A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Another s6 carbon problem...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another s6 carbon problem...

Took my car in today to be dyno'd. It is underperforming as I feared and will go in next Friday to be looked at. The car blew black exhaust on the first couple of pulls and reached a max HP of 316 (thats a somewhat adjusted number for specifics of AWD mainline Dyno - mainly that it is a bit too conservative).

Allowing for 22% parasitic loss, that equates to only 405HP at the flywheel/crank. That compares to 435 stock which should be enhanced by the upgraded exhaust, intake, and APR stage 1 tune. Even if those modfications do not add horsepower at the same part of the range, the peak HP should be no lower than 455-460 if measured at the crank. Just the APR tune should add 25HP alone. My suspicion is that the carbon build-up is therefore robbing me of at least 55HP. So while it was not bad enough to throw a code, it was not far from it, based on the posts by DirtyVegasTT. More to follow....
Old 01-08-2011, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tturner2b
Took my car in today to be dyno'd. It is underperforming as I feared and will go in next Friday to be looked at. The car blew black exhaust on the first couple of pulls and reached a max HP of 316 (thats a somewhat adjusted number for specifics of AWD mainline Dyno - mainly that it is a bit too conservative).

Allowing for 22% parasitic loss, that equates to only 405HP at the flywheel/crank. That compares to 435 stock which should be enhanced by the upgraded exhaust, intake, and APR stage 1 tune. Even if those modfications do not add horsepower at the same part of the range, the peak HP should be no lower than 455-460 if measured at the crank. Just the APR tune should add 25HP alone. My suspicion is that the carbon build-up is therefore robbing me of at least 55HP. So while it was not bad enough to throw a code, it was not far from it, based on the posts by DirtyVegasTT. More to follow....
Oh geez, here we go again......

Let me know where you're having the work done to remove the carbon for future reference.

Keep us posted.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What gear did you dyno in and on what machine? Can you post a graph?

I have said this once and I will say it again that I think our cars do not put our the rated HP stock. I believe they are over-rated stock.

Where did you get the 22% to use for our tranny? I have seen various numbers, some as high as 30%. Again... depends on the dyno really. I think trying to go back to crank is a non-precise science in any case.

That said, I too believe that your wheel HP should be higher, especially with your mods.

Originally Posted by tturner2b

Old 01-09-2011, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

The dyno was the AWD Mainline Dyno at a place called Enzo Racing in long island (they were recommended by TyrolSport who does the mechanical work on my car). I have a graph and will scan it in. The car was in 4th gear for the dyno. As for the calculations, they were given to me by the guys at the shop. Have no idea if they are right and moreover as you have said in some of your previous posts, I think, a dyno is really only useful as a relative measurement tool, not an absolute one. I am convinced that I have significant carbon deposits moreso by the black smoke from the exhaust and the reduction in power that I feel it has over the past few months rather than the dyno results. I'll post some photos of the intake when Tyrol takes a look next week as well.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

tturner2b, sorry to interrupt, but are you from long island? I'm in North Bellmore. If you don't mind me asking, who did you use to powder coat your wheels? I was thinking of getting it done while I have the snows on the car, and I'd like to find someplace both local and reputable. Also, what did you do with the centercaps?

Finally, if you're not too far, I'd love to hear your car in person with the Milltek exhaust. I'm thinking about it, but not sure whether or not to go with resonators, or if at all. I'll buy the coffee if you've got a little time to spare.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mariof
tturner2b, sorry to interrupt, but are you from long island? I'm in North Bellmore. If you don't mind me asking, who did you use to powder coat your wheels? I was thinking of getting it done while I have the snows on the car, and I'd like to find someplace both local and reputable. Also, what did you do with the centercaps?

Finally, if you're not too far, I'd love to hear your car in person with the Milltek exhaust. I'm thinking about it, but not sure whether or not to go with resonators, or if at all. I'll buy the coffee if you've got a little time to spare.
I am having my S6 wheels repaired (curb rash) and powder coated with a bright silver color (they can do any color). Long Island Rim Repair is doing the job (they are located in Freeport 516-377-9577). I live in Merrick so it is very convenient as it will be for you.
I too have the snows on my car so the timing works out just fine.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Mike! Freeport is definitely very convenient for me. I'll have to check them out.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Update?
Old 02-14-2011, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DirtyVegasTT
Update?
Brought the car in three weeks ago to check on the carbon and before we really got started we found dried coolant flakes everywhere. With nightmares of a manifold problem in my head, tyrol recommended that i take the car to the dealer to have them check it in case it was serious issue (and could be covered under warranty).

The dealer told me that the problem was actually just a cracked hose and replaced the hose for an obnoxious amount of $$$ (which is to be expected) and returned the car to me but as I was traveling for 2 weeks I only was able to drive the car this weekend to make sure that there was not something more sinister going on. I drove a few hundred miles actually in the past three days and checked the coolant level and there were no leaks. I am now going back to Enzo to get another dyno as I am told that a coolant leak can actually cause power deterioration. That is scheduled for next Thursday. Assuming it has not changed, the car will go back to Tyrol to inspect the manifold for carbon.

Update to follow in a couple of weeks...
Old 02-14-2011, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Have you guys tried the Audi additive for the carbon issue: part number G00170003. My car runs a lot smoother after I add this to a tank of gas.

Quick Reply: Another s6 carbon problem...