A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

annoying messages from my car

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default annoying messages from my car

1. the car tells me my tyre pressure is low, but not which one. this would be nice to know when i pull over in the rain like I did today.
2. the car tells me constantly to check my washer fluid and top off, blinking and beeping and covering up the top line of the display on my gauge area where the radio station/song title and so forth usually go. Is this that important?

-k
Old 10-18-2011, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kevagonia
1. the car tells me my tyre pressure is low, but not which one. this would be nice to know when i pull over in the rain like I did today.
2. the car tells me constantly to check my washer fluid and top off, blinking and beeping and covering up the top line of the display on my gauge area where the radio station/song title and so forth usually go. Is this that important?

-k
You could buy a ford and have a tire blow up before you notice anything I feel you pain though. Messages of the screen can be switch off by clicking a button under windshield wiper lever.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, only 2008 and down since in 07 the tire monitoring system is standard. Same will be for ESP is coming in 2014.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The TPMS system in Audi (atleast in my 06) does not tell which tire is low - you have to check each tire.

I had rented an ugly chevy utility van some time ago - that POS told me what was the pressure in each of the tires... and I could see which tire was low and needed air. OP is complaining of that.

Originally Posted by thomas1978
well, only 2008 and down since in 07 the tire monitoring system is standard. Same will be for ESP is coming in 2014.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If one tire is low, you should probably check them all.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Owning this car a few years now I must say that the beep sound and how the message will continue to appear until addressed is very annoying. Ie when my drl the car made a nice loud beep at 7:00 am everyday I started and then gave me a nice picture for a minute in display. Then a small picture would stay at the top. A bit excessive for a failed drl. If this was a major failure or safety issue I would be in full support but for a drl. Come on. It's just annoying the owner to get it fixed. Ie "bring me to the dealer or I will nag you everyday." lol. They should take a page from merc by hidding less important messages in message folder which is toggles by the trip computer.

Sorry for the bad grammar. I'm responding from a phone
Old 10-22-2011, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

yeah, essentially how I felt about it. washer fluid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! washer fluid please!!!!!!!!! okay so unless I live in an erupting volcano how could that be worth this sort of annoyance?

k
Old 10-26-2011, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've had a DRL go out and get a msg saying bulb burned out. And it was. But just the other day for about 3 days in a row I got a burned out brake and turn signal light msg. I checked while I was getting the error and even after it went away and all lights were functioning normally. Does the car maybe notice when the bulb is going to burn out??? My dealer replaced the DRL for just the cost of the bulb ($4 give or take) Orginally was going to charge like $50ish for the labor, I refused. On my next oil change he said they did it because they were tired of seeing the alert on dash that the light was out.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 892 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by PFL1011
I've had a DRL go out and get a msg saying bulb burned out. And it was. But just the other day for about 3 days in a row I got a burned out brake and turn signal light msg. I checked while I was getting the error and even after it went away and all lights were functioning normally. Does the car maybe notice when the bulb is going to burn out??? My dealer replaced the DRL for just the cost of the bulb ($4 give or take) Orginally was going to charge like $50ish for the labor, I refused. On my next oil change he said they did it because they were tired of seeing the alert on dash that the light was out.
It is a common problem on the C6. Your light assembly is going to need to be replaced. It runs about $135.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The A8 has an MMI display that shows each tire's pressure and temp. You can upgrade your existing A6 MMI to do the same thing by replacing all the in-wheel TPMS sensors and the receivers at each wheel well, and running a new harness to the MMI. Kits are available for around $900. Yeah, it costs a lot.

I agree it would be very worthwhile info to have, as I find that procrastination often causes me to wait longer than I should to check the tires. Plus, the "idiot light" mode that our cars have is a little too imprecise to trust. I'd rather know the exact pressure any time I wanted, but it's a cost cutting move by AoA.

If your idiot light continues to go off in spite of good pressure all around, you need a new battery in one of the sensors. I had one fail, and my dealer replaced it. However, the tech reported that the other 3 sensors had low batteries, and they did nothing about them. Cool - let's make 4 trips to the shop instead of one! Again, a cheapo move. They hope the other 3 hold off until the car is out of warranty, I guess.

PS- I absolutely can't stand that shrill warning signal either. Nothing like having the crap scared out of you at highway speeds so you can find out your washer fluid is low. Why not a soothing chime?

Last edited by TVR1977; 11-08-2011 at 12:22 PM.