to look up a phone number for a less frequently dialed person. It's a pain because I usually pull over, look it up, etc. I've never found the Storm's voice dial system to be very good. On my old Treo 700p I just put about 50 of my frequent numbers in the speed dial section and that's all that ever downloaded to the car; which is what I prefer.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Check this place out. They may have what you are looking for:

http://shop.crackberry.com/