A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Air suspension woes… or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air suspension woes… or not?

Time for me to scratch the hyve mind… for the last 5 or 6 months I have had fault code 01583 “leak detected in system - implausible signal”.
Usually the fault comes on within the first few minutes of driving, sometimes after a few miles, sometimes not at all. If I clear it, sometimes the fault comes back almost immediately and sometimes it stays away for the rest of the drive. When I check live data, the front left is consistently lower by 12 to over 20mm while driving (fault seems to come up when the difference is over 18mm). Front is actually level, 1 or 2mm difference measured on level ground. Both front struts are aftermarket, front left replaced by a previous owner (can’t discover a brand) and I replaced the front right in ‘22 with an Arnott. Have not sprayed them with soapy water yet, but there are no audible leaks; a leaking bag or line should have gotten worse and worse over time, or just failed completely and it has not gotten worse at all.
The car has not let me down (literally) once, tried parking it overnight in all modes, jack mode on and off, never had any problems. Sometimes it takes the pump a long time to raise the car, usually when the fault code is active, sometimes it’s perfectly normal. No codes stored in module 55. Visually checked sensors, nothing weird. At this point I’m suspecting electronics, either a faulty ride height calibration, bad level sensor or maybe the valve block… what can I try next?
Old 04-25-2024, 10:15 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The fault code 01583 "leak detected in system - implausible signal" on your Audi typically indicates a problem with the air suspension system. Given your description, While you haven't noticed any audible leaks, it's still worth inspecting the air suspension components, including the airbags (struts), air lines, and connections, for any signs of visible leaks. Even small leaks can trigger the fault code and affect the performance of the system. Using a soapy water solution can help identify leaks by producing bubbles where air is escaping. Inspect the airbags (struts) on both the front left (replaced by previous owner) and the front right (replaced by you) for any signs of damage or wear. Pay attention to the condition of the airbag, including cracks, tears, or deformities, which could indicate a leak.

Since you're experiencing a consistent difference in ride height between the front left and front right, it's essential to ensure that the air suspension sensors are properly aligned and calibrated. Any misalignment or calibration issue could lead to inaccurate readings and trigger the fault code. You may need to have the suspension system recalibrated using diagnostic equipment. The fault code may also be caused by a malfunctioning air suspension control module. Have the control module scanned for any stored fault codes and check for proper communication with other vehicle systems. If necessary, reprogramming or replacing the control module may be required. Ensure that all wiring and electrical connections related to the air suspension system are secure and free from damage or corrosion. Faulty connections or wiring can disrupt the signal between components and trigger fault codes.

If you're unable to identify the cause of the fault code or if the issue persists despite your efforts, it may be best to seek assistance from a qualified Audi technician or dealership. They have access to specialized diagnostic equipment and resources to pinpoint the exact cause of the problem. By systematically inspecting and troubleshooting the air suspension system, you can hopefully identify and resolve the issue causing the fault code 01583 in your Audi A6.
Old 04-27-2024, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 151 Likes on 135 Posts

The first thing I'd try is, move the height sensors around. See if the faults follows. If it stays at the same wheel, then I'd check the valveblock. Do the old soap and water trick on all the fittings.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sallad:
sswari (04-28-2024), stefan-w (04-29-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by EuroPartShop!
The fault code 01583 "leak detected in system - implausible signal" on your Audi typically indicates a problem with the air suspension system. Given your description, While you haven't noticed any audible leaks, it's still worth inspecting the air suspension components, including the airbags (struts), air lines, and connections, for any signs of visible leaks. Even small leaks can trigger the fault code and affect the performance of the system. Using a soapy water solution can help identify leaks by producing bubbles where air is escaping. Inspect the airbags (struts) on both the front left (replaced by previous owner) and the front right (replaced by you) for any signs of damage or wear. Pay attention to the condition of the airbag, including cracks, tears, or deformities, which could indicate a leak.

Since you're experiencing a consistent difference in ride height between the front left and front right, it's essential to ensure that the air suspension sensors are properly aligned and calibrated. Any misalignment or calibration issue could lead to inaccurate readings and trigger the fault code. You may need to have the suspension system recalibrated using diagnostic equipment. The fault code may also be caused by a malfunctioning air suspension control module. Have the control module scanned for any stored fault codes and check for proper communication with other vehicle systems. If necessary, reprogramming or replacing the control module may be required. Ensure that all wiring and electrical connections related to the air suspension system are secure and free from damage or corrosion. Faulty connections or wiring can disrupt the signal between components and trigger fault codes.

If you're unable to identify the cause of the fault code or if the issue persists despite your efforts, it may be best to seek assistance from a qualified Audi technician or dealership. They have access to specialized diagnostic equipment and resources to pinpoint the exact cause of the problem. By systematically inspecting and troubleshooting the air suspension system, you can hopefully identify and resolve the issue causing the fault code 01583 in your Audi A6.
Using AI much lately? HA
Old 04-29-2024, 02:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Sallad
The first thing I'd try is, move the height sensors around. See if the faults follows. If it stays at the same wheel, then I'd check the valveblock. Do the old soap and water trick on all the fittings.
Hm, could try that. Last friday I had a new to me code pop up too, “02646 plausibility level control - implausible signal”. Didn’t come back after clearing though.

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by sswari
Using AI much lately? HA
not that I’m a regular here, but join date feb 2024, with that username, and an AI generated epistle like that… as a moderator I’d be more than a little suspicious

Last edited by stefan-w; 04-29-2024 at 02:40 AM.
Old 04-29-2024, 02:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Sallad
Hm, could try that. Last friday I had a new to me code pop up too, “02646 plausibility level control - implausible signal”. Didn’t come back after clearing though.