A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Connect rearview camera to reverse light?

Old 01-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Connect rearview camera to reverse light?

I bought a after market rearview camera, can't seem to locate the wire for reverse light to connect the camera wire. Please someone help???????
Old 01-04-2010, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I also installed an aftermarket rearview camera in my car, and I connected the reverse wire to the green/black stripped wire that connects to the rear tail light. I hope this helps. Thanks!!
Old 01-05-2010, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

any pictures? pros and cons of the unit you chose? cost?
Old 01-05-2010, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 05whtaudia6
any pictures? pros and cons of the unit you chose? cost?
Would like to see those pics to. I am still looking for a affordable system that has it LCD mounted somewhere that not in public view. So people will not smash my window to steal it thinking it is a GPS when I go into the city.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I bought a MMI video adapter on eBay from Europe, and it integrates with the MMI screen. So there is no external monitor to use. The MMI video adapter accepts a composite input so I bought a Pioneer BD2 rearview camera. It works really well.

There is a new MMI video adapter that does the same thing, but it adds the feature that is found in the factory Audi APS rearview camera. When backing up, the adapter will overlay with lines to help guide you in backing up.

Overall, my setup worked pretty well. With it, I can also hook up my iPhone or video iPod, and display the video on the MMI screen. You can change the video input source (it accepts 3 video inputs) by pressing the NAME button.

The installation is very easy and straight forward. The only problem is that the connector sometimes gets lose and so the screen flickers. I will be securing it with zip tie and hopefully it will fix the problem.

I will post some picture later tonight when I get home. Thanks!!
Old 01-06-2010, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by danlui
I bought a MMI video adapter on eBay from Europe, and it integrates with the MMI screen. So there is no external monitor to use. The MMI video adapter accepts a composite input so I bought a Pioneer BD2 rearview camera. It works really well.

There is a new MMI video adapter that does the same thing, but it adds the feature that is found in the factory Audi APS rearview camera. When backing up, the adapter will overlay with lines to help guide you in backing up.

Overall, my setup worked pretty well. With it, I can also hook up my iPhone or video iPod, and display the video on the MMI screen. You can change the video input source (it accepts 3 video inputs) by pressing the NAME button.

The installation is very easy and straight forward. The only problem is that the connector sometimes gets lose and so the screen flickers. I will be securing it with zip tie and hopefully it will fix the problem.

wow that awesome. congrats. How much was parts? and labor? do you have links?

Thanks
Old 01-06-2010, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

You can search on eBay for "Audi MMI" and make sure you select "worldwide" search option. You will see many different ones at different prices. The one that I got is about GBP 120 which is about $200 USD. As for labor, I did it myself and it took me about 3 hours total to install everything. They come with pretty good instructions. Send me a PM and I can email you the soft copy of the instructions that I got.

On side note, if you don't have navigation, the newer units take RGB input from standalone gps navigation unit such as those from Garmin or Panasonic. The instructions does say that you can control the navigation unit via the MMI controls, but I'm not sure how that works. I have navigation in my car already.

Good luck!!
Old 01-06-2010, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Great info - look forward to the pictures.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nice, for $200, what a good product. Don't mind mine, after i installed the $89 rearview camera i didn't like the way it looked took it off. Can't wait for pics ...
Old 01-14-2010, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

You can search on eBay for "Audi MMI" and make sure you select "worldwide" search option. You will see many different ones at different prices. The one that I got is about GBP 120 which is about $200 USD. As for labor, I did it myself and it took me about 3 hours total to install everything. They come with pretty good instructions. Send me a PM and I can email you the soft copy of the instructions that I got.

On side note, if you don't have navigation, the newer units take RGB input from standalone gps navigation unit such as those from Garmin or Panasonic. The instructions does say that you can control the navigation unit via the MMI controls, but I'm not sure how that works. I have navigation in my car already.

Good luck!!

Hi danlui,

This is just what i am about to attempt. I bought a camera from China for £25, its similar to the Audi model and fits in the number plate housing. I now need to source a control module so that it interfaces with the MMI controls and the one you have sounds perfect. Would you mind posting a link to the sellar who provided yours please. Cheers zsharmask

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Connect rearview camera to reverse light?