A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-07-2016, 01:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Adaptive Headlight Defective

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 09:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adaptive Headlight Defective

Hello there,

I was driving my 2008 Audi A6 two days ago when I got this error on my dashboard and the Adaptive Lights (both) stopped working.

I've read alot of threads which all said the same two things, change the control model or the entire front headlight unit.

after scanning my Audi with VCDS, the problem was the left headlight motor, I read somewhere on the internet that 2005~2008 headlights (no LED strip) motor can be changed alone without changing the entire unit and I found this:

http://genuineaudiparts.com/parts/20...Adjust%20motor

anybody here can give me some information? my warranty is out and a new headlight unit will cost 1200$

Can I change the motor alone?
Old 03-29-2014, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Before you do anything call your dealer and see if Audi will replace it. I got the same message on my 2005 just a few months ago and the dealer replaced the entire unit for free.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can NOT change the adaptive headlight motor. That motor is for horizontal movement and is built into the headlight housing. You CAN change the vertical self leveling motor, which all Xenon headlights must have per regulation. The error message on you dashboard is probably for the horizontal motor, however, when you scan the car with VCDS it should tell you which motor is bad, maybe you will get lucky.

FWIW, I had this problem a few years back, when I opened the rear headlight housing door, I noticed the wires were frayed causing a short. So I carefully taped the wires and it lasted for about a year. When the errors messages stared coming back I replaced the entire unit with a used one for $100. If you are getting "Open or Short circuit" errors, take a look at the wiring.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
Before you do anything call your dealer and see if Audi will replace it. I got the same message on my 2005 just a few months ago and the dealer replaced the entire unit for free.
I called two local dealers, and they said they were not aware of the free replacement program.
Can you check your invoice and see what was the warranty code the dealer used?
Thanks.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by newa6er
You can NOT change the adaptive headlight motor. That motor is for horizontal movement and is built into the headlight housing. You CAN change the vertical self leveling motor, which all Xenon headlights must have per regulation. The error message on you dashboard is probably for the horizontal motor, however, when you scan the car with VCDS it should tell you which motor is bad, maybe you will get lucky.

FWIW, I had this problem a few years back, when I opened the rear headlight housing door, I noticed the wires were frayed causing a short. So I carefully taped the wires and it lasted for about a year. When the errors messages stared coming back I replaced the entire unit with a used one for $100. If you are getting "Open or Short circuit" errors, take a look at the wiring.

I have a friend at the dealer here, so I went and scan my car there with VAS.
error went "Left Cornering Motor Open or Short Circuit" my car is 2008 with the pre face-lift headlights which I can change the motor for cornering without changing the entire unit.

after getting the headlight out, the motor is next to the Xenon Starter and all you need to do is unscrew 2 screws and the motor is out.

using the same part number I got the new Motor and installed it, delete all the faults and start the scan again...I got the same Error!

so I swapped the Left/Right Headlight and repeated the scan, I got en Error on the Left Motor which was connected to the Right Headlight!?

after that I tried a new headlight unit from the dealer, after moving the missing parts (Control Modules, Xenon Bulb + Starter) and repeated the scan...it went OK.

It seems that the wires inside the headlight is causing the problem assuming that the Motor is ok, I checked every wire I can see from the back of my headlight it seems ok!

1.Do u think I can do anything to the headlight before deciding what to do?
2.Why the car still give the same Error after Swapping Left/Right?

new headlight will cost me 1200$, any reliable source to get used cheaper housing?

Last edited by Pentium3210; 05-23-2014 at 01:46 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
there is nothing like that here, my dealer got surprised and he knows nothin about this!
Old 05-23-2014, 02:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

here is a picture of the headlight, that's the motor I changed:
Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2014, 07:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The cornering motor is the thing labeled "MF13" in your picture. I can pretty much guarantee that the wiring is split and shorting or broken. The headlights are branded Hella. You might be able to get new wiring from them. I have the same issue and have attempted to repair it twice by completely disassembling the headlight and repairing the wiring. The problem I've had is the more I fix the wiring the more the wiring falls apart. I've given up on repairing it.

Last edited by dafrazi; 05-23-2014 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

I agree with dafrazi, first of all, I am pretty sure you replace the self leveling motor and not the cornering motor, second, once the wiring starts to go it is difficult to completely repair it. I purchased a used unit from an accident low miles but broken tabs, I fabricated tabs and installed the unit and have not had any issues then
Old 05-24-2014, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dafrazi
The cornering motor is the thing labeled "MF13" in your picture. I can pretty much guarantee that the wiring is split and shorting or broken. The headlights are branded Hella. You might be able to get new wiring from them. I have the same issue and have attempted to repair it twice by completely disassembling the headlight and repairing the wiring. The problem I've had is the more I fix the wiring the more the wiring falls apart. I've given up on repairing it.
Hi,

That is NOT the corning motor that is labeled in the photo. The cornering light is internal and can not be replaced. Best bet, find a used one at a junk yard with return policy. I paid $550 just to be able to remove the piece of electrical tape from my display.

Quick Reply: Adaptive Headlight Defective