A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Audi A6 4F AMI and Android

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A6 4F AMI and Android

Hey guys,

I've searched around, and there was quite the number of threads about bringing more multimedia features to the MMI 2G High, but none of them covered my "special" needs

So after checking all the options for extending the media input to my MMI, I've decided to stick with the official solution - the Audio Music Interface (AMI) extension. The dealer's price was, of course, outrageous (500 euro for the unit, and 125 euro for the optic wires), but some kind people over at Poland were selling it way cheaper (250 euro for the whole set), so the choice was easy. I was considering the Dension 500s or the Fiscon Pro, but they were 400 euro each (granted with bluetooth). Still I will add a 100 euro bluetooth adapter to the AMI, and it should be okay.

As my car is in for repairs right now (just bought it several weeks ago, and I am still clearing out all the bad stuff in it ) I cannot start installing the AMI right away.

So now the questions...

1. As I have two CD changers in the glove box, I figure I need to just remove the second one, and put the AMI in its place (plug and play), thus not needing the optic cable set that came with the unit, or I still need to rewire something?

2. Originally I was considering the Dension and the Fiscon because I want A2DP bluetooth streaming, coupled with phone support (contacts, last dialed numbers, missed calls, etc.). But after the 5570 update, the car's original bluetooth adapter actually synced with my phone's contacts, so I'll be sticking with it (on the phone side), but am still going to need A2DP streaming. In this case I intend to use the
ViseeO Tune2air WMA1000 ViseeO Tune2air WMA1000
. The idea is to set the phone to use the Audi bluetooth adapter for the phone functions and the ViseeO addon for the music functions. My android phone supports this function. The question is if somebody have already tried something like that.

3. As I am going to buy the bluetooth adapter at a later stage, I was wondering if I connect my phone (4.4.2 android) to the AMI with the AMI usb cable + the normal charging cable for the phone, will it recognize it as an USB storage device (again standard function of the android devices).

4. Is the music played from the bluetooth adapter controllable through the MMI controls (wheel buttons, and MMI console buttons)?

And one not AMI related question... Does anybody know, what voltage the phone cradle inside the arm rest is using. I want to install an wireless charging plate there, and I'm not sure if it works only with 12V or with 5V, too.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

1. You shouldn't have to remove your second CD changer although I don't know where you'd fit the AMI then.

2. It should work.

3. What kind of phone is it? Thing with Android is different manufacturers do different things with respect to how the phone mounts. And that negates if the phone will work through USB with AMI.

4. According to the product page: "Also access and control play, stop, next and previous song via multi-functional steering wheel." So I would assume yes although I don't have that product or AMI to test with.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the answer. I'm with a LG G pro2, and the respective mode is called "media sync". On PC it behaves as a simple mass storage device, but with more features through some LG apps (haven't tried them...).

Once I'm able to test it, I'll post an update.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So today I've finally managed to find some time and install the Audio Media Interface (AMI) into the car. As expected it was plug and play. The second CD changer didn't gave in easy, and I had to take out the whole glove glove box. The cables were the same and the device starter working right away.

It was fairly slow in recognizing the USB stick, but after that worked smoothly.

At first, when I tried my LG G pro2 (4.4.2 Android) phone with it, the AMI tried to initialize it for 15-20 seconds and failed. When I tried with a HTC One M8, it failed right away with "cable not compatible with AMI", and it is the same cable.

On the LG, through Developer Mode, I've turned on "USB Debugging" and the AMI recognized it. I can now browse through every folder in the phone, and of course play music. All controls from the MMI work, and the song tracks are shown both on the MMI display and the speedometer display.

Enabling the same function on the HTC One M8 didn't make it work, thou...

I'll be getting the bluetooth addon, may be next month, so I'm going do an update once I test it.