A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Problem import Phonebook

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem import Phonebook

Hello guys,
I recently purchased an Audi A5 2009.
I been looking all over the internet and over the Audi A5 forum, but they suggest A6 forum will help!
So here it is, can someone point me to the right direction?

I am very new to A5, just purchased one last week! I am loving it!
I myself are also new to Android phone, and a few weeks ago I purchased the HTC Incredible.

Right now I paired my HTC Android 2.1 phone to my A5, but unfortunately I am unable to get the phonebook import to the car.

I use the phone in my A5 at least 1-2hrs a day for 2 weeks now, so definitely time will not solve the problem.
But from the replies, it seems that many of you who do not have this problem is because of owning the 2010 Audi A5? Anyone with 2009 Audi A5, and have no problem with the phonebook either?
Completely automatically after paired and connected with the phone?

Because I am bring my car back to the dealer for some other things and getting a loaner, so I want to let the dealer know about this if it is a problem specifically for me only.

Any one with Android phone (best will be HTC incredible) and also driving a 2009 Audi A5 with Navigation, and have no problem having the phonebook imported?

Another thing on the side, my g/f bought an 2009 Audi A4 2.0T, and she also has the HTC Incredible, (also 2 weeks now) and her phonebook is not getting imported either.
Is it HTC Incredible the problem?
Is it the year 2009 the problem?
Is it Android vs Audi 2009 MMI problem?
Or our car has problem that need a fix on?

Thanks all!
Old 06-08-2010, 08:48 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts
Default I just got the HTC Evo today and no problem.

While I haven't messed around with it too much it paired to the A6 and the phonebook worked no problem. I do believe the contacts need to be saved in your "People" app for them to appear in the Audi Phonebook as I have many contacts in exchange and gmail that do not appear on the Audi phonebook because I did not save them all to "People".
Old 06-09-2010, 02:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had more numbers than Audi could hold and all that information is still there from my BBStorm. I may try to blow it away and start from scratch. I can access all my phones contacts via the MMI while the phone is connected through Blue tooth though. I am using an Incredible now and will play with it a little.

Someone else mentioned that their would not pair while the phone was "locked". I have had occasions where the phone to a little while to pair but have not been able to link it directly to the phone being "locked".

I also always place my calls using the hand set. For me it is easier to do that then navigate the MMI.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spence341
I had more numbers than Audi could hold and all that information is still there from my BBStorm. I may try to blow it away and start from scratch. I can access all my phones contacts via the MMI while the phone is connected through Blue tooth though. I am using an Incredible now and will play with it a little.

Someone else mentioned that their would not pair while the phone was "locked". I have had occasions where the phone to a little while to pair but have not been able to link it directly to the phone being "locked".

I also always place my calls using the hand set. For me it is easier to do that then navigate the MMI.
I was the one with the "locked" pairing issue; however I've learned that it can be locked, but I need to hit the top button of the Incredible to turn on the display in order for the pairing to connect. Also had a Storm prior to this phone where my Contacts were imported to the car, but way too many to fit on the car system.

As with the OP, my People (from the Incredible) have not uploaded to the car, though all the other functions are fine (missed, received, dialed calls, etc.). No biggie because I have just input to the car's Directory the 30 numbers or so that I use the most.

I just exported my Outlook Contacts to Google Contacts and then directly to the phone and they show up in the People app. Somebody earlier said he didn't import them from Google, but I'm not sure what he means by that. If they are in my People App on the phone, shouldn't they upload to the car?
Old 06-09-2010, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Inocent Bystndr
I was the one with the "locked" pairing issue; however I've learned that it can be locked, but I need to hit the top button of the Incredible to turn on the display in order for the pairing to connect. Also had a Storm prior to this phone where my Contacts were imported to the car, but way too many to fit on the car system.

As with the OP, my People (from the Incredible) have not uploaded to the car, though all the other functions are fine (missed, received, dialed calls, etc.). No biggie because I have just input to the car's Directory the 30 numbers or so that I use the most.

I just exported my Outlook Contacts to Google Contacts and then directly to the phone and they show up in the People app. Somebody earlier said he didn't import them from Google, but I'm not sure what he means by that. If they are in my People App on the phone, shouldn't they upload to the car?
I am a little confused. If I select Directory, it gives me what I downloaded to the car's hard drive. If I select Phone Book, it gives me everything in My People on my Incredible. Are you saying that when you select the Phone Book option it is empty? I am not sure if you can assign voice tags unless it is in the Directory though. One of the things I would change on is the voice feature. Acura does it right.

Photo's taken with Incredible. It also takes great video.
Attached Images   

Last edited by spence341; 06-09-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:55 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

The EVO has the same behavior regarding pairing with the same solution "hit the top button of to turn on the display in order for the pairing to connect."
Old 06-10-2010, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default People?

Thanks for the reply guys!
I use google account, so I have my Google contacts SYNC to my HTC incredible.
And on my phone, if I go into PEOPLE, it shows me all the contacts (basically everything I created in gmail.com)
So is this mean the "PEOPLE" you mentioned where the car will take all the contacts from "PEOPLE" into the MMI?

Or I have to somehow create a new group in Google, and name it PEOPLE, so those contacts will be added into MMI?

For me, this is what happen. Take a look at this pic.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

I need help, because it is so annoying to have no phonebook!

Originally Posted by gk1
While I haven't messed around with it too much it paired to the A6 and the phonebook worked no problem. I do believe the contacts need to be saved in your "People" app for them to appear in the Audi Phonebook as I have many contacts in exchange and gmail that do not appear on the Audi phonebook because I did not save them all to "People".
Old 06-12-2010, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Phone book in A6

My phone book is from outlook, used at work. Therefore it had over 1000 entries in it.
Initially, the phone book would try to load for 5 min or so, then give up.
I lowered the number of entries to less than 950, and now it works all the time.

You may also want to ask the dealer which phones are "certified" to work with your car.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:18 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Unfortunately I don't know why it isn't working for you. I'm just mentioning that it did not sync contacts which are not in "people"...like exchange directories. But since you are using Gmail and your contacts are already in "people" I don't know why it wouldn't be working, unless you have hundreds of contacts and it takes a while to sync to the car?
Old 06-12-2010, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have like 100-150 contacts.
I brought it back to the dealer, and they said they need to take my phone and the car for 1 week to diagnostic it....
LOL.. yeah.. no car, no phone??
This is ridiculous!

Originally Posted by gk1
Unfortunately I don't know why it isn't working for you. I'm just mentioning that it did not sync contacts which are not in "people"...like exchange directories. But since you are using Gmail and your contacts are already in "people" I don't know why it wouldn't be working, unless you have hundreds of contacts and it takes a while to sync to the car?

Quick Reply: Problem import Phonebook