A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

end of a era

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default end of a era

welp.. its the end of a era... turned in my 2008 S6 today.. and i gotta say i will miss her.. great car.. my 3rd Audi.. and possibly my best yet.. but I am sure, and also wonder if my next will be better.. im so torn between the S5 and the S4.. i do know i need a more "daily" driver car.. and either will suffice.. but I really cant decide which one.. i have ordered both, and they are both coming in with in the next 2 weeks... its a real toss up.. any ideas? comments? suggestions on which way to go? has anyone else made the down step to the s5 or s4 from the s6?

Last edited by Derek@UI; 08-01-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

I wish I had your dilemma. I'd go with the S4 personally. It would be more practical as a DD, has more mod potential (which has some relatively mean sound exhausts available now), and is cheaper. Though, an S5 is a beautiful car. Might be worth it just for the looks and V8.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:57 PM
RDD
AudiWorld Senior Member

If you need 4 doors then S4. If not, S5. Easy. =)
Old 08-02-2010, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Ynnekdude
I wish I had your dilemma. I'd go with the S4 personally. It would be more practical as a DD, has more mod potential (which has some relatively mean sound exhausts available now), and is cheaper. Though, an S5 is a beautiful car. Might be worth it just for the looks and V8.
Because the S5 convertible has the supercharged gasoline 3L V6 like the S4 does, the S5 convertible the same modification potential as the S4.

In late calendar year 2011 for 2012 (when all vehicle on the B8 platform will be freshened with a transition from B8 to B9), the S5 coupe will get the supercharged gasoline 3L V6 in the S4 (in place of the normally aspirated gasoline 4.2L V8 the S5 coupe, as strange as it is, still has for model year 2011). This will give the S5 coupe a lower curb weight, especially with the automatic transmission option. FWIW, the seven-speed S Tronic direct shift gearbox transmission (which may or may not eventually be an even lighter weight nine-speed unit) is lighter weight that the six-speed and eight-speed Tiptronic automatic transmissions (the eight-speed Tiptronic automatic transmission is lighter weight that the six-speed Tiptronic automatic transmission). As a result, the S5 coupe will have the same modification potential as the S4.

As added bonuses, the S5 coupe will have the same performance in every aspect (be it acceleration in all conditions and the same braking, grip, handling and steering in the dry and so on) and the same fuel economy as the S4.

Also, FWIW, the transition from B8 to B9 is NOT a redesign as the B9 will be the B8 will a chock full of minor and moderate enhancements with nothing major (exactly like the transition from B6 to B7).
Old 08-02-2010, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Audi S5 TC
Because the S5 convertible has the supercharged gasoline 3L V6 like the S4 does, the S5 convertible the same modification potential as the S4.

In late calendar year 2011 for 2012 (when all vehicle on the B8 platform will be freshened with a transition from B8 to B9), the S5 coupe will get the supercharged gasoline 3L V6 in the S4 (in place of the normally aspirated gasoline 4.2L V8 the S5 coupe, as strange as it is, still has for model year 2011). This will give the S5 coupe a lower curb weight, especially with the automatic transmission option. FWIW, the seven-speed S Tronic direct shift gearbox transmission (which may or may not eventually be an even lighter weight nine-speed unit) is lighter weight that the six-speed and eight-speed Tiptronic automatic transmissions (the eight-speed Tiptronic automatic transmission is lighter weight that the six-speed Tiptronic automatic transmission). As a result, the S5 coupe will have the same modification potential as the S4.

As added bonuses, the S5 coupe will have the same performance in every aspect (be it acceleration in all conditions and the same braking, grip, handling and steering in the dry and so on) and the same fuel economy as the S4.

Also, FWIW, the transition from B8 to B9 is NOT a redesign as the B9 will be the B8 will a chock full of minor and moderate enhancements with nothing major (exactly like the transition from B6 to B7).
Yea i dont plan on waiting that long, since i have both cars on order and coming in mid aug. Although I can see you know what your talking about, audi is reluctant to change the engine in the s5, who knows why but the v8 was soposed to be out over in 2010.. then 2011.. and now there saying 2012? who knows anymore.. there is no way to say.. and i doubt they would do a 2011.5 with the v6.. since not even germany has it yet. the US is always late.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Derek@UI
welp.. its the end of a era... turned in my 2008 S6 today.. and i gotta say i will miss her.. great car.. my 3rd Audi.. and possibly my best yet.. but I am sure, and also wonder if my next will be better.. im so torn between the S5 and the S4.. i do know i need a more "daily" driver car.. and either will suffice.. but I really cant decide which one.. i have ordered both, and they are both coming in with in the next 2 weeks... its a real toss up.. any ideas? comments? suggestions on which way to go? has anyone else made the down step to the s5 or s4 from the s6?
You ordered both an S5 and S4? You might be in the wrong forum. We're just plain ol'folks who only own one A/S6 at a time
Anyway sorry to read your S6 is gone, it'll be close to impossible to replace. Keep us posted.

Last edited by mystrodo; 08-02-2010 at 07:56 AM. Reason: removed reference to RS