A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Brakes replaced, Now problems!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 11:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes replaced, Now problems!!!!!!!

Well i replaced brakes recently, all calipers and rotors. Now, i think my shocks are loose or something. The suspension rattles so bad and it gives a noise like a old truck. Also the when i turn the front wheels there's a "ticking" noise. What do u guys think the problem is? Will the dealer not fix it under warranty because i got the brake job done out side the dealership?

Anpk05
Old 12-17-2010, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

[QUOTE=anpk05;24076330]Well i replaced brakes recently, all calipers and rotors. Now, i think my shocks are loose or something. The suspension rattles so bad and it gives a noise like a old truck. Also the when i turn the front wheels there's a "ticking" noise. What do u guys think the problem is? Will the dealer not fix it under warranty because i got the brake job done out side the dealership?

Anpk05[/QUOTE

Could be the caliber clip was not installed properly and it pop out...
causing the loud rattle noise..

if so.. it should be covered under warranty
Old 12-17-2010, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you perform the job yourself or did you take it to the indy shop? Either way, the dealer won't cover the warranty since someone else touched the brakes. My guess is either calipers or rotors were not installed correctly. If you had the job done at the shop, take it back and ask them to check their work.

If you did the work yourself I'd follow Steath's advice and check your retaining clip and make sure it's on tight. If you can't figure it out and still want to save some $, take it to a reputable Audi indy shop and ask them to check your install work. They should charge you minimum fee and be able to quickly figure out what's wrong. Good luck!
Old 12-17-2010, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ticking front wheels could also be your wheel bearings. Mine went click-click - heard especially at low speeds.

Also check to make sure your anti-rattle clip (S-clip) is secure and in place - that could be reason for rattle as well.

check to make sure your guide pins are tight and torqued to right specs (20 lb ft?) - I can check on bentley if you want.

I'm presuming u used new pads as replacement - if using old pads (not sure why anyone would do this, but still wanted to point out), if the caliper is retracted all the way, then there will be play for the pads to jump around which can't be quite noisy.

Can't think of anything else besides that for the rattles.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

A quick check on the rattle ... If its your "S-clip" the clip that I was refering to b4...

drive towards a SMALL pothole or divid in the road around your area..
if you hear the rattle while going over that pothole,,, go back around and hit that same area and apply your brakes while going over it again..
If the rattle goes away as you apply the brakes... than you can be 99.99% sure its that "S-clip"

I just had mine fixed last night...
And sure enough... Thats what it was!
I'm a happy camper...
Now bring on the SNOW!~
Old 12-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanx for all the replies ill check and post back..