A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

What modules should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What modules should I buy?

I have a new to me 2006 Avant that my wife wants me to add a rear view camera, Ipod integration, and maybe USB audio inputs to. It already has MMI with nav from factory, It does have 4140 software installed.

Backup Camera: I have looked through the treads to find the xcarlink unit that allows me to add the backup camera, but there site gives very little information. I have read that there is a new unit that gives you the guide lines on the backup screen but nothing about this on there site. I now have an Infiniti with the lines that adjust with the turn of the steering wheel, do these adjust also?

Ipod / USB: I have found many different options on how to make this work. xcarlink has a few different boxes, Dension ice link is an option, but I am not sure what will integrate the best. The one that will be the easiest to use. Ipod is a must and USB would be a nice addition but not if does not hinder the ease of use.

Any help or input on functionality would be of great help.

Thanks
Old 05-10-2010, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I forgot to mention, that I need to stay reasonable with the cost. Mainly this mean I dont want to go to the dealer and have factory items installed. If i have to add a few factory black boxes though it does not bother me.

Lastly AMI is not installed in the car that I am aware of.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rlhornbeck
I have a new to me 2006 Avant that my wife wants me to add a rear view camera, Ipod integration, and maybe USB audio inputs to. It already has MMI with nav from factory, It does have 4140 software installed.

Ipod / USB: I have found many different options on how to make this work. xcarlink has a few different boxes, Dension ice link is an option, but I am not sure what will integrate the best. The one that will be the easiest to use. Ipod is a must and USB would be a nice addition but not if does not hinder the ease of use.
Not sure if the Dension icelink would work, but even if it does I'd recommend you instead look at products that properly integrate into the MMI interface: Dension Gateway 500, Audi AMI or the Polish option (sorry, can't remember the name, is sold via eBay, hopefully someone else can share experiences, info on it).

I believe these options range from $300 - $700, however, so steel yourself...

I had a Dension icelink on my allroad, found it left a lot to be desired; while it was better than nothing, even if it worked with the MMI interface I think you'd find yourself disappointed with the level of integration...
Old 05-10-2010, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

You are correct on the icelink, I quoted the wrong part. It should have been the Gateway 500.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rlhornbeck
Shes allowed to make suggestions but no driving the Avant!
Old 05-10-2010, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I am not allowed to drive it.... but she gave me permision to buy an s4