A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Castrol Syntec

Old 06-17-2010, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Castrol Syntec

I've only used Mobil1 0W-40 in the past. The Audi Oil Quality standards VW 502 00.. doc does indicate that Castrol 5W-30 or 40 does meet Audi standards. Does anyone regularly use Castrol - thoughts? Or is Mobil1 the best choice available in the US? I was planning to use the fully synthetic Castrol Syntec oil
Old 06-17-2010, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by am_ver
I've only used Mobil1 0W-40 in the past. The Audi Oil Quality standards VW 502 00.. doc does indicate that Castrol 5W-30 or 40 does meet Audi standards. Does anyone regularly use Castrol - thoughts? Or is Mobil1 the best choice available in the US? I was planning to use the fully synthetic Castrol Syntec oil
ive used catrol syntec after speaking to audi over the phone. my car starts to burn oil about 2k miles before my next service and ive been topping off with it
Old 06-17-2010, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you want to use Syntec, I suggest you use 0W30 only, it is the only true synthetic castrol syntec oil and specifically made for vw standards.

However after a lot of research and testing a lot of different oils on the A6, I've found that Lubro Moly 0W40 is by far the best oil for protection, performance and fuel economy. I swear by it.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer used to use Castrol Syntec 5w40. They now use Total 5w40.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used Castrol 0W40 when I changed the oil last time and so far everything is pretty good. I did experienced a little oil consumption a coulpe of weeks before I changed the oil, is this normal on the C6 as that was my first oil change? I thought that it was probably due to the oil thining at the end of the oil life cycle but not really sure.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jujuC6
I used Castrol 0W40 when I changed the oil last time and so far everything is pretty good. I did experienced a little oil consumption a coulpe of weeks before I changed the oil, is this normal on the C6 as that was my first oil change? I thought that it was probably due to the oil thining at the end of the oil life cycle but not really sure.
I have been told a little oil consumption is normal. Esp on the 4.2.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by freshfrompacificrim
However after a lot of research and testing a lot of different oils on the A6, I've found that Lubro Moly 0W40 is by far the best oil for protection, performance and fuel economy. I swear by it.
What is the best place to buy Lubro Moly? if online - where? I don't think my local pepboys/kragen/autozone carry this stuff.

however, lubro moly 0w-40 is not on the approved oils (see pdf in my initial post)

Last edited by am_ver; 06-18-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:01 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

I'm not knocking lubro-moly, but I believe they also changed there US formula to be in line with the more loose definition of "synthetic" that came out of the Mobil/Castrol battle years ago. It may not make a bit of quality difference but it is interesting to know they are now using the term "synthetic technology" instead of "fully synthetic".
Old 06-18-2010, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by am_ver
What is the best place to buy Lubro Moly? if online - where? I don't think my local pepboys/kragen/autozone carry this stuff.

however, lubro moly 0w-40 is not on the approved oils (see pdf in my initial post)
I get mine from Car Quest (special order) for about $40/5L.

And i Don't know if that list is updated or not, but 0W40 LM is 502 approved. It is actually exactly the same as LM 5W40 but a slight more viscous, thus moving the oil at a faster pace upon startup, but the difference is negligible.

However I've switched to a 5W40 weight because it is slightly thicker and reduces a bit of engine noise.

Don't use M1 (oil burner), Quaker State (seal penetration), etc.

I have a local shop that specializes in AMG models of Mercedes, and they swear by Lubro Moly.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gk1
I'm not knocking lubro-moly, but I believe they also changed there US formula to be in line with the more loose definition of "synthetic" that came out of the Mobil/Castrol battle years ago. It may not make a bit of quality difference but it is interesting to know they are now using the term "synthetic technology" instead of "fully synthetic".
That is interesting. I have both jugs in front of me right now.
The LM 0W40 says "Fully Synthetic Motor Oil", while the 5W40 has "Synthetic Technology" on it.
Based on real world evidence including oil lab testing, LM is really the only oil that never burns off, even a little, has better performance (esp low end torque), and lowest amount of deposits even after 8000kms.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Castrol Syntec