A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Headlight / tailight Malfunction - DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight / tailight Malfunction - DIY?

The passenger side headlight on my '08 A6 4.2 started going out periodically about six months ago. It would always come back on after I flicked the switch. In the last week it has stopped working almost altogether although it will still come on periodically.

I dropped by the dealership the other day and without looking at the car they said the problem was the bulb to my headlight and that it would cost me "three eighteen" to fix it.

I said "three dollars and eighteen cents?" They said, "no, THREE HUNDRED EIGHTEEN DOLLARS." I almost fell out on the spot.

This seems ridiculous to me.

Questions: Is that price as outrageous as I think it is?
Old 02-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Blaatzee
The passenger side headlight on my '08 A6 4.2 started going out periodically about six months ago. It would always come back on after I flicked the switch. In the last week it has stopped working almost altogether although it will still come on periodically.

I dropped by the dealership the other day and without looking at the car they said the problem was the bulb to my headlight and that it would cost me "three eighteen" to fix it.

I said "three dollars and eighteen cents?" They said, "no, THREE HUNDRED EIGHTEEN DOLLARS." I almost fell out on the spot.

Oops. I accidentally hit "post" too soon. My next question was whether this is a DIY job. In answering that question please assume that I have very limited access to tools and please assume that I have very limited access to patience. In other words, I'd usually rather pay someone to do something like this for me.

Also, periodically my display says I have a tail light out although I've never been able to confirm it independently. This, along with a few other period glitches makes me wonder if I have an electrical problem that is causing all of these issues.

Thanks for any advice/suggestions.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

There are other related components that could be the problem e.g. controllers, starters/igniter's etc. If any of these are defective you may be warranted. Hopefully someone else here knows warranty details. I know Model year "05 had bumper to bumper warranties unfortunately our '08's do not. Bad news about trying to DIY, you have to remove the bumper.

Sorry, can't answer tail light question.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an '08 and I had my dealer replace one of my headlamp bulbs..I remember paying around $250. I thought it was ridiculous that it went out so soon and that they wouldn't cover it.
My second headlamp started to go out intermitently several weeks ago, but has been working fine since. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaatzee

Actually, I think its ridiculous for you to assume it cost $3.18. Although $318 is a bit high, it is within the ball park. The bulb itself cost $150 and its about 1.5 hours of labor to install.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
Actually, I think its ridiculous for you to assume it cost $3.18. Although $318 is a bit high, it is within the ball park. The bulb itself cost $150 and its about 1.5 hours of labor to install.
Psssst: Dude. I was being facetious.

Thanks for the responses!
Old 02-06-2010, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You could save a little money on parts by ordering the bulb online.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An HID "lamp" should last many years..they rarely go out. How did they prove it was just a lamp issue and not the ballast, You could buy many lamps before you find out it was the ballast unless it's checked.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mystrodo
An HID "lamp" should last many years..they rarely go out. How did they prove it was just a lamp issue and not the ballast, You could buy many lamps before you find out it was the ballast unless it's checked.
That was my thought and my question, too. Is the ballast covered under warranty?
Old 02-07-2010, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The dealer claims to have swapped the bulbs and it didnt work on the other side either.. I didnt have much of an option at that point.
If the other side HID ends up going out, then I will be much more concerned with defective factory bulbs or other issues like ballast/controller (which are covered under warranty).