A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

advanced key/starter

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 06:53 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advanced key/starter

I started the car using the start button. The engine engaged but the starter kept on cranking. It would not stop. I shut down, restarted and all was well. Anyone have a clue what happened to my starter?
Old 05-02-2010, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could easily be the switch is bad..replacing a starter can be a nightmare on some Audi's from what I've read.. you don't want to ruin it for the cost of a switch.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:05 AM
Audiworld Senior Member

I agree. Car is still under warranty, so I'm covered. I wanted a diagnosis before I go to dealer. For now, I'll start the car by inserting the key.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If as you stated it engaged and kept cranking, then I would have to assume there is nothing wrong with the starter. How long did you let it crank?

My 2005 does this from time to time, but eventually starts. I have found that if I hit start without my foot on the brake, wait 2 seconds then hit start again with my foot on the brake the engine starts very quickly. Happens more often the cold weather, but it seems to start more quickly this way all the time.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:45 AM
IMD
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by guags99
If as you stated it engaged and kept cranking, then I would have to assume there is nothing wrong with the starter. How long did you let it crank?

My 2005 does this from time to time, but eventually starts. I have found that if I hit start without my foot on the brake, wait 2 seconds then hit start again with my foot on the brake the engine starts very quickly. Happens more often the cold weather, but it seems to start more quickly this way all the time.
That's how it should be. press the brake pedal and u hit the start button twice(first hit is contact second start)
Old 05-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Originally Posted by guags99

Sorry, but maybe I did not explain it well enough. I pressed the start button and the engine started but the starter kept on cranking even though the engine was running. I shut down the engine right away fearing the starter would get ruined. I've had this car for over two years so I know something was not right this time.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jefman
Sorry, but maybe I did not explain it well enough. I pressed the start button and the engine started but the starter kept on cranking even though the engine was running. I shut down the engine right away fearing the starter would get ruined. I've had this car for over two years so I know something was not right this time.
There has to be something that sense when the engine is started and stop the cranking. Maybe someone in here know how that works, but like others have said, I would not risk damaging the starter. Take to the dealer ASAP.