A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-07-2016, 03:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY - A6 3.2 Upper Timing Chain Tensioner Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
I'd lock both sides to keep the engine at tdc when you have one bank apart.
I did mine with only one side locked (of the 4 times I had to redo it because of one thing or another). If one bank is locked, the engine will not be able to turn unless the chain is off. If you don't turn the crank while the chain is off, I don't see how you can lose TDC. I'm not lazy but if I don't have to go through all the hassle of pulling the other side, I probably wouldn't ;-) If you do lose timing on one side, pop the cover on the other and lock the cams. Then go back to the side that is off, position cams correctly, then lock them. The the engine will be back in correct timing. But I agree the safest bet is to lock both banks of cams.

Last edited by mkongsiri; 05-27-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:14 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by mkongsiri
If one bank is locked, the engine will not be able to turn unless the chain is off.
True. But you do take the chain off to get the tensioner out.

If you don't turn the crank while the chain is off, I don't see how you can lose TDC.
Unless it moves due to valve springs or is accidentally moved. I'd rather take the extra 20 minutes to make sure the cams at least sync between banks.

If you do lose timing on one side, pop the cover on the other and lock the cams. Then go back to the side that is off, position cams correctly, then lock them. The the engine will be back in correct timing.
But you may not find out that timing is off until you reassemble and start the car since you have no frame of reference.

Not saying your way doesn't work, it's just more risk than I would take.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Agreed, I don't want to be responsible for anyone bending valves!
Old 05-27-2014, 05:40 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

I don't want to be responsible for anyone bending valves!
LOL.
That's always my worry. Never know how someone else will interpret my clear (clear to me, that is) instructions, so I always try to go somewhat fail safe on advice. YMMV.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi can I still get those cam locks from you thanks clevercrow@hotmail.com
Old 06-07-2014, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Trying to replace tensioner and I'm stuck . I can't align holes on cams to use locking tool. No matter how I turn crankshaft the holes not facing straight up. What else can be done to fix it?
Old 06-07-2014, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Cadillacby
Trying to replace tensioner and I'm stuck . I can't align holes on cams to use locking tool. No matter how I turn crankshaft the holes not facing straight up. What else can be done to fix it?
Cams should be turning with crankshaft unless you've undone the chain. They will rotate 360 as the crank does. Is it you don't see the holes? are they out of alignment? are the cams turning? are they out of sync? What exactly do you mean by they are not facing up?
Old 06-08-2014, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Cams should be turning with crankshaft unless you've undone the chain. They will rotate 360 as the crank does. Is it you don't see the holes? are they out of alignment? are the cams turning? are they out of sync? What exactly do you mean by they are not facing up?
Yes. It does turn. But I can't install cam locking tool, I can't align them properly so the holes are upright( if one of them upright, another one angled little bit). Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Cadillacby
Yes. It does turn. But I can't install cam locking tool, I can't align them properly so the holes are upright( if one of them upright, another one angled little bit). Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
Sounds like the upper chain skipped, if its only a few degrees you should be ok. Turn the crank till one of the cams is facing up. Take the rear cam cover off and remove the cam adjuster bolts, slide cam adjusters off and undo the chain. Put the cam adjuster back on cam that is out of alignment and gently turn it till its aligned with the other. Lock in place with cam lock. Remember this is an interference fit engine, if you turn the cam too much you can bend a valve as the piston will be at tdc. Again, if its only a little off, you'll be ok. Good luck.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sounds like the upper chain skipped, if its only a few degrees you should be ok. Turn the crank till one of the cams is facing up. Take the rear cam cover off and remove the cam adjuster bolts, slide cam adjusters off and undo the chain. Put the cam adjuster back on cam that is out of alignment and gently turn it till its aligned with the other. Lock in place with cam lock. Remember this is an interference fit engine, if you turn the cam too much you can bend a valve as the piston will be at tdc. Again, if its only a little off, you'll be ok. Good luck.
Thanks. I'll try it. How to check which one is off (I mean cams).

Quick Reply: DIY - A6 3.2 Upper Timing Chain Tensioner Replacement