A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Tires

Old 05-26-2017, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires

So I'm just looking for options for tires. I still have about 60-75% left but for the future I wanna know what's a good tire. I have continental contiprocontact on them right now and I like them but is there another tire brand that's also as good? Was looking at some michelins or some pirellis. Anyone have the continental purecontact or extremecontact? Looking for an all season tire. Live in Washington so we get a bit of rain most of the year but summers are pretty hot and snow is once in a blue moon kinda thing. L
Old 05-27-2017, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Xppterz_A6
So I'm just looking for options for tires. I still have about 60-75% left but for the future I wanna know what's a good tire. I have continental contiprocontact on them right now and I like them but is there another tire brand that's also as good? Was looking at some michelins or some pirellis. Anyone have the continental purecontact or extremecontact? Looking for an all season tire. Live in Washington so we get a bit of rain most of the year but summers are pretty hot and snow is once in a blue moon kinda thing. L
I have Continental DWS06 and happy with them (https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...o&autoModClar=). I think Michelins a bit more expensive.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Take a look at the Tire Rack ratings. The Michelins do very well.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...jsp?type=UHPAS
Old 05-27-2017, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
Take a look at the Tire Rack ratings. The Michelins do very well.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...jsp?type=UHPAS
I've been looking all over tirerack for tires but didn't see these ratings list. So helpful....so I looked at some of those rating and changed it up to grand touring from the UHP tires. Some good info. The purecontact seems like something I would probably get. Looking for a smoother quiet ride. Not really gonna go all out where I need great handling like I was running from the cops. Thanks!
Old 05-27-2017, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by beep-beep
I have Continental DWS06 and happy with them (https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...o&autoModClar=). I think Michelins a bit more expensive.

my friend had the summer version on his BMW. But I think I'll get a grand touring tire. No need for high performance. Thanks for the recommend!
Old 05-29-2017, 01:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What amazed me is that consumer reports rated the Piirellis #1 in HP all-season tires, over the Michelin & Continentals.
I'm probably going with the continentals.
They'll definitely handle better than the pro-contacts that are on my car now & won't disturb the ride too much.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryJa
What amazed me is that consumer reports rated the Piirellis #1 in HP all-season tires, over the Michelin & Continentals.
I'm probably going with the continentals.
They'll definitely handle better than the pro-contacts that are on my car now & won't disturb the ride too much.
The more I read about the tires the more I get the opinion that pretty much all of them are value priced. You can get more expensive better tires or cheaper not as good tires. There is no hidden gems and you get what you pay for. So if you want most expensive - Michelin is the good choice. If you want to go with cheap - there are few Korean brands. If you want to stick with something OEM-ish Continental is your choice.

the important part - you need to pick between summer/all-season/studless
the size and the fact that A6 considered a heavy car and you need tires with "heavy load" rating.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nokian is well known for their snow tires and nearly everyone I know that's used them continues to do so. BUT they also make excellent All Season & Summer tires. Until recently their summer tires have been Ultra HP Zlines w/soft rubber (UTOQ 300) w/correspondingly low tread life. (20-25K) I've used them & loved them. They're relatively economical, much less than UHP Michelins which they compare favorably with. Recently they came out with a new design Zline A/S which is a little harder (500 UTOQ I think) and should last quite a bit longer. They also make the Entyre 2.0 which is a higher mileage tire. Since discovering Nokian about 25-30 yrs. ago I've been using the almost exclusively while averaging 40-60K yearly on two cars. Audis since '10. Nokian's seem to have very high resistance to hydro-planing across the board. Buying all my cars used I've experienced plenty of Mich, Conti, Bridgestone tires but really like Nokian. BUT Rotate every 5K! BIW I just talked to a friend who I'd convinced to try The Nokian Zline A/S. He bought an '11 A6 Avant 3.0t w/mid 20K miles in Austin, TX in Jan w/OEM Conti's on it. He put the the A/S's on yesterday & just called me! He's amazed at how much difference the new A/S make. He says it handles much better and much quieter!

Last edited by stuffinder; 05-31-2017 at 07:09 AM.