A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Help my 2006 A6 4.2 S-Line is having trouble starting!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help my 2006 A6 4.2 S-Line is having trouble starting!

Two weeks ago my car wouldn't start for my g/f, and it was telling her ESP FAULT Read Owner's Manual. Finally she got the car to turn on after putting gas in it. She went to the gas station right after that and turned the car off while pumping. The car wouldn't start again. So someone banged under the tank and wala the car turned on. So after telling an Audi mechanic, he determined that it was the fuel pump. I ordered one over the phone from another shop. After installing it myself, I took the car to go get gas, I filled it all the way to the top, but the car started leaking gas like crazy. When I got back home, I noticed that this extra piece coming out of the top of the pump was actually leaking gas. I then looked at the old pump and it has the same end sticking out, but it was sealed on the other end. So I went to the parts store, and purchased a vacuum seal cap. I put this on, and my car stopped leaking. Now when I tried starting the car again it said the same ESP code, I took the cap off and the car turned on again. I put the cap back on and it turned on again. That night I left for a long road trip and didn't turn off till I got to my resort. The next day the car turned on fine, and I went to church. When I got out of church it wouldn't start again, it said the same ESP code as well. I started to bang at the pump from the top, and bang from the tank at the bottom, but nothing worked. So I left the car there and came back a few hours later, and the car started again. I drove it for about 30 minutes, and turned it off. I tried getting back in about an hour later and it wouldn't turn on. I waited about 3 more hours and sure enough the car started again. So now I realized the car needs to sit for a minimum of 4 hours before it can turn back on. But if I was to turn it off, and turn it back on within 10 minutes, it would turn on fine, but if I wait 30 minutes it will not turn on for another 4 hours.

So if I drive my car and turn it off, it would turn back on within 10 minutes of me shutting it off, but if I wait over 20 minutes, it would not turn on until 4 hours later.

Could this vacuum cap I put on to stop it from leaking have anything to do with it?

Why am I getting this ESP Fault warning, when this happens? Which BTW, it only gives me that warning when the car doesn't start. I also have been keeping an eye on my temperature and that's fine as well.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hall sensor AKA crank shaft position sensor,

https://forums.audiworld.com/a6-s6-c...ensor-2857813/
Old 08-11-2014, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by newa6er
Hall sensor AKA crank shaft position sensor,

https://forums.audiworld.com/a6-s6-c...ensor-2857813/
How many of these does my car have? cause I went to the Audi Dealership to purchase the part and the guy had no clue what I was talking about. He asked me what was happening and I explained it to him. He then pulled up a part and asked me if it was the left or the right one.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

077905381F. Audi. Inductive sender crankshaft.

there is only one
Old 08-12-2014, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by newa6er
Thanks I guess the guy at Audi was looking at the wrong part.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

sorry for the late response, it was indeed the engine speed sensor. It took me a few days to actually get in contact with someone at the Audi dealership to understand what I was actually talking about. I put it in with the help of a friend, and no issues with it not starting ever since.