A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Fitting Audi "Swivel" Towbar to 2008 A6 Avant

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 01:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fitting Audi "Swivel" Towbar to 2008 A6 Avant

I recently purchased a "original" Audi Westfalia swivel towbar and trailer control unit (4F0907383D) on eBay to try and retrofit to my car.

I should have checked before buying it but I naively assumed the cabling would be pre-fitted in the boot to just plugin the Audi trailer module in and then complete the other wiring but this does not appear to be the case :-( I can see the space in the boot to fit ok thats fine I have it on my desk

Does anybody know how I can get this installed. I'm struggling to find any information on the wiring and now wondering if I should just re-advertise it and but an aftermarket towbar instead !

Any help or information would be really appreciated !!! as I really like the swivel over the removable solutions I've seen

Thanks
Old 06-16-2014, 01:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Sorry typed in wronge window and no ability to edit ? This should have been the post

I recently purchased a "original" Audi Westfalia swivel towbar and trailer control unit (4F0907383D) on eBay to try and retrofit to my car.

I should have checked before buying it but I naively assumed the cabling would be pre-fitted in the boot to just plugin the Audi trailer module in and then complete the other wiring but this does not appear to be the case :-( I can see the space in the boot to fit the control module but cant see any of the 3 connectors/plugs nearby that should plug into it

Does anybody know how I can get this installed. I'm struggling to find any information on the wiring and now wondering if I should just re-advertise it and but an aftermarket towbar instead !

Any help or information would be really appreciated !!! as I really like the swivel over the removable solutions I've seen

Thanks
Old 06-16-2014, 02:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume that you are not going to tow in the US, otherwise it will be different requirements, (country specific) Do you have the 13 pin socket that goes with it? I will check ELSAWIN and will get back to you for anything I could find

Originally Posted by i0zjh02
Sorry typed in wronge window and no ability to edit ? This should have been the post

I should have checked before buying it but I naively assumed the cabling would be pre-fitted in the boot to just plugin the Audi trailer module in and then complete the other wiring but this does not appear to be the case :-( I can see the space in the boot to fit the control module but cant see any of the 3 connectors/plugs nearby that should plug into it

Thanks
Old 06-16-2014, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by put3namo
I assume that you are not going to tow in the US, otherwise it will be different requirements, (country specific) Do you have the 13 pin socket that goes with it? I will check ELSAWIN and will get back to you for anything I could find
Hi, yes it has the 13 pin socket that also swivels with the ball and the "rotary switch" that locates in the left hand side compartment of the boot to release the assembly so it can swivel. This also has a plug for a narrow connector (5 or 6 connections - single row) to power it but again there seems to be nothing in that area I can find to plug into it
Old 07-02-2014, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi, Did you got it sorted at the end?
Regards
Old 07-22-2014, 02:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default http://www.westfalia-automotive.com/de/en/product-overview/product-finder/?manufactur

You will basically need a vehicle-specific wiring kit from WESTFALIA it comes with a controller module for it work with your vehicle. I'm not sure if there's any aftermarket kit around. Look up the link for your vehicle-specific wiring kit and download the installation guide. Hope that helps and sorry for the late reply.

Originally Posted by i0zjh02
Hi, yes it has the 13 pin socket that also swivels with the ball and the "rotary switch" that locates in the left hand side compartment of the boot to release the assembly so it can swivel. This also has a plug for a narrow connector (5 or 6 connections - single row) to power it but again there seems to be nothing in that area I can find to plug into it
Attached Images  
Old 08-01-2014, 12:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by put3namo
You will basically need a vehicle-specific wiring kit from WESTFALIA it comes with a controller module for it work with your vehicle. I'm not sure if there's any aftermarket kit around. Look up the link for your vehicle-specific wiring kit and download the installation guide. Hope that helps and sorry for the late reply.
Westfalia charges over £200 for this kit and you still want get everything want you need: release **** harness will be missing
I got it sorted now
I found an electric diagram on ELSA.
Went to the strapyard and got whole electric harness from golf mk4 for £15.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qbrpekyuw1...2012.17.32.jpg

Ordered plugs from audi for £5.5, stripped golf harness and make it new one myself. Took me 2 days to complete but is working as it should be
https://www.dropbox.com/s/puov9as26a...2012.27.00.jpg
Also ordered new spoiler for £35 from a stealer:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lxuip5cq2l...2010.24.50.jpg
Job done, harness cost me just a bit over £20.
Regards
Jocker01
Old 03-31-2019, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Hi jocker

Hi jocker .
Please help me with the wire diagram for towbar for audi a6 4f . I am in the same situation like you and i can t afford to pay 200 pounds for the original one . Thank you in advance
I am waiting for your answer

Adrian