A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Car selling advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 04:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car selling advice

Hi guys,

So here's the scenario, I am 27. My 2005 Audi A6 4.2 is the first car I've ever owned (loved every second i was in it)/(hated every second i was paying for it to be in the workshop)and it is now time for the car to go. Thing is, I have zero experience selling a car and i have a few questions that I hope some kind souls could help me out with. Here are the car specs and questions. Thanks in advance!!

2005 Audi A6 4.2 Quattro
Mileage: 104500

Exterior Imperfections:
Front bumper: scrap at front right side from making a tight turn in a parking garage No cracks

Rear bumper: people can't parallel park and i came back to a rear bumper that has crack lines in the paint

01/2010 Minor accident from collision. cabbie didn't check blind spot and changed lanes to stop for a fare in front of me (front right bumper damage) not noticeable at all. ( air bag not deployed/no structural damage / no engine damage) and I've been driving the car ever since with no change to performance

Interior Imperfections:
Front Center console armrest with storage can't be secured because the handle broke off

Extras/Work done
Transmission Rebuilt at 103860 miles in 02/2012 12000mile/1yr nationwide warranty

New Nokian WRG2 tires / ceramic brake pads at 90000 miles

Shell V-power / Mobil One Synthetic Oil(every 5000 miles) used exclusively

Receipts kept for all work done on car.

S6 front grille installed

H&R Sway bar installed to replace original sway bar (improves car handling marginally)/(original sway bar will come with car)

Magnaflow resonated tips are installed (original mufflers will come with car ($100-150) to reinstall)

Nov 2010 New spark plugs. TSB replacement from Audi

QUESTIONS:
1) where should i sell the car? I am in Madison, WI. Online? Ebay etc?
- given the car's high mileage

2) Are the imperfections / accident i listed a big deal for a used car and will affect prices greatly or should i get it fixed up?

3)I just rebuilt the transmission for $5+K which should quell the fears of people buying used cars, any "consumable" part of the car has been changed in the last year and has plenty of life to it, is this something i should highlight? Will it help me fetch a better price?

4)I removed the mufflers and put on the magnaflow resonated tips. I love it to bits at high revs and on the highway but unless i drive it in "sports mode" in the city, it sounds like a truck. Should i get this fixed or should i sell the car as is?

5) how much do you think i can reasonably fetch for it
That's all the questions i have for now.

cheers & thanks once again for bothering to read this and helping a newbie out.

Tim
Old 02-13-2012, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by timocide
Hi guys,

So here's the scenario, I am 27. My 2005 Audi A6 4.2 is the first car I've ever owned (loved every second i was in it)/(hated every second i was paying for it to be in the workshop)and it is now time for the car to go. Thing is, I have zero experience selling a car and i have a few questions that I hope some kind souls could help me out with. Here are the car specs and questions. Thanks in advance!!

2005 Audi A6 4.2 Quattro
Mileage: 104500

Exterior Imperfections:
Front bumper: scrap at front right side from making a tight turn in a parking garage No cracks

Rear bumper: people can't parallel park and i came back to a rear bumper that has crack lines in the paint

01/2010 Minor accident from collision. cabbie didn't check blind spot and changed lanes to stop for a fare in front of me (front right bumper damage) not noticeable at all. ( air bag not deployed/no structural damage / no engine damage) and I've been driving the car ever since with no change to performance

Interior Imperfections:
Front Center console armrest with storage can't be secured because the handle broke off

Extras/Work done
Transmission Rebuilt at 103860 miles in 02/2012 12000mile/1yr nationwide warranty

New Nokian WRG2 tires / ceramic brake pads at 90000 miles

Shell V-power / Mobil One Synthetic Oil(every 5000 miles) used exclusively

Receipts kept for all work done on car.

S6 front grille installed

H&R Sway bar installed to replace original sway bar (improves car handling marginally)/(original sway bar will come with car)

Magnaflow resonated tips are installed (original mufflers will come with car ($100-150) to reinstall)

Nov 2010 New spark plugs. TSB replacement from Audi

QUESTIONS:
1) where should i sell the car? I am in Madison, WI. Online? Ebay etc?
- given the car's high mileage

2) Are the imperfections / accident i listed a big deal for a used car and will affect prices greatly or should i get it fixed up?

