A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-02-2016, 02:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Engine Problems by Symptom
Print Wikipost

2005 Audi A6 no crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Audi A6 no crank no start

2005 Audi A6 will not start. Lately, since it's been getting colder, my A6 is sluggish starting in the morning. I turn the key and it goes "wooor woor woooor" an dthen it starts and dies right after. I turn it on again, it struggles, then starts fine. Today though is a different story. I turned the key and it tried once to start and then nothing. Engine will not turn at all. I have no headlights, turn signal, power mirrors, power windows, and the e-brake is stuck in the on position (I manually put my car in neutral even though the ebrake showed it was "off" but the wheels weren't rollin' backwards down the driveway). I had my battery tested and the result was one bad cell. I bought a new one, installed it, still no crank no start and all the things mentioned before still do not work. What does work are the power seats, MMI, dome light when in the on position, radio and speakers, and the high beams. I've even tried pulling all relays out from under the steering column and putting them back in (this was before buying the new battery). Any assistance would be helpful.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Know anyone with vcds?...a scan would be useful...
Old 12-06-2013, 07:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My roommate has a bluetooth car scanner. We applied it but it said "No error codes stored in ECU"
Old 12-06-2013, 09:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Truufinator
My roommate has a bluetooth car scanner. We applied it but it said "No error codes stored in ECU"
I hope its not the sensor/box in the steering column, about 2g's to fix. no fun. same symtoms except I could not move the gear selector, the the wheel stay locked?
Old 12-06-2013, 10:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The wheel is indeed locked. I was able to move the gear shifter by doing the manual gear shifter button through the ashtray. I'm probably gonna take it to CarMax and trade it in.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm probably gonna take it to CarMax and trade it in.
That is one expensive way to fix cars.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

A generic 'bluetooth car scanner' is not a VCDS

If you don't have one go to any Audi mech and ask them to hook one up an scan. It's the least you can do, but right now, based upon the info you've given it really could be too many things.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My neighbor knows an Audi guy who is coming over now. He has all the bell and whistles to test my car and get to the bottom of it. I'll let ya'll know.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by balla4lyfe4421
I hope its not the sensor/box in the steering column, about 2g's to fix. no fun. same symtoms except I could not move the gear selector, the the wheel stay locked?
I had the same issue about 2 months ago on my 2005 as well. MMI lights on, no crank (replaced my batt few months prior so pretty sure that wasn't the culprit). Had to get it towed to the shop. Cost about 2k (indy shop) to replace the steering column module.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, the mobile mechanic was clueless. Checked all fuses and told me that the car is getting power everywhere. Towed it to a shop and when I called for an update he said "Your car won't start" No ****. That's why I took it there.

Quick Reply: 2005 Audi A6 no crank no start