A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Automatic Car Wash: Is it bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic Car Wash: Is it bad?

I have subscription to a local car wash that gives me unlimited washes so I stop by automatic car wash every 2 to 3 days. are automatic car washes really that bad for the paint? And is it bad to wash the car that many times? I am afraid the paint will lose its color.

Thanks
Old 02-26-2011, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Guys in car wash told me that automatic car wash depends on what qualiti are thos big round brushes. If they are very old and hardly used,then it can scratch colour.

I hav not washed in those automatic car washes. I prefer hand wash
Old 02-26-2011, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

P.S. Anyway - every 2 to 3 days washing car is not good

I think max 2-3 times a month is enough
Old 02-26-2011, 09:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad experiences

I used auto carwash on a jeep I had and eventually the paint scratches looked similar to swirl marks. I only handwash my Audis because of this. I have been handwashing my '04 S4 since new, and I do it 3 times per week. Paint still looks factory fresh, so I don't think frequency is an issue. In fact, I would argue it helps grime from seeting in door sills, under hood, etc.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes it is terrible for your paint. Your paint wont lose its "color" though. It will just have tons of scratches in the clear-coat. Those brushes, no matter how "high-quality" they claim to be, wash hundreds of cars a day. That means, every piece of dirt and grim pulled off those cars get dragged across the paint on your car.

Handwashing is your best bet. If not, touchless car washes are not too bad if you just want to get some light dirt and dust of your car. However, they don't clean that well.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by triplecore
I have subscription to a local car wash that gives me unlimited washes so I stop by automatic car wash every 2 to 3 days. are automatic car washes really that bad for the paint? And is it bad to wash the car that many times? I am afraid the paint will lose its color.

Thanks
I seriously just had this conversation with my detail guy today, when I brought my A6 in to get the latest snow storm crap off. My Audi is black, and the prior owner was a big auto-wash fan. It took him at least (3) good details with polish and Collinite to get it back. We were talking about the harsh detergents at the auto-wash and how the process can hold dirt which scratches the car. Also, I think it (best description I have) drys out the finish and dulls it. Do yourself a favor, only visit the auto-wash when necessary. P.S. my detail guy only charges me $10 for a hand wash, hand dry, tire shine. I tip him $5. The auto-wash would probably charge me at least $12.

Regards,
Rich
The following users liked this post:
bigtreegc1 (10-13-2022)
Old 02-26-2011, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynnekdude
Yes it is terrible for your paint. Your paint wont lose its "color" though. It will just have tons of scratches in the clear-coat. Those brushes, no matter how "high-quality" they claim to be, wash hundreds of cars a day. That means, every piece of dirt and grim pulled off those cars get dragged across the paint on your car.

Handwashing is your best bet. If not, touchless car washes are not too bad if you just want to get some light dirt and dust of your car. However, they don't clean that well.
Totally agree!!
Old 02-26-2011, 07:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Auto car washes are a negative for me. I use the touchless ones from time to time but use the cheapest option since it doesnt include any hot waxes or "polishes". Just like most i prefer a washing my car by hand with quality products.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

ok thanks very much. I guess i will cancel that automatic car wash plan. I did notice that in bright sun at angles you can see white streets almost like if plastic had rubbed against the car. I am guessing that might be some problem with car wash machine.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:49 PM
gkb
AudiWorld Member

are you referring to "Golden Nozzle" unlimited wash pass? that is what I have an I have been using it for almost 1 year now, paint still looks as good as new, and I wash my car very often. They use an ultra soft cloth, and the spinners barely move, they apply as much pressure as you'd use with your hand, not those high powered spinners that can leave a scratch. They also have water jets that clean the cloth as it's spinning to keep it free from debris/dirt. I'd honestly say when going thru the wash just inspect the cleaning process and see what is actually being done.

Touch-less of course is somewhat but barley better but i've yet to find an unlimited one. To take advantage of the touch-less just give your car a real good hand wash then use the touch-less as a maintenance to keep dirt/debris from actually building up and hand-wash once every week.(con is touch-less is not as affective as you think it is)

everyone is always complaining about the automatic car wash but all ways have their cons, the drying process, if you use crappy towels, or did not handwash your car right, left small dirt/debris on the clearcoat soon as you "wipe" you scratch/swirl marks. some other cons of handwashing is in the sun, or simply not using enough water.

Air Dry/ or use a leaf blower!

THEY ALL HAVE THEIR PROS/CONS, just choose w.e you think works best!

Quick Reply: Automatic Car Wash: Is it bad?