3)I just rebuilt the transmission for $5+K which should quell the fears of people buying used cars, any "consumable" part of the car has been changed in the last year and has plenty of life to it, is this something i should highlight? Will it help me fetch a better price?

4)I removed the mufflers and put on the magnaflow resonated tips. I love it to bits at high revs and on the highway but unless i drive it in "sports mode" in the city, it sounds like a truck. Should i get this fixed or should i sell the car as is?

5) how much do you think i can reasonably fetch for it
That's all the questions i have for now.

cheers & thanks once again for bothering to read this and helping a newbie out.

Tim

well i actually never sold my car officially priavelty. I tried but it was rather difficult.

1. you have people who email interested and then you answer their questions and they just never respond. Its not like one or two emails more like 5 or 6 emails and you just never hear from them again.
2. depending on the state you are responsible to pay for any repairs to the new owner to pass inspection. Also think they have 30 days or something that you have to pay for any breakdowns. that might be for dealers tho.

I used auto trader. I guess if i had to sell it privately i would use ebay because at least people who bid have to buy.

Honestly, since i am assuming you are buying another car its a lot easier just to trade it in.

p.s. if you selling locally make sure the guy give you a bank check for the car
Old 02-13-2012, 08:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Lol I am actually selling for good as I'm leaving the US haha. WIsh i could trade it in, if so, i wouldn't have dumped the 5k to get the tranny rebuilt. Was thinking about the Ebay route too, more visibility i think, compared to advertising locally.

Have you sold your car yet?
Old 02-13-2012, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

I sold my vehicles privately since 1982, and never traded in to a dealer. I have used newspaper want ads, parking on the side of a road with a sign, and word of mouth. My last sale I made in 2008 was my 1996 Audi A6 Avant that I sold to my next door neighbor w/o any advertising (yes, we are still on speaking terms!). To establish a price, I used Edmunds' True Market Value (TMV) as a guide, as well as what is currently listed around the area. You can also get an appraiser to give you a suggested selling price, but he/she will charge you a fee. You should be honest in evaluating your vehicle for the condition, things that need attention near–term and long–term, and any cosmetic damage that affects the appearance of the A6. For advertising/listing, you have several to choice from: eBay, Cars.com, Autotrader.com, Craigslist, Audiworld Marketplace, QuattroWorld (the other site), local newspaper, a consignment lot, etc. The number of outlets you should use depends on how fast you want or need to sell the car (also the asking price).

Re: the Magnflow tips - I'd remove them and go back to stock. You may think they are cool, but would any potential buyer like them?? The next owner could do his own thing, which could be quite different than what you have done.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!
Old 02-14-2012, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 381 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by timocide

Tim, is a feature like this going to be a strong selling point in rural, conservative WI? Think about the 99% buyer considering an Audi A8. Will they be seeking a loud exhaust and aftermarket mods? I think you may give consideration to un-doing that "mod".

Throw the car on Craigslist.Get the car cleaned up, in and out. Get some good pictures of the car, not camera phone pictures. Show the good and the bad in your ad.

I've sold numerous cars on Craiglist. It works pretty well. Price the car based upon condition, miles,etc. Don't put a crazy price and you will get the car sold sooner or later.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Tim,

Technology is your friend. Use the internet to reach buyers that you would normally never reach. I have bought and sold 10+ cars over the past 25 years of driving - ALL were done via the internet.

Best site: www.autotrader.com

Good site: www.craigslist.com

The number one thing to make sure you do - TAKE GOOD PICTURES. Make sure your pictures are focused and centered. Don’t take pictures of the ash tray, or radio buttons - no one cares about that. Take pictures from the front, side and rear. Take pictures of the overall dashboard and a picture of the outside looking in at the interior. Bad, unfocused pictures will get you ZERO interest in your car.

Lastly, make sure you list items that are wrong with the car. Don’t list every single little scratch - it’s a 2005 - you will have scratches. List things that are broken, or malfunctioning - those things will show that you are an honest seller.

Having any/all service records is a HUGE plus and should be listed as available in your advertisement.

FUBAR 4.2
2005 A6 / 4.2