A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 07-25-2016, 03:19 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C5) Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

C6 ABS module Removal Question.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kaferboy1
I just did this yesterday and shipped my ABS module to ModuleMaster. I had to remove the phillips screw holding down the coolant resevoir. Disconnected the harness. Removed the 2 nuts holding the ABS pump to the metal bracket. Removed the upper screw holding the metal bracket. Removed the 2 lower screws holding the metal bracket (hidden under a wire loom). I was then able to carefully "tweak" over the whole ABS assembly away from the bracket just enough to get a wrench on the four E5 Torx bolts. Carefully remove the module straight away from the ABS. After that I wrapped everything in Aluminum foil as suggested by modulemaster. Packaged, shipped, BAM! its off for repair.

Now I just have to deal with lights and sounds of the dash Christmas tree. Just wish the tune was a little less nagging. ;-)
Nice, so there is a way to take out just the module without the pump. When I did it I could not figure out how to remove the bracket to remove the module screws so I drained the lines and removed the pump with module together. Unfortunately this method will side line your car so I am glad to hear there is a way of getting just the module.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I would of read this sooner, I took everything off. My car is in the garage, battery disconnected and brakes engaged. I've been driving my wife's Honda.

Going to order a legit vagcom cable tonight. I had back luck with the Chinese made ones.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jujuC6
I had mines rebuilt at ModuleMaster earlier this year and I could not find anyway to remove just the ABS module. The problem is a metal bracket that stands in the way of two of the four screws for the module. I drained the lines, removed the pump and shipped out my ABS module to get repaired.
JujuC6 when you received the module back did you put any silicone between the module and the pump?
Old 12-21-2011, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

You don have to use silicone because check the modulemaster website so you can read what they do.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by avirex421
JujuC6 when you received the module back did you put any silicone between the module and the pump?
I hear you on the chinese cable, it made me waste a couple of days because I ended up getting the real cable and then I returned the crap cable. Since I pulled the entire assembly pump with module I shipped the entire thing together just to be extra careful. They checked and tested my pump for free and they put it back together when I received it. I would ask them what do they recommend when putting it back together.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I got my module back from ModuleMasters and I installed it, toped off the brake fluid - turned on the car and the xmas lights were off. I did notice that my brakes are gone now because I need to bleed them.

Tomorrow I will begin to bleed the brakes so I can drive this thing again.

Any tips on brake bleeding?, Do i just follow the bentley instructions:

1 - Left front brake caliper
2 - Right front brake caliper
3 - Left rear brake caliper
4 - Right rear brake caliper

Did you have to run anything via vag-com?

Thanks for all the help & happy new year.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just got mine back as well. Putting it back in was not as easy as taking it out. The four torx screws were a pain with that bracket in the way, but with some cussing, tweaking, and a retractable magnet i was able to get it back on. I did have to use the vcds to reset the codes that tripped after driving for two weeks with the abs module out. After all that everything was good. No dash lights and no crazy beeps. ;-)
Old 01-06-2012, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kaferboy1
Just got mine back as well. Putting it back in was not as easy as taking it out. The four torx screws were a pain with that bracket in the way, but with some cussing, tweaking, and a retractable magnet i was able to get it back on. I did have to use the vcds to reset the codes that tripped after driving for two weeks with the abs module out. After all that everything was good. No dash lights and no crazy beeps. ;-)
Glad to hear it worked out...
Old 01-07-2012, 01:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

congrats kaferboy1.

I bled the brakes today and the fix is now complete. Felt good to drive my A6 after 2 weeks of driving my wife's honda or my mother's corolla.

No more loud *** warning beeps. All together I spent $425 which is allot cheaper than the $2100 the dealer quoted me.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by avirex421
congrats kaferboy1.

I bled the brakes today and the fix is now complete. Felt good to drive my A6 after 2 weeks of driving my wife's honda or my mother's corolla.

No more loud *** warning beeps. All together I spent $425 which is allot cheaper than the $2100 the dealer quoted me.
Good to hear you had success as well. My quote was $2700, doing it myself was $675 including car rental while my car was down. I am so glad we were able to brush off Audi's quote of our shoulders

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 ABS module Removal Question.