A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Can i update my MMI?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skimblzbvs
My plan is to use this process described here.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...pdate-2876776/

He went from 11.90 to 46.10 with the 2 discs he had. Worked well it seems though each may have to run multiple times. Thinking those are the two separate discs mentioned in that link you provided.
I still updated to 3360 just to be safe then ran the other 2 cds for 4610. I was driving the car at the time too did not bother the process but i would not recommend it. Yes you will have to run the CDs couple times just go back and forth and see if there are any updates that were missed. So far i am unable to find an AMI that is anywhere less than $450. Did email a junk yard to see what they can do for me recently purchased a steering knuckle because mines cracked on the right side...randomness at its best.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, finding parts for the A6 is a decent deal if you can find a salvage yard with the part you need. Got a whole mirror housing assembly for my wife's Canyon Red A6 for $100.00 vs 300 for just the glass from the dealer. And it was in primo condition!
Old 03-24-2016, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

I bought this for $300 http://www.ebay.com/itm/272172034081?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT I am going to try to have it put in place where the cd changer is this Saturday. Is there anything special i have to do or is just plug and play like the guide says. Waiting on the radio removal keys and getting the steering knuckle replaced Saturday as well hopefully and i can be back on the road with some music.

Last edited by saifxnyc; 03-24-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just did the AMI install. Pretty straight forward, though I added the AMI in addition to the CD player. I won't use the cd player much but I had the cable to have them both so why not.

Mine came with an old iphone cable and I got an aftermarket usb cable. I have a usb drive that plays music, but i have not tried to update the software for the ami via usb.

http://www.audi.de/etc/medialib/ngw/...userupdate.zip

I believe this link is for the software update. Just extract the bin file and put it on a usb. Not sure if there is a difference between EU and NA AMI software?

I don't think the MMI discs have AMI software updates do they?
Old 03-24-2016, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DreewMcK
I just did the AMI install. Pretty straight forward, though I added the AMI in addition to the CD player. I won't use the cd player much but I had the cable to have them both so why not. Mine came with an old iphone cable and I got an aftermarket usb cable. I have a usb drive that plays music, but i have not tried to update the software for the ami via usb. http://www.audi.de/etc/medialib/ngw/...userupdate.zip I believe this link is for the software update. Just extract the bin file and put it on a usb. Not sure if there is a difference between EU and NA AMI software? I don't think the MMI discs have AMI software updates do they?
So it is pretty much plug and play for me then. ? There shouldn't be no such thing as a component protection of some kind? What does the update allow you to do for the AMI? MMI CDs only update the MMI software not the AMI
Old 03-25-2016, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yea unplug, unplug, plug and play. No component protection on ami but the cd changer has it so you can't easily use it in another car.

I'm not sure exactly what the ami update does. I need to try and find a new blank usb that would work and I might attemp it. I'm a little worried about bricking it, given that it seems to be working fine now.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yea unplug, unplug, plug and play. No component protection on ami but the cd changer has it so you can't easily use it in another car. I'm not sure exactly what the ami update does. I need to try and find a new blank usb that would work and I might attemp it. I'm a little worried about bricking it, given that it seems to be working fine now.
Sounds good let me know how the update works for you. I will attempt mines on Saturday. I don't have the radio removal tools yet they're in the mail. Just out of curiosity is there another way to pull the cd changer out such as removing glove box and pushing it out from the back of the glove box or radio removal tool is the best bet. Also will this cable be fine for an old iPhone 4S. 4F0 051 510K
Attached Images  

Last edited by saifxnyc; 03-25-2016 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

hm... i don't think the "K" is going to work. I have an 07 with mmi 2g high and use an "L" cable for my wifes iphone 4. I think the K is for newer mmi, possibly the 3g? I'm pretty sure there was a change with the iphone itself that requires a new cable too, maybe that is what the K is, but i'm not sure if it was 4s, 5 or 6.

