A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2007 Audi A6 AUX

Old 03-26-2017, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Audi A6 AUX

I have searched everywhere for the best way to add an auxiliary input to my 2007 Audi A6 to play music from my iPhone. Does anyone know anything about this? I did find one video of someone doing it, but they want you to buy their stuff to do it which would end up costing over $250. All I want is to play music through my speakers at the highest quality possible without spending a lot to do it. I don't care if I have to get rid of my CD player. Please help! What are my options?
Old 03-26-2017, 06:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, there are some options.

first off, do you have the AMI? It is usually located next to the CD player. You can't miss it but if you just have the CD player, you will have to work around.

first option is to find a used AMI on eBay, and install it yourself. You can find the video to do so on YouTube or even on the search option here. This will run you anywhere from 100-400 depending on the condition of the AMI device.

if you can't find the AMI as it has to be specific to our car, because of the model numbers and such, then you can try dension. They are plenty alternatives here on the cheaper end and much more expensive end. You get what you pay for and a simple search via the web can educate you about Denison and the good work they have done upgrading many people's audi.

You might think the Denison is too expensive, if so I would suggest an FM transmitter. They are dirt cheap but you definitely won't get the quality you are looking for.

i would recommend investing in a Denison, and getting it over with. If you spend time looking for a cheap run around you will only frustrate yourself in the end.

to conclude, I would suggest looking for the AMI first. If that fails, invest in a used Denison and keep yourself happy.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

I'd also investigate Xcarlink or a Raspberry Pi interface, which will allow FAR more flexibility than anything else on the market.

The latter will require a lot more hands on modding, but if you're comfortable with a solder iron and have basic PC background...it's worth it imho.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am considering getting aux input fm transmitter for this.
It may be the cheap and easy way, but I'll give it a try & see...
Old 03-28-2017, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I have had a few over the years, but moved to this one because of the size.
Amazon Amazon
Works great. I was going to tap into an ignition switched fuse in the trunk and leave it there. Only problem I have found is that all of the 12 volt outlets in the car are not switched with the ignition so leaving something plugged into it will drain the battery.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by PoorNYC
Yes, there are some options.

first off, do you have the AMI? It is usually located next to the CD player. You can't miss it but if you just have the CD player, you will have to work around.

first option is to find a used AMI on eBay, and install it yourself. You can find the video to do so on YouTube or even on the search option here. This will run you anywhere from 100-400 depending on the condition of the AMI device.

if you can't find the AMI as it has to be specific to our car, because of the model numbers and such, then you can try dension. They are plenty alternatives here on the cheaper end and much more expensive end. You get what you pay for and a simple search via the web can educate you about Denison and the good work they have done upgrading many people's audi.

You might think the Denison is too expensive, if so I would suggest an FM transmitter. They are dirt cheap but you definitely won't get the quality you are looking for.

i would recommend investing in a Denison, and getting it over with. If you spend time looking for a cheap run around you will only frustrate yourself in the end.

to conclude, I would suggest looking for the AMI first. If that fails, invest in a used Denison and keep yourself happy.
Thank you for all of this. I don't have the AMI. I'm using an FM transmitter right now, but am not totally satisfied. I think I'm going to go with XCarLink. They have a money back guarantee, so I feel like I have nothing to lose. Thanks, again!
Old 03-28-2017, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by raj99
I'd also investigate Xcarlink or a Raspberry Pi interface, which will allow FAR more flexibility than anything else on the market.

The latter will require a lot more hands on modding, but if you're comfortable with a solder iron and have basic PC background...it's worth it imho.
Thank you very much! I wasn't aware of XCarLink for some reason. I'm going to go with that because it seems to be a little more simple to do. I don't know why they were hard to find online, but it sounds like that will work and the price is not too bad at right around $150.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by dzywicki
I have had a few over the years, but moved to this one because of the size. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Works great. I was going to tap into an ignition switched fuse in the trunk and leave it there. Only problem I have found is that all of the 12 volt outlets in the car are not switched with the ignition so leaving something plugged into it will drain the battery.
I was considering getting that one, but I ended up getting
this one this one
several months ago and have had it plugged in continuously. I haven't encountered any battery draining issues whatsoever even though it is always on when the car is off.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by LarryJa
I am considering getting aux input fm transmitter for this.
It may be the cheap and easy way, but I'll give it a try & see...
I'd say go for it! I've been using
this one this one
for months now with really no problems exact for not-incredible sound quality, but it sounds good enough! It's cheap, gets the job done, and doesn't drain my car battery at all even though it always stays on (even when the car is off).
Old 03-28-2017, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Your original ask was "All I want is to play music through my speakers at the highest quality possible without spending a lot to do it."

You can't have high-quality without spending some $$. So if you aren't willing to spend the money on an AMI, Dension, Xcarlink and you don't have the skills to add a Raspberry Pi option...then you might as well go for the lowest quality and lowest cost option - the FM option.