A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Headlight Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Replacement Question

Ordered a new headlight couple of days ago (from http://www.importecparts.com) since I was getting the below error.

02627 - Dynamic Cornering Light Motor; Left (V318)
010 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent

Dropped the bumper today and replaced the old headlight with the new one and the new headlight never powered on (other side worked). Tried it a few times thinking it was a electrical connector issue - nothing. Put the old headlight in - and that worked.

So I opened the new and the old headlight to see if there was any difference in the internal wiring (and see if there was any issue with the old one wrt wiring because of which the motor was giving error). There seems to be two things missing on the new headlight - the first one appears to be the bulb along with the housing( Benteley calls it the HID Headlamp ignition coil), and the other one is something attached to the side (Power Output Stage as per Benteley manual).

Is it normal for new headlights to be missing these components? In addition to the above two, is there any other part that needs to be swapped from the old to the new headlight? Any thing to watch out for while switching these two parts - Bentely manual says remove battery for both the parts.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images  

Last edited by am_ver; 12-27-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by am_ver
Ordered a new headlight couple of days ago (from http://www.importecparts.com) since I was getting the below error.

02627 - Dynamic Cornering Light Motor; Left (V318)
010 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent

Dropped the bumper today and replaced the old headlight with the new one and the new headlight never powered on (other side worked). Tried it a few times thinking it was a electrical connector issue - nothing. Put the old headlight in - and that worked.

So I opened the new and the old headlight to see if there was any difference in the internal wiring (and see if there was any issue with the old one wrt wiring because of which the motor was giving error). There seems to be two things missing on the new headlight - the first one appears to be the bulb along with the housing( Benteley calls it the HID Headlamp ignition coil), and the other one is something attached to the side (Power Output Stage as per Benteley manual).

Is it normal for new headlights to be missing these components? In addition to the above two, is there any other part that needs to be swapped from the old to the new headlight? Any thing to watch out for while switching these two parts - Bentely manual says remove battery for both the parts.

Thanks in advance!
The top one circled is the adaptive cornering lights module and the lower one is the hid bulb/holder assy. Does the new lamp have a provision to put the adaptive unit on? If not it is the wrong lamp assy. I went through that with my RS 6 lamps when I got them from Germany.

Bob
Old 12-27-2014, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I believe top one is the ballast. I think there is place on the new headlight to attached that
Old 12-30-2014, 04:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The old one are AFS bi-xenon headlights and the new one are non-afs bi-xenon. That's two completely different headlights. Your headlight washer and hid leveler will stop working if you install them. And also you'll get an afs error.

I'm currently working on another thread to retrofit them because I replaced the projector on the non-afs for a better one. Long story
Old 12-30-2014, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the metal box on the outside, is there a plug on the headlight housing to attach this box? are there wires on the inside of the housing connected to this plug which lead to a horizontal movement motor?
Old 12-30-2014, 08:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by newa6er
the metal box on the outside, is there a plug on the headlight housing to attach this box? are there wires on the inside of the housing connected to this plug which lead to a horizontal movement motor?
The plastic housing itself is the same. You can connect the afs headlight module but there's nothing inside to connect it. Even if you try to get the cable you'll end up realizing the two motors have a different plastic/meta bracket on the afs compare to the non-afs.

here's the afs motors with the projector :
Old 12-30-2014, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

IDK - but I removed the three things from the old headlight (two metal things on side) and the xenon bulb and put them on the new headlight. Everything seems to work. Even the up and down motion (self leveling) when the car starts is happening. Not sure anything about AFS and non AFS stuff.

The part number of the new headlight was: 4F0-941-029-EK - it is made by Hella!
Old 12-30-2014, 03:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

ahh sorry I thought the new headlights wasn't an AFS. They're both same if I look closely.
Forget about what I wrote earlier.

Yes just add the afs metal box to the new headlight and the square box inside the housing is the bosch igniter.

Btw you'll only see the horizontal movement when you drive more than 20mph and turn the steering wheel

Glad it works.