A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Esp fault read owners manual

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Esp fault read owners manual

robert.stephenson75 , 08-08-2018 10:06 PM
05 A6. 3.2L just driving along and esp fault read owners manual comes up along with engine light ... sometimes flashing sputters in low idle and low acceleration but not too bad if I step into it had parts store read engine light code and come up with #6 misfire so changed coil and plug still does the same stuff
Old 09-17-2018, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi, I am having a similar problem with my '06 Audi A6. The "ESP FAULT" comes on randomly, along with the 'slippery road' symbol and the vehicle acts like it is trying to grab the road, even when it is totally dry. It shimmys the front end for a bit, then eventually turns itself off and runs just fine. Yeah, probably needs a tune up, but I can't seem to get my car out of the repair shop for less than $1000-$1500, so I'm hoping it has a simple fix until I have to change over tires and winterize which is when I usually have some maintenance done anyway. Seems like a miscommunication message, where it is mixing up the signals from the vehicle brain.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by hrpelletier
Hi, I am having a similar problem with my '06 Audi A6. The "ESP FAULT" comes on randomly, along with the 'slippery road' symbol and the vehicle acts like it is trying to grab the road, even when it is totally dry. It shimmys the front end for a bit, then eventually turns itself off and runs just fine. Yeah, probably needs a tune up, but I can't seem to get my car out of the repair shop for less than $1000-$1500, so I'm hoping it has a simple fix until I have to change over tires and winterize which is when I usually have some maintenance done anyway. Seems like a miscommunication message, where it is mixing up the signals from the vehicle brain.
FWIW, the "slippery road" symbol is the traction control warning light. You really do need a VCDS log to actually decipher what's going on with the car vs. throwing parts at the problem.

Tires alone would not cause the issue you've mentioned and it may actually be as simple as the need for a new battery. Since there are times when the C6 gets faults, simply due to battery mgmt. and lack of voltage going to the appropriate components.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

RAJ99: Thanks for your quick response, I know it's not the tires, they are fairly new, I was just mentioning that the annual change to snow tires was coming up...which is when I generally have the car in the shop anyway. Its just weird that the traction control light comes on randomly when the ESP FAULT code comes up, and then the car handles roughly like it literally is trying to get traction on a perfectly dry road. It usually will stay on for about 5 minutes, then it is fine again. Frankly, I'm not used to my Audi having handling problems, haha.
I just replaced the battery last year, so I don't think it is the issue.
Old 06-05-2021, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by hrpelletier
RAJ99: Thanks for your quick response, I know it's not the tires, they are fairly new, I was just mentioning that the annual change to snow tires was coming up...which is when I generally have the car in the shop anyway. Its just weird that the traction control light comes on randomly when the ESP FAULT code comes up, and then the car handles roughly like it literally is trying to get traction on a perfectly dry road. It usually will stay on for about 5 minutes, then it is fine again. Frankly, I'm not used to my Audi having handling problems, haha.
I just replaced the battery last year, so I don't think it is the issue.
Did you figure out what the issue was? My car is showing similar symptoms
Old 06-05-2021, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 333 Likes on 282 Posts

Happened to me twice. First time was a failed ABS module. Second time was a damaged ABS sensor harness. Like @raj99 said, scanning the ABS with VCDS or a scanning tool will help you determine what exactly is wrong.

First time:

Second time:

Old 07-12-2021, 01:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Fault code: P0455

Originally Posted by robert.stephenson75
robert.stephenson75 , 08-08-2018 10:06 PM
05 A6. 3.2L just driving along and esp fault read owners manual comes up along with engine light ... sometimes flashing sputters in low idle and low acceleration but not too bad if I step into it had parts store read engine light code and come up with #6 misfire so changed coil and plug still does the same stuff
Hi guys, I drive 06 A6 3.2, I seem to have similar issue with @robert plus when I step on the acceleration hard it seems like the fuel cut off for moment and kind of stall the car and then picks up almost immediately. I also sometimes smell gas in the interior of the car, Gas mileage is also very poor. I went for a scan and found several Misfire (intermittent) and P0455 (permanent). Can someone pls assist with information that can help me resolve this issues. Thank you.