A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-07-2016, 03:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY - A6 3.2 Upper Timing Chain Tensioner Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 150 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by hhegedus
Which cylinders should be at TDC when both cams are locked? I'm seeing 2 and 4.
Yes number 2 should be TDC
Old 09-18-2020, 10:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by hhegedus
I just want to confirm the frame of reference you used when pre-tensioning the chain before tightening down the cam adjuster bolts. Do you mean to say your turned the counter hold tool clockwise when looking towards the front of the car from the behind the cam adjusters or firewall? This would make sense because you are moving the chain in the opposite direction it would be normally traveling during operation and thus taking out any slack it would not have when the engine is running.
This is the correct interpretation. On bank 2 (driver’s side for a LHD vehicle), from your working position at the back of the engine bay, then looking at the face of the intake cam adjuster (top one) you’ll be rotating it clockwise to move any slack in the chain towards the tensioner. In other words, if you were looking from in front of the car, the direction would be anti-clockwise.

Last edited by Sverige; 09-18-2020 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info So the question is...took apart because of fault codes and this is what i found. The question is where is the pin? Do i have to now emove the engine and look for it? Any good advice is appreciated Thanks
Bruce

Old 10-16-2020, 12:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce Oxley
Thanks for all the info So the question is...took apart because of fault codes and this is what i found. The question is where is the pin? Do i have to now emove the engine and look for it? Any good advice is appreciated Thanks
Bruce

Ouch!.. I would remove oil pan first and look for pin there.. 🤔
And also if not there.. use magnet to try if it's somewhere higher up.. 🤔
The following users liked this post:
Bruce Oxley (10-16-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with hrc4u that you want to try some simple things before doing anything as drastic and involved as pulling the engine. I'm not familiar with the design of the block just below where the upper timing chain tensioner is mounted, but there is always a chance that the pin is simply resting somewhere in that area. Fishing around in that area with a strong magnet tied to a piece of string is probably the easiest place to start. You might to also want to invest in a borescope (endoscope) that works with your phone and is available on Amazon for $50 or less. I found it to be an invaluable tool for situations like this. If no luck there then remove the oil pan and look for it there. I don't know if Audi installs magnets in their pans, but I would add a couple of thin flat ones before reinstalling if there is not one there already. I've also had pretty good luck calling shops that work on Audi or even a service rep at your local dealer and ask what they would do.

Last edited by hhegedus; 10-16-2020 at 08:15 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hhegedus:
akingzkid (12-09-2020), Bruce Oxley (10-16-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Bruce

What did you end up doing???
Old 12-09-2020, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by akingzkid
What did you end up doing???
I put the new tensioner in and closed it up. Been running good so far .....knock on wood..lol
Old 12-09-2020, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I put the new tensioner in and closed it up. Been running good so far .....knock on wood..lol
Wow. Well good for you. LOL. Hope it works out and nothing is down in the engine. If it is I hope it's sitting in the oil pan. Take care.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

As I’m in just getting started with doing the tensioner job on my sons A6, I thought I would share that a pretty simply way to get at the crank locking pin is to remove the whole engine mount obviously while supporting the motor. I tried getting an allen socket into the plug but a little bit of corrosion prevented it from going in and there’s no space to try and tap it in. Removing the engine mount is a total of 8 easily accessible bolts that when removed give you a very clear and easy shot to remove the plug and insert the crank lock pin.
Just thought I would share my experiences.
Sverige (02-08-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a brand new timing tool set & a brand new crankshaft socket.
I bought bought these 4yrs ago in anticipation of "someday" replacing the upper tensioners on my 200k mile A6 3.2.
I sold the car at 216k miles & did not have to do the change out.
If anyone would like to buy these from me, at a very discounted price, email me at lj1099@hotmail.com.
I hope this post does not violate any of the rules of the forum.
Sverige (02-08-2021)

Quick Reply: DIY - A6 3.2 Upper Timing Chain Tensioner Replacement