Also in terms of removing cd changer i'm not sure. I have the keys but i dropped the whole thing out and slid mine in next to it (had to cut out the back) so I didn't end up removing the changer.

It appears you have to have mmi version 4220 in order to use the ami update.

I found this somewhere:
Try this.
Save a track on a usb stick,connect it to the AMI (in AMI setup,set repeat/mix section to off),select using hard key < and then soft key manual and press info.
The Driver version is shown under the track.

Here are the translated instructions as per audi.de :
1. Download. The driver update on your PC Unzip the zip file and copy the unzipped BIN file on the USB stick.
• The BIN file must be in the root level of USB sticks. A file stored in a subfolder file is not recognized by the Audi music interface.
• The update file must be the only BIN file in the top directory
2. Select the Audi music interface as an active audio source.
3. Connect the USB adapter with the Audi music interface.
4. Insert the point 1. prepared USB flash drive into the USB adapter. The following message appears: "The device is initialized. Please wait..."
5. During the approximately 2-minute updates please do not remove the USB stick.
The following message appears: "The Audi music interface software is updated. Please wait..."
6. After a successful update the message: "The Audi music interface software has been updated successfully."
7. The update process is complete.
Please remove the USB drive and the USB adapter.

Good luck

Last edited by DreewMcK; 03-25-2016 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

hm... i don't think the "K" is going to work. I have an 07 with mmi 2g high and use an "L" cable for my wifes iphone 4. I think the K is for newer mmi, possibly the 3g? I'm pretty sure there was a change with the iphone itself that requires a new cable too, maybe that is what the K is, but i'm not sure if it was 4s, 5 or 6. Also in terms of removing cd changer i'm not sure. I have the keys but i dropped the whole thing out and slid mine in next to it (had to cut out the back) so I didn't end up removing the changer. It appears you have to have mmi version 4220 in order to use the ami update. I found this somewhere: Try this. Save a track on a usb stick,connect it to the AMI (in AMI setup,set repeat/mix section to off),select using hard key < and then soft key manual and press info. The Driver version is shown under the track. Here are the translated instructions as per audi.de : 1. Download. The driver update on your PC Unzip the zip file and copy the unzipped BIN file on the USB stick. • The BIN file must be in the root level of USB sticks. A file stored in a subfolder file is not recognized by the Audi music interface. • The update file must be the only BIN file in the top directory 2. Select the Audi music interface as an active audio source. 3. Connect the USB adapter with the Audi music interface. 4. Insert the point 1. prepared USB flash drive into the USB adapter. The following message appears: "The device is initialized. Please wait..." 5. During the approximately 2-minute updates please do not remove the USB stick. The following message appears: "The Audi music interface software is updated. Please wait..." 6. After a successful update the message: "The Audi music interface software has been updated successfully." 7. The update process is complete. Please remove the USB drive and the USB adapter. Good luck
thanks I managed to put the ami in by dropping the glovebox and using the radio keys to remove the cd changer as I pushed on it from the back. It was simply plug and play and I have a cd changer I don't need now. I believe my cable is not compatible with the iPod. Could you please tell me which cable would work fine with my iPhone 6s. I was thinking of adding Bluetooth capability with a Bluetooth adapter. The interface is new to me so I don't know what is normal behavior for it. On a side note the steering knuckle cracked again after I put the new one in there. My MMI version is 4610. I'll post some pictures with questions related to the AMI

Last edited by saifxnyc; 03-28-2016 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

i'm not sure exactly for iphone 6s. i think you need 4F0051510AC, which should work with MMI 2G.

4F0051510AD i think is only for mmi 3g+.

They are both lightning cables which I think is what you need. There was a great site with lots of pics of the different cables but i think it is offline now.

Aside from charging the phone, I prefer the USB cable - 4F0 051 510 G

I did rear somewhere that the "K" cable worked after doing the ami update. The K - E or L cables will work up to iphone 4s, before they switched to lightning.

I don't have a K cable to test before/after AMI update unfortunately.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Can i update my MMI?