A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Fixing oil leaks - 2008 4.2 A6

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2024, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Fixing oil leaks - 2008 4.2 A6

I have a 2008 A6 4.2 with 175k miles. I definitely have some oil leaks. I have replaced all the VVT and cam sensor orings and oil filter housing orings. I have new valve cover gaskets to go in this weekend. What other gaskets/orings are accessible that would address oil leaks? I am debating how much longer I want to keep this. I have done a carbon clean recently, went through the fuel injectors, all fluids changed, replaced radiator and condensor recently, brakes/rotors replaced, oil cooler orings and all hoses going to it replaced,
Has original: oxygen sensors, power steering pump, alternator, water pump, thermostat, compressor, belt tensioner, timing chain guides.
It runs great at the moment, but I keep thinking the original stuff has an increasingly smaller lifespan remaining. I have taken the front end off and am comfortable with that. I could easily do the water pump and belt tensioner. What I wasn't sure about is if there is a front oil seal that can be replaced.
Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-01-2024, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

My 2007 A6 4.2 with 186K miles has gone through a similar maintenance history as your car.
I recently had to replace the left side HPFP due to the coil burning out. That set me back $300 (Hitachi ebay purchase) and my wife questioned me if it was worth spending that kind of money on a car with so many miles.
At 161K miles I did have to replace the power steering cooling line return hoses due to a rupture on one.
I am like you which I have kept up with the maintenance myself and would hate to throw in the towel on a car that still runs/drives like new.
I am also not impressed with the newer models with the smaller turbo charged engines, they would be fine if you don't plan on keeping the car over 100K miles since the turbo can become a money pit after that.
I also don't know what I would replace my car with, the newer cars appear to be built cheaper than the older ones, which is another reason to keep driving what I have.

Old 02-01-2024, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 151 Likes on 135 Posts

Have you replaced the Oil Filter Housing to Block gasket? (not the O Rings under the filter cover, the one at the back of the block, where the housing bolts to the engine)

Could also be the Timing chain adjusters covers that could be leaking, or the cam girdle sealant or vacuum pump housing
Old 02-01-2024, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have replaced the oil filter housing oring when I did the carbon clean and fuel injector servicing. I am not familiar eith the vacuum pump housing leaking oil.
Old 02-01-2024, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A6 4.2 Vier
My 2007 A6 4.2 with 186K miles has gone through a similar maintenance history as your car.
I recently had to replace the left side HPFP due to the coil burning out. That set me back $300 (Hitachi ebay purchase) and my wife questioned me if it was worth spending that kind of money on a car with so many miles.
At 161K miles I did have to replace the power steering cooling line return hoses due to a rupture on one.
I am like you which I have kept up with the maintenance myself and would hate to throw in the towel on a car that still runs/drives like new.
I am also not impressed with the newer models with the smaller turbo charged engines, they would be fine if you don't plan on keeping the car over 100K miles since the turbo can become a money pit after that.
I also don't know what I would replace my car with, the newer cars appear to be built cheaper than the older ones, which is another reason to keep driving what I have.
I have definitely mirrored a lot of what you have done. Very similar milage too. I have using your maintenance log as a guide for what to look out for.
My thinking is to take it off the road for a week or two, remove the front and replace the original parts. Primarily water pump, tensioner (the square hole is stripped), thermostat and whatever else I can get to. Also need to redo the front suspension bits. The car still drives great, but I am sure all the bits are tired.
I am also not enamored with the newer, smaller turbo engines. Also have no idea what I would replace it with. I have had Alfa Romeos and that would be the leading candidate.