A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Avant Owners: OEM roof bars vs. other options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avant Owners: OEM roof bars vs. other options?

All you C6 Avant owners out there...if you have roof bars installed, what kind are you using and do you like them?

I was originally going to get the OEM bars from AudiPartsSuperStore (around $340 shipped), but they look somewhat tall and bulky. Seems to me like they'd make a lot of wind noise too.

Now I'm leaning toward the Thule Aeroblade Edge setup. Much cleaner and less bulky looking than OEM. RackOutfitters has custom black powder coated sets (around $450 shipped) that look really nice.

Does anyone have strong opinions about either setup that they'd be willing to share? Will most likely be using them for two fork-mount bike carriers at first. May also expand to a roof box or winter ski setup down the line. Photos of any setup installed on your avant would be awesome too!
Old 02-16-2014, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

I purchased an used set of the Audi roof bars for my '06 A6 Avant, and use them with a Thule box carrier. Although the bars are tall, there is no wind noise at highway speed when I have the carrier/bars installed.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LLskier23
All you C6 Avant owners out there...

Now I'm leaning toward the Thule Aeroblade Edge setup. Much cleaner and less bulky looking than OEM. RackOutfitters has custom black powder coated sets (around $450 shipped) that look really nice.

Does anyone have strong opinions about either setup that they'd be willing to share? Will most likely be using them for two fork-mount bike carriers at first. May also expand to a roof box or winter ski setup down the line. Photos of any setup installed on your avant would be awesome too!
I love the Thule Aeroblade Edge. Looks beautiful on the car and follows the same lines. Very very very well built. The extruded aluminum cross bar looks like a f-15 wing. I thought the price was crazy until I got them. A very well thought out system. It's cool how the ends adjust up to an inch to perfect fit the rails. And the rounded ends compliment the lines of the car. Looks like it was made for the Avant. Just use the fit guide on the Thule website.

I tried a set of the audi bars at a friends. they looked cheap and flimsy. Did not like the way they hung over the edge and how high they were. Looks like audi threw something together from stock parts. Or they got a low bidder to do it.

The very best bike trays are made by Rocky Mounts. They are made by a company in Boulder Colorado of bike nuts and former racers. They may a bike tray called they Euro Pitchfork that was custom made for the Thule Aeroblade bars. Extruded aluminum tray, low and sleek. Comes in 7 colors. Black and silver are anodized. The rest are powder coated. It will also fit in the audi cross bar grooves. The Euro Pitchfork was way ahead of Thule in coming out a sleek aerodynamic bike tray to fit into the groove of oem and Thule aero grooved crossbars. The Thule trays are way more expensive and look cobbled together.

Thule lock cores can be quickly modified to fit the Rocky Mounts trays. Great DIY on the Brimmerfest site. That way, one key fits crossbars, trays, ski racks. Thule and RM cores come from the same maker in Belgium.

The only issue with the Thule Aeroblade edge is height, may not be able to tilt open sunroof. Works fine for me. Also, because it's so new, some of the older kayak racks, boxes do not have adapters yet. Ski and snow board carriers fit perfect.

Sorry, no photos. With 4 feet of recent snow,cross bars are not mounted.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info guys. Thanks a bunch. Will probably end up going with the Aeroblade setup once the spring thaw hits here in Michigan...so maybe July or August at this rate. I think the custom black powder coated ones will look very clean with my black Avant.

As for bike carriers, I was already planning on some RockyMounts Euros as you suggested WWB. Plan to get a red and a yellow to match our two bikes. Will post pics eventually...

IIRC, RM lock cores can also be used in Thule parts, which are cheaper and will also allow for a one key setup. Question: do people usually use two locks on the bike carrier itself as suggested or just one to lock the quick release down?
Old 02-17-2014, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Two locks. One to keep the tray from being nicked and one for the skewer. Enjoy!