A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

mmi keeps rebooting 06 audi a6

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mmi keeps rebooting 06 audi a6

Just purchased my first Audi last week, 2006 Audi a6 3.2 quattro 36k miles on it. First week the car was amazing everything worked fine. Tonight I decided to sync my phone and talk through Bluetooth in the car which worked fine. I got home and wanted to input my contacts but directory was full so I hit delete, it was on the deleting screen for a while then reeboted itself. And now its in a constant reebot loop even if the car is shut off and locked. Tried doing the reset by pushing the three buttons it didn't do anything, tried pulling battery and reconnecting and it just goes right back.. Please help! Have to pull battery overnight so it doesn't kill it..
Old 09-24-2013, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Anyone please help!?
Old 09-24-2013, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Here's my recommendation:

Get a vag-com on diag to determine where you have an issue

If you don't have a vag-com, you can try troubleshooting blind by removing the BT module (in the trunk), then resetting the MMI (via the 3 buttons) and after that you can try reinstalling the BT module.

In order to see where is the problem, you have to check fiber optic connection at each device.

good luck
Old 09-24-2013, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cable this, cable that.

romansA6, Disconnect The BT from your phone. Then reset the MMI
Old 09-24-2013, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

eazy211187, thanks for reposting the link I'd sent to a previous poster and it had solved the issue. If you read THIS post you will notice that the person stated that 'Tried doing the reset by pushing the three buttons it didn't do anything...'

So I told the OP on this thread 'removing the BT module (in the trunk), then resetting the MMI (via the 3 buttons) and after that you can try reinstalling the BT module'

What exactly are you referring to in terms of 'Cable this, cable that'?
Originally Posted by eazy211187
Cable this, cable that.

romansA6, Disconnect The BT from your phone. Then reset the MMI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BznmseEN86g

Last edited by raj99; 09-24-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 887 Likes on 726 Posts

Raj
Old 09-25-2013, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by raj99
eazy211187, thanks for reposting the link I'd sent to a previous poster and it had solved the issue. If you read THIS post you will notice that the person stated that 'Tried doing the reset by pushing the three buttons it didn't do anything...'

So I told the OP on this thread 'removing the BT module (in the trunk), then resetting the MMI (via the 3 buttons) and after that you can try reinstalling the BT module'

What exactly are you referring to in terms of 'Cable this, cable that'?
First off, not everyone knows what three buttons and not everybody owns a vag-com.

By disconnecting the BT module then you'll really need a vag com to reset the BT. It's only a plug 'n play if the software is up to date.

Exactly what it sounds like
Old 09-25-2013, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The OP said he had already done the 'three button reset' so I assume he actually knows how to do it. As for the vag-com cable, you are correct not everyone has one, but I recommended that it's a great tool to have. Especially for the purposes of troubleshooting.

As for the removal of the BT unit...well his current unit isn't helping him out much is it I would have assumed he would have disconnected the phone and tried the reset, but assuming that it failed to do so, the removal and resetting of the BT was a logical step for the purposes of troubleshooting.

eazy211187, I've done loads of troubleshooting not only on my C6, but extensively on electronics ranging from missile systems to worldwide mobile networks.

Your statement of 'cable this, cable that' was flippant and I simply called you out on it.

Feel free to add your own advice, but I'll ask you again, what exactly did I write down that didn't make sense in helping the OP troubleshoot?

By the very nature of online forums, you will get various pieces of advices and as a poster you will need to discern what you value. This can be done through a number of ways; responders previous posts, their ability to articulate how to troubleshoot, etc...
I'm actually glad you posted another way to troubleshoot.

But if you're here to bash, because I recommend they get a vag-com cable, well then you should really think twice about what you consider troubleshooting. Since having as much data and the ability to analyze such input is what makes for 'good' troubleshooting vs. guessing.

cheers
Originally Posted by eazy211187
First off, not everyone knows what three buttons and not everybody owns a vag-com.

By disconnecting the BT module then you'll really need a vag com to reset the BT. It's only a plug 'n play if the software is up to date.

Exactly what it sounds like
Old 09-25-2013, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 887 Likes on 726 Posts

Very well sated, Raj
Old 09-25-2013, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by raj99
The OP said he had already done the 'three button reset' so I assume he actually knows how to do it. As for the vag-com cable, you are correct not everyone has one, but I recommended that it's a great tool to have. Especially for the purposes of troubleshooting.

As for the removal of the BT unit...well his current unit isn't helping him out much is it I would have assumed he would have disconnected the phone and tried the reset, but assuming that it failed to do so, the removal and resetting of the BT was a logical step for the purposes of troubleshooting.

eazy211187, I've done loads of troubleshooting not only on my C6, but extensively on electronics ranging from missile systems to worldwide mobile networks.

Your statement of 'cable this, cable that' was flippant and I simply called you out on it.

Feel free to add your own advice, but I'll ask you again, what exactly did I write down that didn't make sense in helping the OP troubleshoot?

By the very nature of online forums, you will get various pieces of advices and as a poster you will need to discern what you value. This can be done through a number of ways; responders previous posts, their ability to articulate how to troubleshoot, etc...
I'm actually glad you posted another way to troubleshoot.

But if you're here to bash, because I recommend they get a vag-com cable, well then you should really think twice about what you consider troubleshooting. Since having as much data and the ability to analyze such input is what makes for 'good' troubleshooting vs. guessing.

cheers
I thought the bt module was under the pass seat carpet floor??

Quick Reply: mmi keeps rebooting 06 audi a6