A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

cell ligt on panel. converter? 3.2fsi

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 10:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey. i have buyed this vcsd( wait for it). there is

I think this is more easy to use.

What's the difference between VCDS and an OBD-II Scan-Tool?
OBD-II is a government mandated diagnostic protocol that is primarily aimed at diagnosing emissions-related problems.** An OBD-II scan tool will work in many different brands of cars.* VCDS uses VW's proprietary diagnostic protocol and and is only designed and supported for use in VW/Audi vehicles.* Although you can use an OBD-II Scan Tool in an OBD-II compliant (1996 or newer) VW or Audi, an OBD-II Scan Tool can only talk to the engine, not the numerous other "intelligent" systems in the car.** Want to reprogram your central locks or your Radio?* Diagnose a problem with your ABS, Airbags, or Automatic Transmission?* Re-align your Immobilizer after swapping ECU's?* Reset your Service Reminder Indicators?** Communicate with a pre-1996 model (not OBD-II compliant) car?* An OBD-II Scan-Tool can't do any of these things. Please see our OBD-II Page for information on using the Generic OBD-II function in VCDS. Want some reasons to choose VCDS over a generic OBD-II scan tool? See this Real World Comparison.**
Old 06-05-2014, 09:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Oil flush transmission 6 speed HAV ZF

There is no fault to see/ find when scan and light panel is away". The transmission man ZF called me yesterday , and he say he dont think the tronic is the problem, But coils, and spark leaders. I told how i had drive, ( very hard, and the problem can Maybe fix it self now. But im not sure. Must the cell light be yellow to find the problem? The symptoms was lugging/ Hacking between 1800-2000 rpm. Like the engine dont get enough fuel, sorry for my bad English. And thanx for all respons here. Is not like that in Norway forum Audi. I will change the transmission oil , not Lifetime so Audi say, and hope i dont get problem after flush the converter
Old 06-13-2014, 12:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes could be the coil packs. There's a recall for them. The C6 doesn't have have "spark plug wires" so you can't check those as raj99 recommended because you don't have them.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by daredevil1
Yes could be the coil packs. There's a recall for them. The C6 doesn't have have "spark plug wires" so you can't check those as raj99 recommended because you don't have them.
Thanks, I'm aware that they are called coil packs, however wanted to use the generic term so that the OP wouldn't be further confused. Since, English is not his primary language and everyone who knows anything about cars knows what a spark plug wire is, whereby a "coil pack" is less intuitive.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:59 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by raj99
So I've played around a little with the ELM327 and w/Carista. All you are getting is a generic OBDII reader and basic fault reset functionality. It's not anywhere the same level of functionality as the RossTech product, nor does it allow the coding in and out of items via long-code, etc...

If all you need is basic OBDII functionality, there are numerous ones available, even the generic cables that run RossTech lite version of s/w are better than 90+% of the Wallyworld obd2 kits being sold for $25 or so.
Hi guys, we (Carista) are now officially a vendor here, so I'd like to clarify what the app can and cannot do, since there was some imprecise info posted. Carista is NOT just a generic OBDII reader.

It CAN connect to all ECUs in the car (incl. ABS, airbag, etc.) using a VAG-specific protocol and pull VAG-specific codes, just like dealer software or VCDS can.

It CAN change "adaptations" (which we call "customizations"), although we don't yet support the full set of adaptations that the dealer or VCDS can do.

It CANNOT change ECU coding (yet). We're working on adding this capability.

It CANNOT display real-time engine data. We don't have any immediate plans to support this, since that's not the point of our app.

It costs $19.99 for the app plus about $10-20 for the Bluetooth dongle. Just sayin'
Old 06-26-2014, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Carista
Hi guys, we (Carista) are now officially a vendor here, so I'd like to clarify what the app can and cannot do, since there was some imprecise info posted. Carista is NOT just a generic OBDII reader.

It CAN connect to all ECUs in the car (incl. ABS, airbag, etc.) using a VAG-specific protocol and pull VAG-specific codes, just like dealer software or VCDS can.

It CAN change "adaptations" (which we call "customizations"), although we don't yet support the full set of adaptations that the dealer or VCDS can do.

It CANNOT display real-time engine data. We don't have any immediate plans to support this, since that's not the point of our app.

It costs $19.99 for the app plus about $10-20 for the Bluetooth dongle. Just sayin'
If only you guys had a trial for your Pro version I'd be interested to try it before dropping $20.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:33 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by enoch861
If only you guys had a trial for your Pro version I'd be interested to try it before dropping $20.
Well, the good thing is that the app doesn't even let you buy the Pro Package until it detects that you have a compatible car and you have some non-OBD2 error codes, or you wanna change some customization setting (it shows you what settings are available and what their current values are for free). So by that time, you know that it can successfully connect to your car and read codes and setting values.

But as a special "promo" since we're new to this forum, I can give you a free 14-day trial. How does that sound? Just PM me the Google account with which you're logged into your Android device and I'll enable that for your account.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well, the good thing is that the app doesn't even let you buy the Pro Package until it detects that you have a compatible car and you have some non-OBD2 error codes, or you wanna change some customization setting (it shows you what settings are available and what their current values are for free). So by that time, you know that it can successfully connect to your car and read codes and setting values.

But as a special "promo" since we're new to this forum, I can give you a free 14-day trial. How does that sound? Just PM me the Google account with which you're logged into your Android device and I'll enable that for your account.
That sounds good. PM Sent.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Do you happen to have a detailed side by side comparison as to what 'customizations' you offer vs. VCDS? Or at the very least a complete list of your customization specific to the C6?

I'd also be interested in understanding your roadmap re: ECU coding.

Feel free to PM me, if you'd like to work with someone to do any testing or validation, I have a lot of experience with that
Old 06-27-2014, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

So I just tried the app and indeed it does read VAG specific codes (quite impressive since it groups everything and gives you a mini explanation). It also does allow you to do a small amount of adaptations.
I can say that making changes does work. This app actually allowed me to fix the sunroof that wouldn't open with the key. Now it actually does.
Is it worth $20? Yes. Beats buying a $300 cable just to read what codes you have - but obviously it doesn't replace the cable. It's more of a supplement to a VAG. But for a total of $35 ($20 for the app + $15 for OBDII reader from Amazon) to be able to read and clear VAG specific codes, its a steal!
I will be buying the app after my trial period ends, hopefully you guys can add more adaptations for the A6 than the currently limited selection.
Here are some screenshots that show what the app can do (I am missing a screenshot that shows my ABS module faults and the fact that I have no OBDII codes):

Name:  Screenshot_2014-06-27-12-24-32.png
Views: 38
Size:  87.4 KB

Name:  Screenshot_2014-06-27-12-23-54.png
Views: 28
Size:  88.6 KB

Name:  Screenshot_2014-06-27-12-24-03.png
Views: 33
Size:  144.6 KB

Name:  Screenshot_2014-06-27-12-24-08.png
Views: 29
Size:  148.6 KB

Name:  Screenshot_2014-06-27-12-24-16.png
Views: 32
Size:  67.3 KB

Name:  Screenshot_2014-06-27-12-24-22.png
Views: 23
Size:  69.6 KB

Name:  Screenshot_2014-06-27-12-23-06.png
Views: 36
Size:  145.0 KB

I tried this app on my '05 A6. I haven't had a change to try it on a Toyota or Lexus to see what happens.
Overall I have to say that I am impressed with the capabilities of the app so far. If more adaptations/long coding can be added this would be an amazing app. And the best part? No need for a computer or physical connection.

Last edited by enoch861; 06-27-2014 at 06:51 PM.