A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2007 Audi S6 – Carbon Buildup – Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone want to comment on the solution???? If it works to reduce the likelihood, it's worth it.... Thoughts???
Old 12-10-2010, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The best one I can think of is getting it cleaned. I will be getting it done every 10-15K miles or so during my ownership going forward.

I heard of RS4 guys getting it done here locally every 10K miles. My brother has a catch can on his 2.0T, and it still needed a decarb cleaning. I believe there is currently no solution to this, and decarb cleaning I read will become regular maintenance on all Audi engines if you want them to perform to their specs. Of course Audi will tell you differently, and will tell you not to worry until a code is thrown. I mean, why would Audi care if your car is being robbed of performance if the light is not on?

I really want Motor Trend or Road & Track to get a feel for this situation. I mean, they push Audi cars as great performers, but they only perform well for the first 5-10K miles. Then its all down hill from there.

Originally Posted by Leeladisky
Anyone want to comment on the solution???? If it works to reduce the likelihood, it's worth it.... Thoughts???
Old 12-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My idea was if I could get away with cleaning every 30k instead of 15k the catch can did the job. Just my $.02
Old 12-10-2010, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this a fsi specific problem? I have a 2006 4.2 (non fsi) Should I be concerned?
Old 12-10-2010, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 116 Posts

This is an FSI specific problem.

The catch can may help but there is already a cyclonic oil separator on at least the 3.2, I am not sure about the V10 or V8. If the cyclonic separator does not get the oil out of the air I have my doubts that a simple catch can will do much to help but if it is cheap it is worth a try.

From my reading of the forums this problem appears to be the worse on V10's for some reason.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

http://finance.alphatrade.com/story/...__DC71576.html

Call these guys and read this....it's not been widely publicized....I just left s message. I don't care if Audi cares, the problem is that if it is a required part of regular maintenance to keep the Audi vehicle performing to factory specs, then Audi had/has a duty to disclose it's cost as part of those routine maintenance items like timing belts and oil so that a buyer has that knowledge to make an informed buying decision. Maintenance item or not, they know about the problem, and are therefore obligated to disclose it.

I love my Audi and do nit think a conspiracy is afoot here, so I do believe Audi will ultimately do the right thing... The problem is waiting. I do not want to wait for them to acknowledge the problem. I just contacted a local Audi shop familiar with this issue who states that a few hard test runs with the Vag attached, wherein the vehicle timing is pushed forward to the max and the car needs MORE will likely indicate a carbon buildup problem exists... It's not you've crossed this point or misfires actually occur that a MIL will occur. Audi needs to acknowledge that repeat MILS should not be required - I mean, after all, if that was the case, they should program the computer to be less sensitive and automatically account for this...but they don't... Why? Because the dealers are not reporting the problems when they simply reset the CEL and send customers away to see if it occurs again. It's BS! They should not turn customers away and simply reset a CEL.

Call these guys!!!!!
Old 12-13-2010, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

I'm thinking the quality of fuel has something to do with it. I use regular, but usually a name brand.

My '0 Beetle turbo (1.8L) says premium fuel. I use regular but always a name brand. Engine had to come apart because the timing belt failed at 95k (VW ate the rebuild since the interval is 105k). There was no carbon on the valves and the oil passages were coke-free. I also use full synthetic with the VW 503 designator.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
I'm thinking the quality of fuel has something to do with it. I use regular, but usually a name brand.

My '0 Beetle turbo (1.8L) says premium fuel. I use regular but always a name brand. Engine had to come apart because the timing belt failed at 95k (VW ate the rebuild since the interval is 105k). There was no carbon on the valves and the oil passages were coke-free. I also use full synthetic with the VW 503 designator.
This is not a fair comparison. The VW was not an FSI engine. The fuel injection in the VW occurs in the intake manifold so that the fuel passes over the valves and the detergent in the fuel keeps the valves clean. An FSI engine injects directly into the cylinders and therefore there is no flow over the intake valves.

As a side comment - You really should be running higher octane gas in your turbo. I suppose the knock sensors may keep you from destroying your engine but you are losing a lot of power. Turbos can really benefit from higher octane.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Please email me or PM me if you had paid for this service on your s6 or other Audi vehicle....the attorneys that won the case above may be interested in expanding the class to protect us, as well... However, they need someone(s) who has paid for this to start the process... This is big!

Lee@PDAanyware.com
Old 12-14-2010, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My service rep told me he was doing me a favor by doing the decarb cleaning. I am not sure what that means and whether or not I would have had to pay for it otherwise.

Again, Audi does not see the power loss as being an issue and will not take care of the problem simply because it is there. Audi and the dealer will only act on it if there is a code thrown and if the car is still under warranty.

I suspect I was driving with 55 less wheel HP for quite some time now. And just to put this in perspective, 55 AWHP is about 70 HP to the crank. Now subtract 70 from 435 and you get 365... so basically my S6 with carbon buildup had as much power as a regular 4.2... makes me sick.

Originally Posted by Leeladisky
Please email me or PM me if you had paid for this service on your s6 or other Audi vehicle....the attorneys that won the case above may be interested in expanding the class to protect us, as well... However, they need someone(s) who has paid for this to start the process... This is big!

Lee@PDAanyware.com

Quick Reply: 2007 Audi S6 – Carbon Buildup – Dyno