A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Cheaper LED's...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheaper LED's...

...and easier to install. And most important they're not blue! Looks good at night. Daytime not so great not beeing powerful enough. You can install one for the trunk license plate without messing with the bulb. Is enough space between the chrome stripe and the trunk handle. I did and it looks so cool. It comes in set of 4 for $49.99 at Ikea and works on 12V.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50119407<ul><li><a href="http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2zidawl&amp;s=4">http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2zidawl&amp;s=4</a</li></ul>
Old 10-19-2008, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Sorry man, but you're driving an A6 . . . "cheaper" shouldn't be a concern.

I realize the economy is rough and all that, but why cheapen the look of what is otherwise a phenomenally classy looking car?
You managed to get an S6 grill but then you throw IKEA LED strips on the front of your $50+k Audi? I don't get it. The S6 LEDs really aren't that expensive when you look at them in the grand scheme of all possible mods. Why not just save for a bit and do it the right way? Anyone can roll out to IKEA and toss some LEDs on any car. Part of the reason that the Audi LEDs look so great (IMHO) is the way that they are integrated into the look of the car. They don't look like an after thought.

Take those things off and bring the class back to your A6.
Not trying to be harsh, but when you post on here, you're asking for people's opinions.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Tacky

I hate these cheap versions of the LED's. Do it the real way, like One Hot Avant, or don't do it at all. Just my opinion.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Sorry man, but you're driving an A6 . . . "cheaper" shouldn't be a concern.

I agree with you, but it's not just the $300 or so for the orig. leds. It's also the S6 bumper plus the painting that you have to add up. Not talking about labour..And I realy like my lip spoiler at the bottom of the front bumper.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 885 Likes on 724 Posts

Not my taste. Hopefully you like it.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Sorry man, but you're driving an A6 . . . "cheaper" shouldn't be a concern.

..or I would better change the headlights with the new ones coming up in 2009. They have led's insight..
Old 10-20-2008, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default yeah i think the 09+ headlights might be a better option than the stick on LEDs... go with that

instead. I have to agree with OneHotAvant -- i am biased though
Old 10-20-2008, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plus maybe $2k for the S6 headlights.

I have similar led's and love them.

To do it"the real way" would require S6 headlights to keep functional fog lights.
I was not willing to trade functionality for aesthetics.

One Hot Advant, Do you have foglights?
Old 10-20-2008, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default S6 LED lights are not functional fog lights... i think they were designed for looks only...

i luv them and wouldn't trade them back for stock fog lights... but there is no functionality there (IMHO) they shine in every direction. They do look nice though with the proper bumper
Old 10-20-2008, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Don't have fog lights, looks like stock S6s do (corrected by Der Kimbo). . .

I realize that you'd have to spend more than $300 for each LED, and the bumper isn't really that much but I can see how it might add up to more than you're wanting to spend. If you're looking to go with the new 09 headlight housing with the LEDs integrated, you're looking at about $650-$700 per housing, so it's going to be comparable to the S6 LED mod in cost.

I learned an interesting fact about the S6 LEDs from an actual S6 driver the other day. When they are at their full brightness (DRL mode) they emit a very bright light that is technically "too bright" for night driving. Apparently, there is a "euro setting" in which the LEDs dim slightly when the headlights are turned on for night driving. I guess I can get a citation for my LEDs being at full brightness, just not sure how a cop would measure it . . .
The interesting part is that if you sit in your driveway with just the LEDs on at night, you can't see $*#! similar to if you were sitting there with just your fogs on. They're not intended to illuminate the road enough to stand alone, they're more of a complimentary light, like a standard fog light.
IMHO, the LEDs emit just as much if not more "functional" light to exist as fogs and that is why Audi opted not to include traditional fog lights on the S6.

To your point about having to go with S6 headlights to do the LED mod eric5412, the S6 headlights are exactly the same as the adaptive bi-xenons on a standard A6. (Looks like I was wrong as corrected by Der Kimbo in a post just below this one . . . S6s have fogs integrated into the headlight housing)

So, it seems that the functionality is the same as "standard fogs" just that the styling is very unique.

Good dialog boys, keep it comin'

Quick Reply: Cheaper LED's...