A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Audi A6 C6 Avant sport suspension- help

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A6 C6 Avant sport suspension- help

Hi guys,

please I need an advice considering the following: I bought my Audi c6 Avant, which I enjoy a lot, but I have a problem with my sport suspension which is to stiff for my local poor roads. On the highway is perfect, but when I drive it outside is killing me and my wife

Is it possible to replace to a normal factory suspension? I know sounds a little bit weird, most of the people want opposite, but I figured out that I need a softer suspension and a higher car ( sport suspension on Audi is 20mm lower than original). It is sufficient to change the coil-overs and the shock absorbers to original non-sport factory ones? Or there are some other aspects that must be considered.

In the past, I was thinking to change the Audi sport shock-absorbers with Koni FSD, but that will not solve the ground distance of my car, which will remain 20mm lower.

ps: I don't want to sell this car and buy other one with normal suspension.

thanks a lot,
Adrian
Old 06-02-2013, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

To go back to non-sport suspension, you would probably need to replace both the coil springs and the shock absorbers, front and rear. Can be done, but won't be cheap (unless you can locate some used coil springs).
Old 06-02-2013, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you for your answer Gary.

So the biggest problem that you can see is the cost. I saw some SH offers on ebay also, maybe I'll give them a closer look.

adrian
Old 06-02-2013, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you give us more info? What type and size tire are you running?

I have replaced my stock springs from OEM non-sport to sport and the difference wasn't very noticeable. I really don't think you will appreciate the difference the OEM non-sport shocks and springs will give you, especially after spending all that money on parts and installation.

My advice would be to change your tires first. IMHO, tires (both size and type) make the biggest difference in ride quality. When I replaced my rims from 18" to 19", I really didn't notice that much of a sacrifice in ride quality. This was because I went with Conti DW tires, which are known for their soft ride. I just replaced these with Bridgestones HPAS tires and experienced a significant loss in ride quality. And moreover, increasing your sidewall ratio will drastically improve your ride quality.

So if you're running a 19", then definitely change them out to 18" If already running 18", you can either up size your tire or seriously take a look at going 17" rims.

BTW, to gain back the ride quality I lost, I just replaced my shocks with a set from Koni FSD. They do make a noticeable difference in ride quality.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

NR04 thank you for sharing your experience and for such a valuable advice. I have 16" rims , so the smallest available. I want to increase to 17" but i didn't due to suspension stiffness.

I will check my tires brand, if i remember right are continental conti 2.

Can you please tell me exactly what size tires should I buy in order to improve confort? I will buy then on 17" rims.

So, koni fsd really makes the difference right?

Thank you
Old 06-03-2013, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have stock springs for sale if you want them (cheap). They are from my A6 Avant.

No need to change the shocks.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

You really have a 16" rim? That's puzzling.... especially if your car came with a sports package. Audi normally installs larger rims with sports. So is your tire size 225/55/16?

I don't know if you want to up size your rim to 17" if you're already suffering from harsh ride. It will just make it worse. If you do decide to take a chance, the standard tire size that came on 17" from Audi is 245/45/17.

One of my co-workers has the Conti 2s on her BMW 5 series and hates the ride. If you search this forum, many people rave about how comfortable Conti DW or DWS series rides. I really believe that will make a big difference.

Yes, Koni FSD makes the difference on poor road conditions. What I noticed about these shocks is that their valving gets softer if you run into a series of bumps and pot holes. For instance, if you hit a single bump, it is softer than stock by about 20%. But if you run into a stretch of bad road section, the damping is softer by at least 35% (IMO). I believe the way FSD is designed, it gets softer once the shock movement is rapidly changing. Others have commented on similar observation.

Good luck!
Old 06-03-2013, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

That's right NR04, I have 16" rims with conti 2, size 225/55/16. I'm guessing the best alternative will be to Upgrade to 17" rims,with Conti DW tires and if still I will not be satisfied with them, I'll install the Koni FSD's.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by adrian825
In the past, I was thinking to change the Audi sport shock-absorbers with Koni FSD, but that will not solve the ground distance of my car, which will remain 20mm lower.
that is exactly what u should do
buy the Konis
check swaybar endlinks
check the bushings
etc etc

your gripe is harshness not clearance

you are not saying your driveway is 2 miles long and not paved and u need more ground clearnace
you are not saying u live in alaska and always knee deep in snow and need more clearance
your are saying u need a less harsher ride

i am willing to bet your suspension parts are worn NOT FAULTY but worn
fixing that is what you seek...not higher springs
people too quickly fault the springs
GL
Old 06-04-2013, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

I'd also recommend getting the Koni FSDs. Or if you are looking for stock springs and shocks PM, I took mine off my car to install my KW V1 coilovers.

Quick Reply: Audi A6 C6 Avant sport suspension- help